The most bizarre place you've bumped into a Shetlander?

peeriebryan

On my honeymoon in 2003 my wife and I were in Thailand where we took a boat trip to where they filmed 'The Beach'. After spending all morning on this small boat sunbathing we heard, "Ower yunder!" coming from these two guys. Turns out they were fae Burra.

Also saw Shetland lass walk past me at time square in NY.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiakikii beach in Hawaii, met a goudie fellow that had emigrated to Oz a couple of years earlier, Algeria at the airport, Syria in the middle of the dessert, having a smoke on the roof of the hotel in majorca, a cat house in viena, dubai in a bar, amsterdam in a coffee shop, aberdeen in a police cell, and there are surely a few more.

Dunna Keen if dis counts or no but I met a guy joost Today in the falklands dat wiz wearin a Northlink baseball hat so i started Yarnin wi him an he said his daughter wiz married tae a Shetland felloo. I couldna believe it of aa da places.

In da pub here i got a excellent reception when dey found oot i wiz fae Shetland whit a Place :D

Dunna Keen if dis counts or no but I met a guy joost Today in the falklands dat wiz wearin a Northlink baseball hat so i started Yarnin wi him an he said his daughter wiz married tae a Shetland felloo. I couldna believe it of aa da places.

In da pub here i got a excellent reception when dey found oot i wiz fae Shetland whit a Place :D

It sure is bobbyslater it sure is :D

I was married in west Falklands very nearly 12 year ago theres a few Shetlanders been down in the Falklands over the years me included.

I was havin a bottle of beer in the country bar of Orchard towers singapore when I saw a boy that was a year younger than me at school. I quickly got the beers in and shouted to him out the door "hey billy come doo in aboot fur a pint" the beer was ready on the table and I had sat down again he was still standin we his mouth open winderin if he was seeing things.

• 2 weeks later...
I was havin a bottle of beer in the country bar of Orchard towers singapore when I saw a boy that was a year younger than me at school. I quickly got the beers in and shouted to him out the door "hey billy come doo in aboot fur a pint" the beer was ready on the table and I had sat down again he was still standin we his mouth open winderin if he was seeing things.

ha ha no change in dee beefy !!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought there was already a thread related to this but couldn't find it.

(*** Mod - found it for you ;) It's not quite the same topic, I guess, but close enough... ***)

But on Saturday I ended up in posers.. ( yes i know i should know better ) went for a number 1 in the toilet.. came out of toilet and this guy stood in front of me I then have quick thoughts of ohh {'f' it was funny in Father Ted 'eck'} flying through my mind.....

only to hear these words " ARE YOU TWERTO" then a huge smile and laugh from me and a wink and a dodgy hand shake I said AYE i am the accused

I wont name you, but it was good to meet you, and sorry for not chatting I was a. in a state of shock, and b. to drunk for any sensible chat anyway :P

• 1 month later...

When my family went on holiday and we were having a break at a village between Inverness and Fraserburgh (can't remember what it was called!) as we sat outside and ate some ice-cream and having a little chat in the sun, someone came next to us and said "Do you come from Shetland? 'Cause I think I know you lot" we didn't have a single clue who the person was and looked at each other in confusion.

When my family went on holiday and we were having a break at a village between Inverness and Fraserburgh (can't remember what it was called!) has we sat outside and ate some ice-cream and having a little chat in the sun, someone came next to us and said "Do you come from Shetland? 'Cause I think I know you lot" we didn't have a single clue who the person was and looked at each other in confusion.

Freaky :shock: