Any Kitesurfers about?

Ross

So it would seem I'm moving up to Shetland in March. I'm wondering if there will be any active flyers about, willing for a jam?

I've only got the one kite in the quiver at the moment : Blade Mk 1 3.3 (my mad wind baby) I'm saving up for a Naish 12m or maybe a biggish Mk 1 Sabre. But I'll probably get the Naish to get out on the water.

Also where about is good to go? I've got a limited amount of knowledge about the islands as a whole but know the Burra/Scalloway area resonably well. I can't wait to go for a fly out at Banannaramamin Beach. Looks really shallow, and well sheltered.

Ross

(***Mod Edit - Moved to the Sport section***)

Your best bet for actual flying is http://www.flexifoil.com

It's good for getting the baisics.

And then the governing body for competitions http://www.kitesurfing.org/ But I disagree with that whole element.

The whole thing is easy to get into from the baby kites to the 16 metre montsers (a workout and a half 8O )

Baby Kite: http://www.kites-kites-kites.co.uk/images/flexifoilbuzz.jpg The girlfriend has one of these and its amazing fun.

Monster: http://www.hstwindsurfing.com/images/kitesurfing.jpg I'm saving up for one of these :twisted:

Onshore winds are better than offshore as you won't get pulled out to sea if you get in trouble. But then if you get 'lofted' with an onshore wind things can get nasty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE_LhbHNg2U

I think the term is "gnarly"!

There is a guy who lives at lochside who does the kite surfing.. but usually mostly land based jumps and things..

he has been down to spiggie a sand bar down at bigton a few times, not sure if he has anyother spots been a while since i spoke to him.

you wil quite often see him at the rugby pitch at lochside ( Lerwick ) praticing.

There is no emoticon good enough for that.

That is now, and probably will remain my all time favourite youtube clip. Cheers Ross, my cheeks and stomach are sore now. Fantastic.

Kiteboarding does look tremendous. I've dabbled with a two line foil, but it's pretty raw. It's a good workout though!

There's a most worthy guy who moved back here last year to have a bairn, who spent a few years as a kite-boarding instructor in Spain. Hmm, there may be prospects there......

• 2 weeks later...
Also where about is good to go? I've got a limited amount of knowledge about the islands as a whole but know the Burra/Scalloway area resonably well. I can't wait to go for a fly out at Banannaramamin Beach. Looks really shallow, and well sheltered.

Ross

I would think that Quendale or St Ninian's would be your best bet. Tresta also has a bit of north facing beach for when the wind is in the right direction. Quendale is open to the sea and can get some reasonable waves, if the wind is southerly and if you're into that kinda thing.

The beach at the head of Busta voe might be good enough at low tide. During really low tides there is a sand bank that gets exposed, so it must be reasonably shallow.

One other beach that might be of interest is the one along coast from the end of the disused runway at Scatsta. I have seen the odd windsurfer there but it's very very quiet and out of the way. It's shingly rather than sandy but there is loads of room to blat about the place, just stay well clear of the oil terminal or you'll probably p*ss someone off!

I've never, as yet, tried kite surfing, but it's on my 'to do' list. I got a four line power kite for xmas to play with, hope fully i'll learn a little kite control before my holidays this year (gonna learn somewhere warm!). I've done a lot of windsurfing up here and the local club is growing again after a couple of stale years. It would be good to see some kite surfers alongside the windsurfers!

• 3 weeks later...

Ahoy there!! Just noticed this thread and thought I better reply.

I've been into this kiting malarky for far too long. Since the time when flexi was a single forum in list format..

Anyways.

Theres a fair few good locations and I'm hoping to get everywhere this year as I will have my own wheels.

Even the Sands of Sound is good for a quick shimmy.

I have gone through a fair bit o kit over the years and currently have.

JN Wildthing 10m 14m LEI's

Lost cause 127x38 custom tt

Ozone frenzy 12m

Flexifoil blade 3 4m

Advance quattro 1.6m

PL Comp buggy

Trampa 13ply atb.

Anymore questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Mabs

P.S Go to http://www.kite-pics-scotland.com/coppermine/cpg148/thumbnails.php?album=topn&cat=-19 for some low wind action at sands o sound. Road trip m8s fae south. Need I say more?

Mabster , first names not michael is it? I think I met you in edinburgh 2005 doing parkour? Anyhoo whats the ozone like? I've only really flown flexi's, I had a PL venom for a week (possible the most windless week in history) but didn't get to fly it before i had to give it back :x

Ae up. Aye that's me.

Ahh the parkour days in ed.. I do miss em.

How's it going?

The ozone although an old model (2003) it still a beautiful kite. It's stable, flies well and it can launch one into orbit! A review can be found here.. http://www.racekites.com/reviews/getReview.asp?reviewID=54

So when are you heading up? You know once you're here theres no escape!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
There is a guy who lives at lochside who does the kite surfing..

you wil quite often see him at the rugby pitch at lochside ( Lerwick ) praticing.

Yep, that will be me then.

I'm glad to hear of others takin up flyin, its great fun and even better exercise, just need to get as many together as possible and maybe organise Shetlands first kite festival.

Now wouldn't that be a pretty sight.

Hi Ross, nice to have met you, will have to get flying some time.

Hey Mabs, are you still flying these days. I heard you where into ornithology, just not the feathered type lol

John

I have bought the gear and seen the DVD but have only had a few practice flights on land.I was hoping to take to the water soon so if you want to meet up for a blast give me a shout.I could probably do with some practical advice.I have 9-12 and 17 meter kites with a couple of boards so ready to go.

Hi what make/model are your kites? What sizes are your boards? Are they Twin tip or Directional?

The wind looks good this week probably getting a bit strong on thursday.

But a blast this week could be good. St Ninians would probably be the best bet if there was a few of us.