Can chewing gum realy wrap itself around your heart?

Pleepsie

As a youngster I can remember being told that if I sat with my back too close to the fire that I would melt the fat around my kidneys!

I have also told my kids that drinking vinigar (yes - one of them was very partial to it) would dry their blood up.

I've also made good use of "you will get a black spot on your tongue if you tell a lie" tale, in fact that was the best one ever!

What tales do others remember being told as kids, and do you keep up the tradition of scaring your own kids!

if i ate an apple seed, a tree would grow in my belly.

if i didn't sit up straight, i would end up lookin like my (70 year old hunch backed) grand aunt :?

plus all the business aboot square eyes an all dat jazz fae watchin the t.v. too much

and OMG! if i wisna sleepin by the time santie came he wouldna leave me any presents :cry:

oo, an if i held a :x face and the wind changed direction it wid stay lik that

I've also made good use of "you will get a black spot on your tongue if you tell a lie" tale, in fact that was the best one ever!

The perfect use of child management. "A black tongue," once you've been through the gambling stages of guessing at lies being told, demanding to see the tongue and declaring it truly black, becomes endlessly useful as any child below a certain age has great difficulty in talking while trying to keep their tongue out of vision, to their own impression of what is visible and what is not. It is funny watching them roll it round inside their cheeks when contemplating this after a porky pie! :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

I mind being warned off going places I shouldn't, usually somewhere dark or cramped, by being told that there were 'Skeetamaleeries" there that wid get me. :? Whatever they were....

Not to eat raw potatoes as they were poisonous.....who would want t' aet a raw tautie onywye! 8O

....and one the I am led to believe originated in the NE of Scotland, that if you ate mackerel it would fill your belly with blak clocks (beetles). 8O

Finally, for eenoo....That the tail of your sark just simply must be lang enough that he wis packit under the bawnd 'o your breeks at all times, for ony draw on the sma ih you back, and a chill on your kidneys was inevitable. I never ented dat een avaw, an' me neers ir ey been fine. :D

My big sister once told when I was very small that women grew a new boob every time the had a baby. My Mam had two which made sense, my sister had none (ha ha) which also confirmed the theory but my aunt had four boys and is quite a 'curvy' lady. My sister had me utterly convinced for years that it was because she had four boobs under there!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am way too trusting!

My dad had an excellent, all-purpose saying to ward us small kids away from most hazardous objects which ran: "Don't poke, poking is fatal!".

I knew that to be truly enigmatic long before i knew what enigmatic meant. In fact i spent enough time pondering over what it actually meant that it's a wonder i didn't step in front of a bus or over a cliff. It would make a great Health and Safety sign though......... :wink:

Its not quite scaring the kids... but I am still a bad parent for doing this...

I currently have the two youngest kids convinced that there is a farm just outside Birmingham, where Cadbury keeps all of its Cadbury's Creme Chickens... after all they know eggs come from chickens, so the natural extension of this is that Cadbury's Creme Eggs have to come from Cadbury's Creme Chickens...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I had my kids conviced that I could see through walls, and that this was something that mums could do, but they lost the ability as their kids got older and they didn't need it.

My daughter was playing up in the next room, I told her to stop doing it (can't remember what it was now) - and she was astonished. 'How did you know???'.

So I tols her I could see through walls. She said 'am I waving my arms about'.

I replied 'No' (pause) 'You are now'.

She is nearly 11 now, and is still not sure if I really can or not...

• 1 month later...

I've been suffering from cramp in my calfs through the night, so looked on the internet for possible cures.

Here is what I found.

Cramp in bed can be prevented by placing a potato under the mattress or by putting a roll of brimstone under the part of the body normally affected. Once out of bed a piece of brimstone can be worn or a piece of cork carried in the pocket.

:?