Pooks

Left or Right Handed?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Left or Right Handed?

• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • Ambidextrous
    • Other

Just been reading a thread on another forum about left-handedness among pilots and sportsmen/women.

How many Shetlinkers are left-handed? Do you suffer from living in a right-handed world?

They do say that only left-handers are in their right minds. :wink:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffer from living with a left hander and having to put up wih his left handed mates acting all superior. Apparently being left handed makes you highly skilled in the field of... whatever field you happen to be in. Good eh? So they're all these natural geniuses at whatever it is they do but because the world is against them they can't actually demonstrate their genius and thus it remains smothered and tortured.

poor left handers :cry:

I'm left handed, and don't think it adds to any talents I might (or might not) have in the slightest. It does give me a bit of an advantage at badminton / squash / tennis if I'm playing someone right handed though, if only because I have a better backhand than forehand (nothing to do with leftiness, just one of those quirks of fate) and generally they're not expecting that.

Tin openers and scissors are still the bane of my life though. Bah!

I know someone who's had to start using his left hand because he's worn out the right one.

Ooooerrr!

The simplest things in life are designed right-handed and even many left-handers do not realise that they are automatically adapting to it because they have lived with it all their lives. Take a pack of playing cards. You have to fan the cards right-handed otherwise you can't see the numbers in the corners. It has been proven that most right-handers find it more difficult to adapt to left-handed than it does for left-handers to adapt to right-handedness. A few other everyday things that make life difficult for lefties are:-

Telephone boxes - receiver and coin slot on right (and many other coin operated machines)

Record Player Arms

Writing

Scissors

Trousers with one back pocket

Trouser Zips

Polo (left-handed players not allowed!)

Hockey (left hand players not allowed)

Tying shoe laces/ties

Writing in binders/files

Cheque book stubs

Pens on chains in Banks

Cash dispensing machines

Ticker barriers on underground

Computer number. keypads (on right)

Dining in restaurants (bump elbows with R/H diners)

Rulers (numbered the wrong way)

Below is a little test to see how left or right-handed you are. It is unusual for someone to be completely left or right:-

1. Imagine the centre of your back is itching. Which hand do you scratch it with?

2. Interlock your fingers. Which thumb is uppermost?

3. Imagine you are applauding. Start clapping your hands. Which hand is uppermost?

4. Wink at and imaginary friend straight in front of you. Which eye does the winking?

5. Put your hands behind your back, one holding the other. Which hand is doing the holding?

6. Someone in front of you is shouting but you cannot hear the words. Cup your ear to hear better. Which ear do you cup?

7. Count to three on your fingers, using the forefinger of the other hand. Which forefinger do you use?

8. Tilt your head to one shoulder. Which shoulder does it touch?

9. Fixate a small distant object with your eyes and point directly at it with your forefinger. Now close one eye. Now change eyes. Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object? (when the other eye, the non-dominant one, is open and the dominant eye is closed, the finger will appear to move to one side of the object.)

10. Fold your arms. Which forearm is uppermost?

I know someone who's had to start using his left hand because he's worn out the right one.

9. Fixate a small distant object with your eyes and point directly at it with your forefinger. Now close one eye. Now change eyes. Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object? (when the other eye, the non-dominant one, is open and the dominant eye is closed, the finger will appear to move to one side of the object.)

What if the finger moves about the same distance to either side of the object? (I am right handed, but for the past few years have used my left hand more due to a repetitive strain injury in my right elbow)

oohhh, good q's from pooks. I'm half n half, when it came to answering the q's.

Only problem was re Q no 9: quote fae pooks: Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object?

I'm very short sighted,so it appeared to me that the object moved from left to right depending on what I eye I had open. So neither remained any where near in line to my forefinger.

Let's hope da neighbours wirna lookin in da window at me squintin oot to try out question 9 - would have looked a bit weird!

Below is a little test to see how left or right-handed you are. It is unusual for someone to be completely left or right:-

1. Imagine the centre of your back is itching. Which hand do you scratch it with? Either.

2. Interlock your fingers. Which thumb is uppermost? Left.

3. Imagine you are applauding. Start clapping your hands. Which hand is uppermost? Right.

4. Wink at and imaginary friend straight in front of you. Which eye does the winking? Right.

5. Put your hands behind your back, one holding the other. Which hand is doing the holding? Left.

6. Someone in front of you is shouting but you cannot hear the words. Cup your ear to hear better. Which ear do you cup? Right.

7. Count to three on your fingers, using the forefinger of the other hand. Which forefinger do you use? Right.

8. Tilt your head to one shoulder. Which shoulder does it touch? Right.

9. Fixate a small distant object with your eyes and point directly at it with your forefinger. Now close one eye. Now change eyes. Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object? (when the other eye, the non-dominant one, is open and the dominant eye is closed, the finger will appear to move to one side of the object.) Right.

10. Fold your arms. Which forearm is uppermost? Right.

Hmmmm......not quite the total "righty" i thought I was. :?

I'm right handed but can write left handed if I need to (learnt that after injuring right hand). Brother is left handed and finds difficulty sometimes with tin openers.

1. Imagine the centre of your back is itching. Which hand do you scratch it with? Both

2. Interlock your fingers. Which thumb is uppermost? Left

3. Imagine you are applauding. Start clapping your hands. Which hand is uppermost? Left

4. Wink at and imaginary friend straight in front of you. Which eye does the winking? Left

5. Put your hands behind your back, one holding the other. Which hand is doing the holding? Left

6. Someone in front of you is shouting but you cannot hear the words. Cup your ear to hear better. Which ear do you cup? Left

7. Count to three on your fingers, using the forefinger of the other hand. Which forefinger do you use? Left

8. Tilt your head to one shoulder. Which shoulder does it touch? Left

9. Fixate a small distant object with your eyes and point directly at it with your forefinger. Now close one eye. Now change eyes. Which eye was open when the fingertip remained in line with the small object? (when the other eye, the non-dominant one, is open and the dominant eye is closed, the finger will appear to move to one side of the object.) Can't do this one as partially blind in left eye

10. Fold your arms. Which forearm is uppermost?

Left

Does this mean I should be left handed? :? :lol: