David Cameron on Drugs

I was amused to here on the news recently that conservative leader David Cameron took drugs while a student (apparently).

In my opinion, if he has (innocent until proven guilty), I think he should admit to it. I don't condone the use of any illegal substance; all the same I don't think he should be chastised for it.

I don't see how it could affect his leadership in any way, apart from him possibly being rather well informed on such issues. :wink:

Wouldn't that be a benefit? :idea:

I nearly complemented him on his honesty but I don't think he wanted it to come out.

While I'm glad that politicians have moved on from the "I smoked but didn't inhale"/"I snorted but sneezed" lines (which seem to be spun to imply they were cool enough to be at parties where these things happen, whilst ensuring they don't have to comment on the potentially enjoyable effects) I can't help thinking that a spliff in a dorm at Eton is not exactly going to get him speaking the language of the shell-suited masses. Or any non-shell-suited cheeba-chuffing youngster for that matter.

It won't change my opinion of him anymore than learning that he had a glass of wine with his tea last night. He is still a pompous torry twat that I wouldn't trust as far as I could throw.

I do not care if the guy smoked pot, dropped tabs of acid or got smashed on rough cider. I do care about the point he is making about the privacy of the individual. Far too many people are having their past raked over by nasty little so called newspapers and that is for one reason only.....to sell more copies.

Where there is a genuine concern for public safety then it is fair enough for a newspaper to publish its findings......just think that had the press released the truth about Huntley then Holly and Jessica would still be alive. And it is reasonable for the press to ask questions about any hidden financial interests our elected representatives may have be it a local councillor or a Prime Minister.

Revelations that have no relevance to the ability of the named person to do the job should not be made and if they are made I think a severe penalty against the paper and reporter concerned would be right.

Meanwhile I think that a refusal to discuss allegations is sensible. If more well known people just refuse to comment then the presumption that a refusal to deny is evidence of guilt will with time just fade away.

As much as I dislike Davie C, he's right. He deserves to have had a private life before he got into politics.

Q: Should politicians be 'perfect' people?

A: No, because they represent normal people, and not everyone is perfect. No-one is.

They may represent the people but they are hardly representative of the people. Of the 1,000 people on Shetlink, how many went to Eton?

Politicians constantly nose into our lives. They seem to want the benefits that high office brings but not the drawbacks. Remember that it is people like this that will be telling us how to live our lives.

They may represent the people but they are hardly representative of the people. Of the 1,000 people on Shetlink, how many went to Eton?

Politicians constantly nose into our lives. They seem to want the benefits that high office brings but not the drawbacks. Remember that it is people like this that will be telling us how to live our lives.

And how many people went to Harvard, how many went to Paisley?

I don't think it really matters who went where for their education. The fact that he went to Eton is actually quite reassuring, he has intellect unlike many in the cabinet or who were in the cabinet. It's the policies that matter at the end of the day

I don't think it really matters who went where for their education. The fact that he went to Eton is actually quite reassuring, he has intellect unlike many in the cabinet or who were in the cabinet.

I'm not sure an Eton education is a sign of intellect, more a sign of very rich parents.

Mutton wrote

I don't think it really matters who went where for their education. The fact that he went to Eton is actually quite reassuring, he has intellect unlike many in the cabinet or who were in the cabinet. It's the policies that matter at the end of the day

Oh dear! What a dangerous assumption. Places for boys at Eton were until relatively recently more or less reserved for those who had been registered almost from birth and then only for those whose parents could afford the fees. Sure there was the "common entrance exam" but between prep school and if needed a crammer I suspect the failure rate was not high.

Politicians need common sense, the ability to foresee the long term effects of their actions and a desire to do the best for their country. I am sure that most MPs of the party that does not have many members who went to Eton/Harrow/Millfield etc and then on to Oxford or Cambridge are quite capable of doing their duties as MPs as indeed those selected to cabinet posts are quite capable of making wise decisions. And yes I am aware that the party leader went to Fettes