Jury Service

Frances144

Just a wild guess Frances, but i'm guessing you got a letter through the post in the past couple of days. A close relative of mine got one too, yesterday.

As i pointed out to him, I had the same letter a couple of years ago and never heards any more about it, which seemed a shame at the time as i was all fired up for it.

Funny that. Been asked previously if I would do Jury service. I only found the letter well after everything had passed and so had never replied.

Never heard more back either. Though it did state I was liable to be fined if I did not reply etc. if I remember correcly ?!?! Is this not the case then?

Here, you could just turn up and shout "I hope they hang the b*stard". They'll never ask you again!

hiya frances

my hubby got called up for jury service last year then after a while he got a date to attend the court. he organised time off his work then the day before he got a recorded delivery letter informing him the case was no longer going ahead. he was glad as he was a bit scared about it. but his name will be on record for a while in case he is needed. but so far nothing happening so he's happy.

I got a letter informing me I was on the list for jury service in Shetland whilst I was at Uni in Dundee.

I wrote them a letter telling them that me leaving Dundee to go back to Shetland wouldn't really be practical, but I would require flights should they decide to call me up. Never heard from them again.

Does anyone know...can you refuse to do jury service? Say, for example, I had been called up whilst at Uni and point blank refused to travel up to Shetland for it. Would I have been slapped in the clink as soon as I set foot on Shetland again?

Yes, I did get a letter - completely surprised, I was!!

Anywho I shall of course say:

Bring back public flogging!

I am rather excited - I do hope they ask me but only the dates I can make it. I don't see how it can possibly work in Shetland as we all know of everybody anyway!

Ah well as my partner said "Twelve good men and true, well eleven and a mad old bag!" I retorted with "less of the old please!".

Fx

More people get the call for a particular trial than are required. I seem to remember that the actual selection is done just before the trial starts from those who turn up. I was called once, sat there for a while, then was told I could go as they had selected a jury.

I got the call up letter about 5 yrs ago (must admit that before I opened it there was a lot of cursing going on thinking that something must have happened in order for the court to be writing to me...).

Twice I got word that I would have to be at court on a certain date, but both times I was going to be away - either with a child in Aberdeen or on a course. I went up to the Court Office and was given permission to not attend. There wasn't any problem with it - I explained the situation and they said it was ok.

I must admit that I was wondering what I would have to do and was a bit disappointed not to be attending!

A friend of mine was on the last jury in Lerwick court, about 6 weeks ago. The person organising the jury, who normally works in Aberdeen court, told the 40 prospective jurors who turned up for the selection process, that he was totally amazed at the almost 100% response to the call up letters. He said that in Aberdeen they would send out 50+ letters and he would count mimself lucky if just over 50% turned up.

I suppose they would get pissed off & start implementing the fines etc if a situation arose where not enough people turned up to form a jury & the trial had to be cancelled.