Slow drivers

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I think everyone should stick to within the speed limit. But I hate drivers who go 30mph on a 60mph road when conditions are fine! :x

They can cause accidents with people getting frustrated and over takeing when it may not be safe to do so. Also a nightmare if you cant overtake such as on a single track road and they just putter along gawking at everything while a back log of cars builds up.

Think they should be done as much as speeders.

Guest Anonymous
I think everyone should stick to within the speed limit. But I hate drivers who go 30mph on a 60mph road when conditions are fine! :x

They can cause accidents with people getting frustrated and over takeing when it may not be safe to do so. Also a nightmare if you cant overtake such as on a single track road and they just putter along gawking at everything while a back log of cars builds up.

oh i totaly agree they drive me mad

usualy they are female or a man with a hat!

That is absolute nonsense. It's not good if they are driving below the speed limit for people behind, but if they don't feel comfortable driving faster then they should hardly be compelled to. It's not them causing the danger if people decided to overtake dangerously, and they are hardly responsible for deaths/accidents on the road on a comparable level to speeders.

Well no!....."they" do not cause accidents. Accidents happen when someone allows themselves to become irritated by the slower driver and try to pass when it is not safe to do so. And yes they annoy me at times.

On single track roads drivers should pull into a passing place to allow faster drivers to pass and it might be worthwhile taking a note of their registration number and passing it onto the police.

Thinking about the whole issue of speeding on Shetlands roads I think the worst place for drivers breaking the speed limit might well be Lochside despite all the recent publicity and to my mind the place that sees more drivers travelling at a dangerous speed just has to me Commercial street. Yep!.....with the chance of a child (or even an adult) walking into the road without looking I think that anyone driving at more than a fast walking pace is driving dangerously.

And before someone mentions the speed limit I know it is 30mph but the law only imposes maximum speed limits and a driver is still required to adjust speed to suit conditions.

people getting frustrated and over takeing when it may not be safe to do so.

Surely the real answer to your own point Styles. People who get frustrated and overtake when it is not safe to do so should be "done as much as speeders"

Why would anyone feel the need to get "frustrated", Did you leave home late? Is it your road and no-one else has the right to flout the rules you impose?

What about tractors, shall we make them all faster?

And then, come the day when you blow two pistons out of four and can only manage 30mph in the 60, are you ready for your ticket too?

Guest Anonymous

You can fail your driving test for not driving at the proper speed limit, so surely people who will not drive at the proper speed limit once they are qualified should not be driving either.

You can fail your driving test for not driving at the proper speed limit, so surely people who will not drive at the proper speed limit once they are qualified should not be driving either.

It's very snowy today. A lot of the side roads are pretty much untreated. Please, please, please anonymous guest give me a shout and let's see you do sixty on all the roads today, i'd really love to see it. Cos 60 is "the proper speed limit" after all. :twisted:

I always thought that the driving test expected the driver to make due progress having regard to the road conditions. As an extreme example the speed limit on Commercial Street is 30mph. Any learner doing that speed would fail for dangerous driving.

Anyway driving slower than the driver behind wants to drive is not an offence except, I believe, on certain stretches of motorway. And I would add that if anyone driving in Shetland is in so much of a hurry as to get irritated by the spped of traffic in front then they should have started their journey a bit earlier.

• 3 weeks later...

You can generally get by a slow driver.

My absolute pet hate is drivers afore me taking up position on the left of a junction whilst turning right, thereby stopping me fae turning left. I sit in an impotent rage wishing I could had me hand on da horn like they do in Rome.

This is especially galling when exiting left fae Bolts or Sound Service Station. These places hae a one way system, why don't folk use it.

Note to owners of these establishments - perhaps clearer markings would encourage folk like me to visit more.

Rant ower - thanks.