Completely and utterly pointless signs etc....

Seaflech

It can't help but make you smile.

You wander up Sumburgh Head breathing in the lovely clean air that our Isles are famous for, taking in the views and generally thinking that things are pretty good, then, standing next to a 200ft cliff you come across one of several signs saying

DANGER OF DROP.

Now surely if your heid cannot conceive the notion that a 200 foot drop is going to be detrimental to your health, it does raise some serious questions. How did you manage to get your shoes on to embark on this expedition? Where was your carer at the time of your clifftop investigation?

If you have good enough command of the English language to read those three words, then can we not assume that you have the midder wit to not to put their obvious truthful content to the test?!

It is of course yet another example of this nanny state we live in, where no-one is allowed to have common sense, and have to be told what to do and how to do it at all times, not for our own welfare naturally, but so that we (or nearest and dearest if we do succumb to our stupidity) don't sue the ass off somebody because there wasn't a sign up telling us that the contents of a cup of coffee may be hot, or that pets should NOT be dried in the microwave, or walking off a cliff may result in light bruising.

Does anybody else have any examples from this crazy state of nannyism we have drifted into? I fear there may be many.

(Warning: Typing may give you Repetitive Strain Injury) :lol:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have good enough command of the English language to read those three words, then can we not assume that you have the midder wit to not to put their obvious truthful content to the test?!

Think of the poor foreigners! They will be too busy poking their noses into their phrasebooks that they will trip over the 4ft wall to their demise. Unless, of course, signs are erected to cover all languages, which would form a good enough barrier that you would not be able to see over them, far less fall over them. But then you would need signs saying 'Don't climb on the signs that say Danger of Drop as there is a Danger of Drop on other side of said signs. etc etc etc etc etc...

It is utterly crazy and Sumburgh Head is far from one of the worst offenders.

Is the 'Do not park in the toilets' sign still at Bressay?

Is the 'Do not park in the toilets' sign still at Bressay?

I was just thinking about that when I started reading the first post...

I'm sure someone told me that if you have CCTV in your shop, and someone breaks in over night, you can't use the CCTV footage as evidence unless you have a sign up saying you are recording, which I find bizarre.

Can't remember what Lerwick shop it was, but one of them knew fine well who broke in, but couldn't prosecute them.

I'm sure someone told me that if you have CCTV in your shop, and someone breaks in over night, you can't use the CCTV footage as evidence unless you have a sign up saying you are recording, which I find bizarre.

Can't remember what Lerwick shop it was, but one of them knew fine well who broke in, but couldn't prosecute them.

I think that happened at Grantfield when they had the twenty four hours pumps. Someone was repeatedly using a stolen card but since the machine only took the details of the card at the time and didn't try to get authorisation to take the money, the user was able to keep using it even after the card was cancelled. CCTV footage was used to identify the culprit but couldn't be used for police purposes because the criminal didn't have the luxury of being shown a sign to say he/she was being filmed.

Human Rights eh? More like a get out of jail free card...

Back on topic though, there is the good old favourite of: Warning contains traces of nuts. Written on a packet of Peanuts. Duh! :roll:

"This page is intentionally left blank" would be more appropriate. This might be one too many large words though. Any ideas on what it could be replaced with? Picture of a cheque book and pen perhaps? 'Yer gonna fail', repeated over and over? 'Hah, fooled ya! 18 pages to go'?