American Notebook - What's that all about

jim-jam

What do you think of the American Notebook column in the Shetland Times?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the American Notebook column in the Shetland Times?

• I like it
    • Not bothered
    • I don't like it

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Notebook - this weeks synopsis

Kim had a night out and some people she knew had a jam session, did her job at a school and went to a McDonalds.

On the facing page, Rosa Steppanova's full page article relates news of her dirty weekend in Bath.

:roll:

And no letter from either Selbie or Godwin. A very poor issue indeed :cry:

I like Kim Karam's American notebook and since the Shetland times often appears to be struggling to fill it's pages with actual Shetland news, I don't see that it's a problem that she's not writing about Shetland. It's good to see something a bit different. However, I do agree that every week is possibly too often and it would be good if say 2 or 3 people wrote the column alternately.

Guest Anonymous
And a 3 page article on R & C's!!!!!!!!!! (have to say i've not read it yet, so i'm not criticising it)

Well I did read it and have only now emerged from my coma. To be fair it would be of interest to some people, I'm sure.

I also enjoyed the first few paragraphs in which the author paints himself as a grumpy old b*****d by not giving money to charity bag-packers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
And Jeremy Godwin from Penrith. Friday's just not the same without a letter from him (who is he, anyway?????)

IIRC (and don't quote me on this) he is one of the original Zetnet customers and has attended a number of 'Zetmeets' (for those of you in the know). Whether he has other Shetland connections or not I can not say.

As for the column in the Shetland Times, I have to say that I am in agreement with most of the people here. A more "local" column would be of more advantage to the majority of readers. Quite a few people who read the Shetland Times are subscribers who want to keep in touch with Shetland, not America. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the articles she has written, I just believe that the Shetland Times is not the most appropriate outlet for it to published in.

I was speaking to a "shetlander abroad' last week who has been doing amazing things in antartica involving whales and icebergs etc., who would have been delighted to get the chance to 'publish home', but his emails were never replied. I don't think there is anything wrong with KK's writing, but i seem to have had it confirmed that there is a wealth of interesting shetlanders abroad to draw from.