Windows svchost.exe errors

trout

Well spank me with an ollick!

Windows XP in all it's wonderment has decided to screw "itself" up after doing an update. Thats what you get for letting it do things all by itself! Automatic update, my cheeks! :x

Everytime I booted up I got memory referencing errors from svchost.exe, which is the Generic Host Process and part of XP's slimey backbone!

svchost.exe - Application Error. The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.

For anyone else in the same boat, the way I found to get rid of this from Microsoft is to frig around with the Automatic Updates in the services panel manually, which is a lengthy and daunting task if you've never fiddled in there before!

So anyone experiencing the same issue just do this instead :D:

START > Right Click "My Computer" > Click Properties > Turn off Automatic Updates

THen you have to reboot and:

START > All Programs > Windows Update (while connected to Internet)

Manually update windows and then turn Automatic Updates back on or not and just manually update in the future!

:roll:

To stop Windows restarting when it feks up:

Press "Windows Key" and Pause/Break together to get up "System Properties"

Then goto "Advanced" > "Startup & Recovery" Section and press "Settings" > Uncheck "Automatically Restart"

This allows you to at least see the error message.

It's worth noting that svchost.exe gets used for many different services and no just automatic update.

Why it was only the other day I managed to mangle (with some hard determined effort I may add) my visual c runtimes. This brought about many a jolly time as the RPC service (another svchost service) would randomly bomb forcing the system to reboot. Oh how I laughed :roll: Dog bless system restore :D

Well spank me with an ollick!

Consider yourself spanked, with or without an ollick.

Everytime I booted up I got memory referencing errors from svchost.exe, which is the Generic Host Process and part of XP's slimey backbone!

svchost.exe - Application Error. The instruction at "0x745f2780" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.

For anyone else in the same boat, the way I found to get rid of this from Microsoft is to frig around with the Automatic Updates in the services panel manually, which is a lengthy and daunting task if you've never fiddled in there before!

So anyone experiencing the same issue just do this instead :D:

START > Right Click "My Computer" > Click Properties > Turn off Automatic Updates

THen you have to reboot and:

START > All Programs > Windows Update (while connected to Internet)

Manually update windows and then turn Automatic Updates back on or not and just manually update in the future!

:roll:

Thank you for that, it has been driving me potty for about a fortnight.

I reccomend settin Updates tae "notify me but dont download or install updates"

When I try that (it's the position I'd like to use), the thing sits there using 100% processor power for 50% of the time - on, off, on, off ... and it is really taking over, other apps run treacly slow when update is on 100% CPU. At one point I left it for 2 days, but it just kept on doing this and apparently nothing else for all that processing time. What was it doing?

Anyone suggest a suitable kick up its digital backside to correct it? The only setting that leaves my damn PC alone is "off", and I don't want an insecure, unpatched windows :( (I want an insecure patched windows!) :)

The whole idea of software which automatically updates itself makes me shudder a bit really. I'd rather have (at least the illusion of) choice.

It's one thing when your OS does it, but another thing entirely when crap like Acrobarf Reader decides it has some kind of divine right to pull this stunt too.

When I try that (it's the position I'd like to use), the thing sits there using 100% processor power for 50% of the time - on, off, on, off ... and it is really taking over, other apps run treacly slow when update is on 100% CPU. At one point I left it for 2 days, but it just kept on doing this and apparently nothing else for all that processing time. What was it doing?

Anyone suggest a suitable kick up its digital backside to correct it? The only setting that leaves my damn PC alone is "off", and I don't want an insecure, unpatched windows :( (I want an insecure patched windows!) :)

Sounds like it has gone wonky somewhere. Reregistering the dll's Windows Update uses will normally solve this but I recommend you do the following:-

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the

open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account"

is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is

unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If

not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic".

Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the

service.

6. Repeat the above steps with the other service: Background Intelligent

Transfer Service (BITS)

Step 4: Re-register Windows Update components and Clear the corrupted

Windows Update temp folder

1. Click on Start and then click Run,

2. In the open field type "REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL" (without quotation marks) and

press Enter.

3. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in WUAPI.DLL succeeded" message,

click OK.

4. Please repeat these steps for each of the following commands:

REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL

REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL

REGSVR32 ATL.DLL

REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL

REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL

REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL

After the above steps are finished. Since temporary folder of Windows Update

may be corrupted. We can refer to the following steps to rename this folder

that

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following

command in the opened window.

net stop WuAuServ

(note, you might need to reboot before the net stop command will work)

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to SDold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following

command in the opened window.

net start WuAuServ

Cheers,

Pooks.