Zetland

earlofzetland

An interesting little snippet that caught my eye last week, was a story in the "Nooks and Corners" Piloti column in Private Eye Issue 1178, 16 Feb-1 Mar 2007, page 14 .

The story deals with Lord Zetland and the Redcar racecourse of all things, but states that Zetland takes his title from the ancient Nordic name for "that part of the North-East Yorkshire coast east of Middlesborough".

I was wondering what light the participants of this forum might shed on this information? Of course maybe the answer will published in the letters page of the next issue! :D

This link includes the information

http://www.britainexpress.com/scotland/Orkney/Orkney-history.htm

In 1707 Orkney and Shetland were granted to the Earl of Morton and in 1766 they passed to Sir Lawrence Dundas, ancestor of the Earls of Zetland (Shetland).

Wikipedia has various articles on the Marquess of Zetland and the Dundas family

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Zetland

A Google search shows that the name Zetland is used for a few things in the Redcar area, including the Zetland Hunt and the Zetland Primary School, all no doubt named in honour of their laird.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the thing about Shetland's Wikipedia entries is that they're mostly written by the same sort of people who muck about on Shetlink. I've written some of them...

And my girlfriend is passing friends with the current Lord Dundas.

Well the thing about Shetland's Wikipedia entries is that they're mostly written by the same sort of people who muck about on Shetlink. I've written some of them...

And my girlfriend is passing friends with the current Lord Dundas.

Is that the David Dundas of "Blue Jeans" fame? (Sorry to include another Wikipedia entry but this is for the information of the younger readers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_David_Dundas

• 2 years later...

My wife drew my attention tonight to an item on the One Show that featured the Zetland Boxing Club in Grangemouth. Googling this club showed it is based in Zetland Park, presented to Grangemouth by the Marquess of Zetland. The Dundas family were heavily involved in founding the town of Grangemouth, as this article shows.

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/millennium-makers/sir-laurence-dundas.html

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive just been for a wee drive through our wee villiage of Mossbank and i cant see these boarded up windows you make light of, perhaps you are drawing attention to the house that had a fire in it around three years ago?Having lived in Mossbank for over 30 years i can honestly and truthfully say that boarded up windows here in Mossbank are a thing of rarity,or are you just having a pop at somewhere you obviously know little about?

• 9 months later...

I realise this is following a dated post but I found the forum by accident and was interested when I saw the reference to Zetland.

I am from Redcar on the North East coast of England and we have very strong ties to the Zetland family.

One name I have seen connected to the Shetlands is Ronaldshay...Is it an island ?

^^ Assume thats meant to be Ronaldsay, Ronaldshay was the old spelling I think. The northernmost island of Orkney, and therefore the nearest part of Orkney to Shetland is North Ronaldsay, and which shouldn't be confused with South Ronaldsay, which is the southernmost island of Orkney. Neither of which, again, should be confused with Ronaldsway, which is on the Isle of Man.

I realise this is following a dated post but I found the forum by accident and was interested when I saw the reference to Zetland.

I am from Redcar on the North East coast of England and we have very strong ties to the Zetland family.

One name I have seen connected to the Shetlands is Ronaldshay...Is it an island ?

There are 2 islands in Orkney called Ronaldsay (South Ronaldsay and North Ronaldsay, sometimes misspelled as Ronaldshay), but no such island in Shetland as far as I know.

The islands were sold to Laurence Dundas in 1766.

It is worth mentioning that the motivation behind Dundas buying the Earldom was to gain the parliamentary seat, as well as to help his family move up the landed gentry pecking order. A strategy which clearly worked. As I understand things, they never had much interest in the estates and accordingly were less oppressive than what had gone before.