Chris Hodge

Egbert-Mcwhirter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
To hell with what the planning dept want , the people of shetland want Chris Hodge here , and its the people who matter not some clown in an office that thinks the equator runs through the gremista junction. :x

yes leave him to it. Then the local plan can be binned and Asda will set-up on the big plot of land behind Stronachs and he, and many other business, can close the door.

I just want to see the whole thing decided on grounds of planning. Either the site is suitable for retail use and he should get permission for change of use and also for his cafe.........if cafes in the Co-op and Safeways were allowed I can see no reason for Chris to get refused permission for the cafe if he is allowed to continue selling.....or the site is not suitable for retail use and he should be refused planning permission.

At one time I was very much against Chris and other traders who arrived, set up shop in some building that was council owned (St. Clements Hall) or had public money spent on it........most of the other halls, and basically took the money and ran. Incidentally I do include all the people selling furniture etc. in the Clickimin Hall in this. These sellers do hurt local shops and I still consider it as an abomination that they were allowed to trade here in buildings that were not established retail outlets.

Then things changed. Chris Hodge decided to commit to Shetland by opening his warehouse in Lerwick. I am not going to comment on various bits of gossip I have heard as to why. It is sufficient that he has shown the commitment to Shetland and I do hope he succeeds in gaining planning permission.

I'd rather Shetland didn't have another supermarket; especially one owned by WalMart.

No chance of Asda/Walmart setting up shop in Shetland. Just not enough people here to meet their sales targets. Lidl perhaps although with the population being so small perhaps we ought to be thankful for the Co-op and Safeway for building our mini supermarkets.

Good luck to any entrepreneur that opens up retail premises up here... provided they sell useful things that people need, at affordable prices...

Something local shops are unable to do apparently...

the hassle I am having trying to buy a mop and bucket, toilet roll holder & swing-top bin {black bag size}

You can buy onny amount o' hellery; furry, fluffy, pink, sparkly or tinselly ornamentation- but you try & buy something ordinary & useful!

Eventually found 1 shop which had 2 mops in stock... still no joy getting a bogroll holder or swingtop bin!

... and the shop owners moan about folk buying online / from catalogues / going sooth to shop... well, you have to, if you want any sense. I do prefer to buy locally & support local employment & business- IF possible- I have Tried!!

I'd rather Shetland didn't have another supermarket; especially one owned by WalMart.

No chance of Asda/Walmart setting up shop in Shetland. Just not enough people here to meet their sales targets. Lidl perhaps although with the population being so small perhaps we ought to be thankful for the Co-op and Safeway for building our mini supermarkets.

Kirkwall already has a Co-op, a Somerfields, and a Lidl, and Tesco have just confirmed that they have been looking for a suitable site, following the opening of their new Wick store, according to 'Orkney Today'. I'm not too sure about a Tesco, but I would like to see a Lidl in Lerwick.

Try looking for the toilet holder with matching toothbrush & mug holder, soap dish & toilet brush..... I to agree, Shetland seems to be lacking in some of the most basic items (thank goodness for nisbets catering online or we'd be lacking in the required colour coded mops), plenty of friffery though.

Visited Chris Hodges while i was in lerwick last weekend & picked up a good few ceramic cassarole dishes for the oven & had a lovely sunday lunch in the cafe, found it much like the *Spotty bag shop* back down south where we used to be, 1% quality stock & 99% not gonna last long stock, but if he's providing employment in shetland & filling a need for low cost low quality items in todays cash strapped income brackets, then good luck to him.