Haggis

Njugle

Haggis, neaps and tatties, you really canna beat it.

I prefer my haggis sliced and either oven roasted or grilled. Haven't had a boiled one for a while. Any other variations?

Also, i ken the Globe have a good pudding, Scalloway butcher is pretty good too (quite spicy), anybody have any other recomendations for the perfect haggis?

There is nothing like a good haggis. I do find, however, that some of the supermarket varieties are very salty. However the Halls vegetarian one is very nice too - which was quite a surprise - I prefer it to the meat one.

Best haggis ever is from butchers, Andersons (?) at Whiteness.

I love a good haggis. Really do. Especially good with Worcester Sauce too! I only roast or steam mine - find it has a less soggy appearance.

Good emergency thing to keep in the freezer too. Very comforting with mashed tatties and neaps in times of crisis. The ultimate comfort food.

I have tried haggis, but I don't like it- I think the idea of what it was composed of put me off.

I used to live in Bruntsfield across from the McSweens butcher shop - they have a good name for making haggis (or so I'm told), but I never liked the smell which wafted out from the extractor fans. They also make a vegetarian haggis which always struck me as a contradiction in terms!

I note that a lot of people spell turnips as "neaps" - I always thought that the correct spelling was "Neeps"

Certainly if you refered to someone as a bit of a thicko you would call them a "neep" not a "neap" and I think this saying derives from calling someone a turnip

Maybe this is a "Mirry" - "Merry" situation!

I note that a lot of people spell turnips as "neaps" - I always thought that the correct spelling was "Neeps"

Certainly if you refered to someone as a bit of a thicko you would call them a "neep" not a "neap" and I think this saying derives from calling someone a turnip

Maybe this is a "Mirry" - "Merry" situation!

Objection Clanchief!........a neep or neap refers to a swede. A turnip is another vegetable although perhaps related to the swede. As for the spelling I think neap refers to the tides so perhaps neep is correct.

Haggis is the one thing we insisted on keeping to the same butcher for when we moved to shetland, Grants of Dornoch, simply the best haggis in the uk, we have tried from the various butchers in lerwick & they simply dont match up in either taste or the lerwick ones are way over oily.

We're having ours tonight when, or rather if the big 2 get in for the weekend from the hostel, if we ate it without them they'd insist on finding new parents ![/code]

I have tried haggis, but I don't like it- I think the idea of what it was composed of put me off.

I tend to adopt a bit of a "Fernly-Whittingstall" approach to this. I hate the idea of killing animals just for the prime cuts, that would be outrageous. Haggis, black pudding and hot dogs are, perhaps, what i consider to be the pinnacle of of offal utilisation. All very tasty and all made from stuff that if you saw it pre-processing you wouldn't feed it to the dog.

Get stuck in! :D

At least a haggis is honest about what's in it. Can you say the same about many burgers, sausages, chopped and shaped meat products, etc?

Personally I love haggis, though I'm the only one in the family who'll eat it. Everyone else suffers from the "ewww" factor too. Ah well, all the more for me, then!

--

BigMick