• Windows 98/xp/vista etc.
    • Mac OS
    • Linux (any distrobution)
    • A Mixture

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usual problem with getting Linux to recognise my usb modem.....I am getting another one.....but pclinuxos, mandriva2007, metisse or one of the bsd distros are ahead of the field so far. Mepis fell at the first hurdle taking so long to boot on either computer that I had time not only to make some tea but to drink it.......I will go back to that one. Checking distrowatch frequently for the next release of pclinuxos.

Every time I load a new distro I find I am getting more and more comfortable with Linux. Meanwhile I am using Firefox and Thunderbird on my windows machine so at least they will be familiar when I do change over.

Linux could do whatever you want, better than MS, and work all the time. :wink:

Can it run Ableton Live? No? Oh well then. :(

I use Linux for running a webserver and it's great for that but, at consumer level, it's just overkill and too awkward for the great unwashed.

Yeah, you are right Mcdilly-Willy, when you say that Linux has shining examples such as 'Open Office', etc. However, the problem is that programs such as Ableton are excellent and I like them as they are... the Linux alternatives may do the job, but not as nicely or as powerfully. Never mind that when people have invested a lot of hours into learning a particular application, they can be loathe to switch for (seemingly) nerdy ideals ;)

I general I am in favour of open-source and the GNU. In practice, not every alternative is as good as the competition. :(

If Linux really could do everything I need, then I would use it. But it cannot. So I don't. Sorry.

I use Linux for running a webserver and it's great for that

I agree It makes a fantastic web server, I use Gentoo.

but, at consumer level, it's just overkill

There are many Linux distros now being aimed at the so called "consumer level", that is they look easier to start using, and you could use them a lot like windows, but if you wanted to, it is still Linux, so "su root" - and away you go!

The fact of the matter is that Windows has been Dumbed down, Linux isnt over Kill.

too awkward for the great unwashed.

I would agree that with the majority of computer users, Windows does them becuase thats what there used to so why change it?, thats the only reason Linux would be "Awkward"?

Well for a minority who don't like to be restricted, and like the freedom to have absolute control over their system then Linux is the way to go.