Hell on earth

Styles

Should Prision be Hell?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should Prision be Hell?

• Yes
    • No

I know a few people who have been in jail and they told me the worst thing was the boredom, they would easy risk going back as it was easy if u could make your own entertainment, one of them went on hard drungs there to get over being bored.

What I say is make prison hell on earth, so terrifing and horrible you never want to go back (I hear Greece is good at this). I would have it none stop pure fear and no pleasure at all, compaired to the tvs and play stations in cells some have now.

Human rights? Sorry mate you may look human but you didnt play by our rules so you have lost them.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

It should be hard labour , kept on a compound within unheated barracks and marched out every day to do 12 hours work the old fashioned way.

Of course they should get medical treatment if necessary and a diet that will keep them in reasonable shape but thats about it.

I know a few people who have been in jail and they told me the worst thing was the boredom, they would easy risk going back as it was easy if u could make your own entertainment, one of them went on hard drungs there to get over being bored.

What I say is make prison hell on earth, so terrifing and horrible you never want to go back (I hear Greece is good at this). I would have it none stop pure fear and no pleasure at all, compaired to the tvs and play stations in cells some have now.

Human rights? Sorry mate you may look human but you didnt play by our rules so you have lost them.

I heard that one got compensation for having to empty his piss pot, he should be grateful that he had a piss pot if anybody should get good money for this sort of thing it should be the nurses. Jails are like hotels except the Tax payer pays the bill maybe reoffenders should have to pay a mortgage or rent from any work that they do because they will end up back there any way

It should be hard labour , kept on a compound within unheated barracks and marched out every day to do 12 hours work the old fashioned way.

That is ridiculous.

No, Prisons should not be 'hell'. Prisons shouldn't just punish, it must also educate. If you (not addressing anyone specifically, just you as in 'one') think its wrong that criminals should be given free education in prisons you're wrong. Prisoners must be educated so that they can see the error of their ways, although this doesn't work for everyone. You can't just say that people should all be subjected to intense labour, long hours and such, because while some may need that, you have to look at each individual case.

Someone with a history of sexual abuse in their family that later went on to commit a crime (of a sexual nature) would not need to suffer the treatment you state, rather, would need to be reformed by a psychologist.

The idea of whether Prisons should be stricter (harder, more punishing) or not is hugely debated. I don't think prisons should be easy at all, I just don't feel that the archaic solution of making it 'hell' is gonna change any hearts.

And this leads us to the question - what causes crime? Is it biological? Is it just committed by people who are just bad? Is it an impulse? Crimes committed on impulse and crimes which are argued at 'biological' need to be looked at closer as these are the kind of people who don't need the hell punishment in prisons.

The issue will never be decided, because you'll always have the old-timer arguement of "lock them all up".

Boredom is a pretty bad thing for a prisoner to experience in a prison, because these people should not be left to just sit and think, they need to be kept active, with education and activities.

Sadly yes, many prisons actually develop drug problems while in prison. Some may go in for something like possessing XTC and come out with a heroin addiction.

What I say is make prison hell on earth, so terrifing and horrible you never want to go back (I hear Greece is good at this). I would have it none stop pure fear and no pleasure at all

Hmm. The idea of prison is to reform these law-breaking citizens into normal citizens again. What are they gonna come out of prison like after experiencing that? How will they ever re-adjust to society if they have experienced that? Its hard enough to reform a prisoner to the extent that he or she may get a job when they get out of prison, but with that burden on it too. They might not commit a crime, however, they might commit suicide because they're just a shadow of a person that they were that could never come back to society.

compaired to the tvs and play stations in cells some have now.

Not every single prisoner has these privileges. And you may ask yourself 'Why?' well the answer, to me, seems obvious. Two reasons: to stop the boredom as I addressed at the start of my post and to keep the idea of society and REAL LIFE in and around the prisoners. When these people leave prison, they are still real humans, with real lifes. While I don't agree that prisons should be given PS2's, Xboxs and what not, I do believe that you have to make at least part of prison relative to real life. It helps with reformation.

A prisoner is still a human with human rights. You can't just say that to every single prisoner. You HAVE to look at the reason why they committed their crime. It might have more of a reason than you think. Not every prisoner is just a 'bad person'.

I heard that one got compensation for having to empty his piss pot, he should be grateful that he had a piss pot if anybody should get good money for this sort of thing it should be the nurses

Are you actually suggesting that prisoners shouldn't get a toilet? Thats outrageous. They might have committed a criminal act, but does it occur to you that that would be a violation of human rights (to deny them toilet facilities)? (I covered why prisoners actually do have human rights in my last post). I do agree that nurses should be paid more though.

Jails are like hotels

Is that why 7 men have killed themselves in HMPrison Kilmarnock since 1999?

Is that why 95 men and woman killed themselves in prisons in England and Wales in 2004?

*sighs*

Well said JAS, you've done us proud. Worthy words.

Just to add:

Droilker: Hard labour eh? A rapist breaks into your home, does what he is there to do and then is restrained by yourself before arrest and imprisonment. 5 years of hard labour later, he's coming back with big rippling muscles and a score to settle. Doesn't sit so well, huh? Think on.

Styles: Ever consider that circumstance or mental health can be a factor in crime? Societal pressures cause more crime then you can possibly imagine. I can understand your sentiment about it, but alas, life is far more complex than 'make it hell and crime will stop'. You may as well progress the idea and say "an eye for an eye", kill and be killed, steal and have your hand chopped off, etc etc. And what an ugly, ugly society this would be. Simple, but ugly. Then there's false conviction.....well, it always happens to someone else doesn't it?

I was "lucky" enough to get sentenced to 28 days inside for avenging my wife who had been groped by a senior rank in the Army. It was 28 days because they were terrified that my wife would go to the papers if I had got any longer. This was at the time that the military were appearing in the papers over mock executions of recruits.

Time in a military nick is hard time, make no mistake. I was in the fortunate position of being held in some esteem by the people who were "guarding" me, so I got it easy compared to some as I was being slipped the odd fag or some other treat.

We were "beasted" from the moment that we got up. We ran everywhere, boots flopping around on our feet only held on by 4" bootlaces, in case we topped ourselves with llong ones. Our kit was constantly inspected and thrown about the place. It had to be PERFECT. Physical training was undertaken every day until the point where you spewed, and then you got some more. There is nothing quite like two prisoners running with a log each around an arduous 5 mile muddy course with a PT instructor yelling in your ear.

Every turd job on camp you were detailed to do. There was rarely a moment's peace. The highlight was 3 days working on the pig farm, being attacked by a huge kamikaze sow. A swift spade to the head on day two made sure she kept her distance.

I had been told that my wife (remember that she was the victim) would get a hard time when I was inside as further punishment. When I was asked by an officer just after the sentence was passed on me if I would like a message passed to her I looked at my watch and told him that her plane would just be touching down in the UK. They hadn't planned for that.

With good behaviour I got 4 days lopped off my sentence. It was possibly the hardest (physically) 24 days of my life. I was determined that I wasn't going back. I was also determined that I would get anonymous vengeance. I never did, but I am not dead yet :wink:

We have a choice about what prisons are for. Even with all the human rights legislation we still have a choice of deciding that prisons are a punishment or are aimed at rehabilitating the prisoners. Sadly it seems that punishment is what society demands. That is a real pity as serious attempts at rehabilitation can and do work.

Ok so I am not saying that a rapist should be back on the streets after 28 days of a shrink telling him not to do it again. Indeed I am in favour of life really meaning life for the minority that deserve it but I am going to use an example from recent Shetland news. Peter Leask. He was punished for his crime by being sent to prison. Whilst there he will have suffered all the indignities that prisoners suffer and perhaps he will even have been taunted (or worse) by other inmates for not being a proper criminal.

Should he have walked from the court a free man?. Well far worse people than him have done so but that is not the point I want to make. I question what good came out of that prison sentence as opposed to being sent to a rehab centre or sent to do "voluntary work" cleaning the casualty department of a hospital.......on the nights the drunks come in.

Perhaps it is also time to remind you that we have all committed a crime at some stage in our lives. Are the "flog and hang them" really saying they are totally innocent?. Somehow I doubt it.

I heard that one got compensation for having to empty his piss pot, he should be grateful that he had a piss pot if anybody should get good money for this sort of thing it should be the nurses

Are you actually suggesting that prisoners shouldn't get a toilet? Thats outrageous. They might have committed a criminal act, but does it occur to you that that would be a violation of human rights (to deny them toilet facilities)? (I covered why prisoners actually do have human rights in my last post). I do agree that nurses should be paid more though.

Jails are like hotels

Is that why 7 men have killed themselves in HMPrison Kilmarnock since 1999?

Is that why 95 men and woman killed themselves in prisons in England and Wales in 2004?

To JAStewart, Njugle ect. I apologise to any one for not making my point clear I don’t have a problem with prisoners having a toilet if and when they build proper prisons for the job but being paying compensation? for doing it (The piss pot bit) what sort of message dose that send new and reoffenders

Its ok lets go and rape and murder we win what ever happens they have nothing to lose these days

Pool tables meals no expenses so why should anybody feel that going to jail is bad apart from missing going to the pub. What about people in substandard accommodation they have toilets that don’t work and they Havant even broken any laws a tall maybe they should be paid compensation where do you draw the line how about shipping them all to the Ascension Island or the South Pole and then let the Royal Navy sail all the way round and stop any one from escaping if there was an easy answer to the problem they would have found it long ago the you all pay income tax to keep them in prison and then compensate them for it time and time we hear about some being let out and a week later killed some one ageing how about a life sentience but then they get out after 15 years what is there in jail to make any one think twice before doing the crime in the first place how about the man who got out for the weekend and won the lottery dose anybody have any better ideas I’m open for ideas but surely we can all agree about paying the compensation cant be a good thing. jus seen on the news Two children found dead by police It doesn’t seem that long from the news about a 3 year old girl being raped in Northern Ireland and now this what ever you views on jail something has to be done and sooner than later

Guest Anonymous

yes i was wrong to say that they should all be given hard labour, serious sex offenders, child killer etc should be executed.

The young thugs like the type who go around beating people up in lerwick should certainly be given hard labour and perhaps a good hard kick in the testicles to go along with it.

they have been getting education for years through the school system , and this is the end product , moronic dole bums who cant handle there drink and go around the streets like a pack of hyena's.

Of course on completion of there debt to society they can become eligible again for training and and education again.

This hug a hoodie nonesense just play's into there hands.

:lol: :lol:

All this 'hang 'em' balls comes from the complete disregard of the fact that even in places where body parts are chopped off for stealing, plenty of people still steal. And the US states that have the death penalty have the highest crime rates (the inverse is also generally true).

Do the advocates of tougher sentences have a theory for this? Or are they willing to accept that the issue of crime has much deeper problems than what to do with a criminal once they have been found guilty.

In Islam stealing for necessity is not a crime, but I guess thats hard to prove, but under Shar law they its only countries that adopt that in their decison makeing like Saudie Arabia that actually chop bits off.

I honestly think murders should be treated to utter pain, humilation and suffering. They should lose the tag of human and be enduced to no end of torment. I think murder or assualt that the person is injured for life should have the culprits, if we cant kill them, made to suffer.

I would love it if the loved ones of a victim could decide the punishment, you may get a few (probally christians) who would forgive, but most would want them to suffer. Quite right.