Windows Vista

Ally

I honestly think that Microsoft are in cahoots with the computer manufacturers

There was something like this not long ago, though it was the processor manufacturer Intel.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I can't find reference right now regarding this .. but ...

Intel had apparently created, I think it was the Pentium 4 processor, with "secret" registers that only microsoft knew about. Microsoft was using these registers to optimise it's code and speed up its software to "superior" levels against the comparative likes of it's software running on Intels then major competitor, AMD's, chipsets.

Of course as is the way with anything to do with computers - nothing is secret - someone got wind of this and it was a major egg on the face situation for both sides. Which is all the more perplexing as I can't find reference of it right now!?!

I'm actually getting more tempted to get a Mac mini for an internet box when this old heap comes done..... 8O

You wont regret it. Get at least a gig of RAM though.

Actually you might regret it. Sometimes web pages don't render properly in Safari (or Camino), but that may say more about the website than the browser.

Yeah, I was thinking on the superdrive one with a gig of memory.

Have to stick with the PC workstation for now, but the mini seems to be the nice option for some simple little box to run quietly away all day.

Shame the price is not more like the US.

Was thinking on staying with Firefox / Thunderbird / OpenOffice.

What's Camino like?

Also, any rumours they are going to put Core 2 duo CPUs in the mini anytime soon..... be just my luck to splash out before a price drop.

Yeah, I was thinking on the superdrive one with a gig of memory.

Have to stick with the PC workstation for now, but the mini seems to be the nice option for some simple little box to run quietly away all day.

Shame the price is not more like the US.

Was thinking on staying with Firefox / Thunderbird / OpenOffice.

What's Camino like?

Also, any rumours they are going to put Core 2 duo CPUs in the mini anytime soon..... be just my luck to splash out before a price drop.

Good choice :wink:

Look at NeoOffice too. MS Orifice is about £100 as a educational purchase and can be used on up to 3 machines. Camino is good. Free and worth a try. I got it because it allowed tabbed browsing before Safari did. I have never gone back.

I asked Apple when the Core 2 Duos were coming out on the Mac Mini and they said that they were just waiting for Carlos to spend your money on the older version :lol: