Windows Vista

Ally

Got it installed on a test PC at work. Very pretty lookin', with some neat features, but the minimum spec is pretty scary. It groans if you've got less than a gig memory, a decent graphics card and a processor that's under 2ghz... think my laptop/PC will be sticking with Xp for a while...

It certainly does look "pretty"! I wonder if it'll be as it's cracked up to be. My comp is apparently "Vista Capable" which could mean anything?! I did d/l the MS tester app thing and it did say it would run quite the thing :? so we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm currently running a trial of Office 2007 which has a wholey different feel and way with it. To be honest it was a bit "whoa" when I first saw it. The menu system is entirely different and takes a little to get used to. However, if it is a sign of what is to come in Vista .. I think I'll like it!

I was recently forced to upgrade to XP when my 2000 disk decided to stop working at the same time as my hard disk. So I can't see myself getting up-to-date anytime soon. If my abacus ran games I would probably still be back in the stone age.

scoot loads of extra fans to cool all that, so , going by the min specs required, i should have more than enough for the pc to fly on vista.

8O

With all those fans there should be more than enough there for your PC to fly to sumburgh!

:oops: (Sorry i couldna resist it)

My new pc is almost ready to have vista installed, just waiting on a floppy drive that works arriving.

Intel duel core 6600 processor

asus p5w delux mobo

4gig ram

gforce 8800 graphics card

scoot loads of extra fans to cool all that, so , going by the min specs required, i should have more than enough for the pc to fly on vista.

I fear that the lights will dim on Fair Isle should you switch it on 8O :wink:

I fear that the lights will dim on Fair Isle should you switch it on 8O :wink:

:lol: Just in Fair Isle? *runs off to check UPS is still workin*

Folks have Vista running on UMPCs (typically 900MHz Celerons wi 1 gig-o-ram) and report everything's fine and dandy so I wouldn't worry too much. You won't be leaving 10 apps running at the same time though.

Besides the (ahem) security enhancements there's only a few new features that caught my eye:

• Media Center - I've got this on my HTPC and it is killer. Very slick and, dare I say, it just works. The new Sideshow enabled remotes (they let you browse your library / EPG on the remote itself without disrupting what's on-screen) look real sweet too.

Pen flicks / gestures - if you use a tablet then these make your life a lot easier.

Event viewer - this has been seriously beefed up and is now actually useful for tracking things down or doing stuff when certain conditions occur.

Start menu - click start, type a few characters and it very quickly presents you wi a list of matching items buried anywhere underneath it. I'm fairly @nal about keeping my start menu all nicely organised (I don't get out much) but no more!

Control Panel - same as the start menu i.e. just type a word or two and it shows you links to matching applets... and properties you can set within them. The CP is world to explore all on its own so the integrated search makes for a much easier time of things.

As for the Aero interface... I don't know what all the fuss is about. It makes no odds whether it's on or off IMO. Definitely not a reason to beef up your graphics card.

The show stopper for me is the price. I'll keep my desktop on XP and switch to Vista when it comes on a new machine me thinks.

• 3 weeks later...
Vista hasnt brought anything new to the OS industry, they have copied OSx and Many LINUX Distros.

Yes, that's right :roll: Get back under your bridge please.

In my opinion Vista doesn't deserve the amount of publicity its getting.

Besides seeing Bill Gates on The Daily Show and one TV advert I haven't seen any other publicity. That's apart from coverage on tech sites making a living covering things like new operating systems. Perhaps cancelling your subscription to Vista Fanboy Monthly may help :wink:

I honestly think that Microsoft are in cahoots with the computer manufacturers - every time they release a new package the requirements are so heavy that you need to spend a fortune to upgrade or buy a new computer. And it doesn't take long for the old programmes to be obsolete - who still uses Windows 97?

Maybe Bill is in need of an extra Million or two - must be retiring shortly.