saddam's hed his neck stretched!!

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Italy will use its seat in the United Nations Security Council to campaign for a world-wide condemnation of the death penalty, Prime Minister Romano Prodi said Tuesday.

"Italy will move within the UN Security Council so that the condemnation of the death penalty may become operational and common in all the countries of the world," daily La Repubblica quoted Prodi as saying.

Italy joined the UN's top decision-making body for a two-year term on Monday. The overwhelmingly Catholic country has traditionally opposed the death penalty and its leaders have strongly condemned last week's execution of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

Prodi made his comment after a meeting with the leader of the country's tiny but combative Radical Party, Marco Pannella. Pannella has gone on a hunger strike to push for a world-wide moratorium on the death penalty.

Doctors have expressed "serious concern" over the deteriorating medical condition of the 70-year-old leader, who was on his eighth day without food on Tuesday.

Lets hope Prodi gets his way.

I agree with you Wheesht, it was terrible the way it was done, and the taunts and jibes being shouted made a barbaric, almost medieval scene.

Strange how our (or mine at least) point of view can change by the way information is brought to us. When you look at all the past footage of this tyrant at work, mass murder, gassings, executions, making the citizens under his power and even his own family live in constant fear and terror for their lives, he is one of the most evil buggers on the face of the Earth. That he can be brought down to a poor, dishevelled looking man of nearly 70 years of age, standing with a noose around his neck with any last bit of dignity fading, knowing that his seconds are ticking away with a grainy, shakey video clip form a mobile phone is very powerful media. I wouldn't go as far as to say there was a pang of sympathy, not a bit of it, but it's the way it is shown that had the biggest effect.

I was also surprised at the Beeb showing footage from the mobile phone of the act, (except the actual drop of course). They seem to stoop lower and lower in a bid to get more viewers than their rivals.

So, of all the crimes commited by Saddam, how many of them could Dubya put a tick in the same box? Answers on a postcard.

Like so many of the totally destructive wars that are raging on our rock, religion and power are at the root of it.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Guest Anonymous

i do know think they cicumstances surrounding sadam's neck stretchin wisna fairly write, hit wid a been mair fun ta dress him up in a pink nightgown we curlers in an dan hae kieth cheguin burst in and announce dat hes just wun a holiday in florida fur a fortnight afore quickly pullin the trap door

Taunts and jibes and the sheer humiliation of a former head of state may be a more than a little nauseating to some of us in the west, and it'll no doubt be seen as offensive to the people of his faith but part of me is in favour of the film clip and images being out in the public. As I see it these dictators and warlords thrive on power and the public image of being untouchable. Breaking the dicator down to a mere helpless old shuffling man, proves that justice (i know other punishments would have been prefered by many of us in the west) will catch you eventually.

Saddam was top of his tree, his subjects feared and were murdered by him while he was allowed to operate from with that position of power. That position of power was built and maintained through the perception of unfaultering revengeful, life or death, POWER!!!

My point is that, in some way, this may act as a deterent to those who think they can accent to a position of power through the use of stamping on people who disagree with them. Saddams last minutes will be viewed over and over again in the region for years to come. There can be no doubt that he suffered a dignified stately death befitting someone of power, he died as he lived, with no pity and no respect. In my opinion - serves him right.

I think this quote sums up pretty well the soft pc world we now live in.

''There seems to be a lot of concern about the last two minutes of Saddam Hussein's life and less about the first 69 [years], in which he murdered hundreds of thousands of people,"

The majority of his victims were killed when he was an ally of the West, and so few objections were made at the time.