Rangers new manager

mon-e-whitedale

I originally said that he was my preference for the Rangers job, then someone told me he had an alcohol problem. Anyone heard that?

Going by all the papers today he will fit right in then?

I still cant see anyone but Smith and McCoist taking charge though, Smiths said his goodbyes to the Scotland backround staff.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Burley

I originally said that he was my preference for the Rangers job, then someone told me he had an alcohol problem. Anyone heard that?

Nonsense. Mind you Barry Ferguson and Hutton have drink problems in the same way. Its a "Scottisch culture" thing and is part of the reason PLG failed at Ibrox if you read the Daily Record.

Sorry Wheest, are you saying Burley does or doesn't have a drink problem?

The old Scottish [drinking] culture thing was much raved about back in the good old days of Rangers dominance. "A team that drinks together wins together" or something similar was the phrase always used.

I don't care whether we go the Scottish way or the Swahili way, it should be the new managers decision, whats important is that the whole club goes the same way.

Oh weel, be good tae get back tae hatin' Walter Smith I suppose. I defy anybody not tae efter seein' dis "interview":

Seen that interview a good while ago. It provides even more reason to respect Mr Smith. Taking no nonsense or idiotic questions from Chick Dung is to be commended. Yes, it will be nice to see the bigots from the Tranny Army coming to fore and rising up against him if and when he becomes gaffer of The Rangers once again. Don't worry though it seems as the hordes of jacobites in their "See You Jimmy" bunnets and wigs will be placated when the SFA appoint Tommy Burns.

Oh weel, be good tae get back tae hatin' Walter Smith I suppose. I defy anybody not tae efter seein' dis "interview":

Seen that interview a good while ago. It provides even more reason to respect Mr Smith. Taking no nonsense or idiotic questions from Chick Dung is to be commended. Yes, it will be nice to see the bigots from the Tranny Army coming to fore and rising up against him if and when he becomes gaffer of The Rangers once again. Don't worry though it seems as the hordes of jacobites in their "See You Jimmy" bunnets and wigs will be placated when the SFA appoint Tommy Burns.

What is that all about?

Jacobites? What are you reffering to Stan, is it a problrm with the dress or the fact that Jacobites were of a different religion to the one you would like?

Jacobites? What are you reffering to Stan, is it a problrm with the dress or the fact that Jacobites were of a different religion to the one you would like?

I don't care what religion anybody is. My description of 'Jacobites' relates to the demeanor and tartan bedecked dress of many of these 'fans' for which Jacobites were known (even though some of those that fought against them also wore tartan). I don't have a problem with it. Just looks daft at times. No religious connotation was intended or even thought about.

Wow - Spik aboot your "typical Rangers fan".

Didn't the Romanov revolution try to spin that line in the weeks after Burley left Hearts?

There was a rumour, back in the day, that Uncle Ebbe had a drink problem whilst he was at Aberdeen. Allegedly the Record got wind of it and managed to get their hands on his mini-bar bill from the team hotel used before the 2000 Scottish Cup Final (the one where Rod Wallace did an "Ally McCoist" on Jim Leighton's face) only to find that Uncle Ebbe had nothing more than a bag of nuts. They weren't so "on the ball" a few years later with Pele, were they?

My dislike for Walter Smith won't have anything to do with bigotry. It'll probably stem from him abandoning the national team when its going through the most succesful phase in nearly 10 years. The fact he is going to Rangers just annoys me more.

And Tommy Burns can flock off.

Didn't the Romanov revolution try to spin that line in the weeks after Burley left Hearts?

He does constantly have a sort of tipsy sounding slur in his voice, so it really wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

My dislike for Walter Smith won't have anything to do with bigotry. It'll probably stem from him abandoning the national team when its going through the most succesful phase in nearly 10 years...

"Abandoning" is a bit of a strong word. Just ask yourself what you would do if someone was willing to treble (or more) your wages, they say everyone has a price. Walters career looked like it was over after getting sacked from Everton, I'd say he was due another decent contract before pension age.

And anyway, you seem to be holding against him the success that he himself has created, that's not fair.

He does constantly have a sort of tipsy sounding slur in his voice, so it really wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

My dislike for Walter Smith won't have anything to do with bigotry. It'll probably stem from him abandoning the national team when its going through the most succesful phase in nearly 10 years...

"Abandoning" is a bit of a strong word. Just ask yourself what you would do if someone was willing to treble (or more) your wages, they say everyone has a price. Walters career looked like it was over after getting sacked from Everton, I'd say he was due another decent contract before pension age.

And anyway, you seem to be holding against him the success that he himself has created, that's not fair.

If he leaves the national team completely, he is abandoning us. At the moment, it seems he is quite happy to leave us managerless for his beloved Rangers. I hope the SFA seek adequate compensation so we can get a top quality manager in the interim. In some ways though, I'm glad he's leaving if he values the national team with such low priority.

Good luck at Rangers Walter, I hope you can clinch that UEFA Cup spot!

If he leaves the national team completely, he is abandoning us. At the moment, it seems he is quite happy to leave us managerless for his beloved Rangers. I hope the SFA seek adequate compensation so we can get a top quality manager in the interim. In some ways though, I'm glad he's leaving if he values the national team with such low priority.

Do you really think that he would have achieved what he has with the national squad if it was a low priority to him?

And I ask again, can you really say that if your wages were going to go up by that kind of amount, that you wouldn't do the same thing? Add to that Walter being near retirement age and its an easy decision.

Walter Smith has just been announced as the new manager on a three year deal. Good news for the teddy bears, not so good for Scotland though.

McCoist and McDowall took training this morning at Murray Park. Press conference on Sky Sports News at 2.30pm this afternoon.

C'mon the Gers!

So are you saying then that you can make honey out of cats shoite?

Walter Smith has just been announced as the new manager on a three year deal. Good news for the teddy bears, not so good for Scotland though.

McCoist and McDowall took training this morning at Murray Park. Press conference on Sky Sports News at 2.30pm this afternoon.

C'mon the Gers!

its funny how excited rangers fans are getting about this :D

u were all exactly the same when le guen took over, claiming rangers were gonna win the treble and dominate the league for years to come! now look at the state he has left u in :lol:

now all it has taken to make u all exited again is appointing walter again, its gonna take him years to sort out the mess le guen has left. but rangers fans wont give him years. rangers = no trophies :lol:

So are you saying then that you can make honey out of cats shoite?

Mr Smith managed to do it with Scotland! Have you looked at the European Championship group table recently? Have you compared the performances under both managers with similar squads?

This situation is bringing out the real feelings of some folk towards Rangers and those connected with the club. Pure hatred. They hate Rangers more than they love their own club or country. Which is why their opinions, preaching and finger-pointing regarding anything Rangers related should be ignored or laughed at as their views cannot be considered balanced.

Now, when these people decide to put their hatred aside and think about the situation, they will find that when most international managers are inteviewed they say that they miss the day-to-day involvement that a club manager has. If the opportunity arises for them to become a club manager, and particularly at a club that, as Walter says "is in his blood" how can they turn it down, even without bringing the matter of salary into the equation. Manager of Scotland is a thankless task. He only had 18 months left on his contact. Despite the great strides made in improving the team, the SFA have not made him an improved offer on his contract. If they thought he was that good, why did they not secure him until at least beyond the next World Cup?

Why don't the SFA and the so-called Tartan Army spokespersons/representatives or whatever just say; "Thank you Mr Smith for getting Scotland back on track. Your successor can now build on the work you have begun. We appreciate and understand that the pull of Rangers is too great. We wish you well in your new job". But no, we get Shuggie McNaebody on the TV telling us all how he has let the Scotland fans down and then the SFA claiming that they intend to sue Mr Smith for breach of contract and looking for compensation from Rangers. If they sit down at the table with Martin Bain like reasonable businessmen, I'm sure a satisfactory agreement for payment would be reached rather than bleating to the press about how disappointed and hard done by they are. If that's their attitude, i.e being ungrateful for the time that Mr Smith has already put in then nae wonder he's left!