Top Gear

Twerto

I watched the programme and have to say that I didn't believe the most of it - they probably had the car airlifted by a helicopter for great chunks of the way - and the BBC say that they are no longer going to mislead viewers! The BBC have already admitted that the recent programme showing a caravan catching fire was a total set up.

Here is a recent quote from the motoring press :

"Top Gear is not a motoring programme. It is prime time burlesque and the cult of personalities that just happen to have cars as their hook. Three of the major manufacturers, and possibly several others for all I know, now refuse to co-operate with the programme or to supply it with cars. One PR manager said last month that the programme needs to grow up"

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there wasn't false bits to Top Gear it wouldn't be as half as entertaining.

I I don't watch Top Gear for information about cars, I watch it for entertainment purposes. Lets face it, I'll never be able to afford half the cars they speak about.

To see Clarkson being pushed into a frozen ice-hole was brilliant! I hope YouTube has it....

Pah... YouTube says "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by a third party."

Good job this is the internet we're dealing with...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mvlk_topgear-polar-special-jeremy-clarks_family

(Watch the last quarter of this, if nothing else...)

;)

• 1 year later...

okay telegraph, sun or bbc themselves? this all goes back to someone outing collins back in jan/feb. usually use wiki cause page is less likely to disappear + no subscription to pay + it's simple enough for your average 10 year old to read.

From the Radio Times site

Bookmakers William Hill provided us with the following odds:

Stunt driver Russ Swift - 2/1 favourite

Former F1 world champion Damon Hill - 4/1

Racing driver Ben Collins - 8/1

Jeremy Clarkson - 10/1

Ex-Top Gear test driver Tiff Needell - 14/1

Round-the-world yachtswoman Ellen MacArthur - 100/1

A robot - 1,000/1

A giant wasp - 1,000,000/1

Call me cynical but I don't believe Michael Schumacher is the Stig. I do fully believe he drove the Ferrari FXX but that's why the coincidence seems too convenient he was there driving it anyway as Ferrari's chief test driver, it's easy to say he is The Stig as he was in that particular lap. One of the guys I went so school with works as a sound recordist at the Beeb and he said that it's fairly well known down there that The Stig is more than one person, it depends on the car and if the manufacturer is willing to let their exceedingly expensive car be driven in a hot lap by someone not on their books.

^^ Thats not only a common "insider" explaination but also makes the most logical sense as to why the character even exists.

Very clever move, giving continuity rather than having to explain who the various drivers are and why they are there.

Still, very entertaning and a great publicity stunt to kick off the series.

Out of intrest, are many here following the Australian series? I really enjoyed it last year, but this year has been even better. :)