Most Talented Shetland Journalist

• 3 weeks later...

I liked that chap who died a few years back and was a regular Shetland times contributer. He was a troubled guy and ended up a full-time alchy , which eventually killed him. However, his witty prose was up there with the best of them.... Too bad I can't mind his name!! :oops:

I liked that chap who died a few years back and was a regular Shetland times contributer. He was a troubled guy and ended up a full-time alchy , which eventually killed him. However, his witty prose was up there with the best of them.... Too bad I can't mind his name!! :oops:

Gibby Irvine. I kent him at school. It was distressing to see his decline.

Gibby Irvine. I kent him at school. It was distressing to see his decline.

That's him. Yeah, I mind when I was younger seeing him around the town and, I'm ashamed to say, just thinking of him as another drunk who'd fallen on hard times. It was only when I read his obituary in the times that I realised who he was - a really sharp fellow by all accounts, until the drink took over completely.

• 2 months later...

One not many people will know about is the African Correspondent for the Economist, Johnathan Ledgard, He can't really be described as being local to Shetland but he was born in the Gilbert Bain!

Look for Ending the Darfur Crisis and Preventing the Next One

http://www.earthinstitute.columbia.edu/library/videos.html

He is the first guy on the video.

• 6 months later...

Oh come now, surely you are all forgetting that bastion of journalism, Jeremy Godwin whose letters and musings (?) have graced the pages of the Shetland Times for many a year now.

I think his most amusing letter was the one that complained about a previous letter not being published and the editors succinct reply that staff had been unable to read Mr. Godwin's handwriting.

In fact, there's not been a letter from Jeremy for a while -he is alright isn't he?