Dropping Internet Connections

BigMouth

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had horrible probs to reach any destination in SCO from the continent over the last week:

only one contact with the Northern Times (Caithness/Sutherland), no contact with Orkney (Orcadian, Orkneycommunities, Orkneyjar etc.) ... no contact with shetlopedia and Shetland Times, only two contacts with Shetland News ... first time that I have reached Shetlink for 4 days now ...

All reporting 404 site not found, 500 error or time out ... :twisted:

Yes, but it's been going on for two months at least. Dropped connections, speeds dropping off steadily late afternoon and early evening, but picks up again after 9 or 10pm, sometimes sticky to get a connection, sometimes coonnections just "die", you're connected, but nothing can be sent/received.

Tiscali at the Ness.

I can't say I have noticed too many problems here. Some sites have been slow at times but nothing exceptional. What you may be experiencing is a follow-on from an attempt to bring down the internet this past week or so. The internet's root servers had a massive denial of service attack in an attempt to bring them down. They withstood the attack but it would have caused a lot of routing problems.

• 4 months later...
Anyone having problems with broadband? It seems that some of us in Hillswick/possibly Northmavine can't connect. ISPs are BT & Pipex that I've heard of so far. It seems it's been off since around midday.

Fifi

Mine was terrible on Wednesday?Thursday but seems to be back to normal.

On my router there is a button that you can click in the software to disconnect. Once I hit disconnect then reconnect it is up and running again, but sometimes for no more than 30 minutes :cry:

Thanks. Ours is just a little USB modem from Pipex and don't have no reset buttons!

As people in the area who are with various ISPs can't get on, we're thinking it might be a problem with our exchange or a problem elsewere which is affecting those on our exchange. Someone else in the area was eventually able yesterday to convince BT that we had a problem with broadband - the operative said the line was ok, there were no problems. They are going to send out an engineer on Monday.

It seems to have come back this afternoon. And funnily enough, it's come back with our new whizzy speed - as though someone's flicked a switch somewhere.. We had been on 2 meg and had recently upgraded to 'up to 8meg'.

Being interested to see what speed we're now getting, at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html we're now getting around 5.2meg download speed and 0.4meg upload.

Does anyone have any information regarding the exchanges which are on 512k? I seem to remember Tavish having a hand in one being upgraded not that long ago? North Roe is the only exchange in Northmavine which isn't able to get 'up to 8meg' as far as I know..