• Windows 98/xp/vista etc.
    • Mac OS
    • Linux (any distrobution)
    • A Mixture

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the future holds for Windows after Vista?

With everything we've been hearing about Vista over the last few weeks, it would be nice to think that the future holds only a well-deserved death for Windows!

Since computing seems to be heading back towards a client / thin server model, with Google et al starting up office suites and so on, perhaps all we'll need is a very simple terminal. If it's stoopid enough it might even be more virus-proof.

I use XP (on the box when I got it), but the firewall is Smoothwall (Linux). You've got to have some honest software in there somewhere :)

I wonder what the future holds for Windows after Vista?

There's a service pack coming for Vista which is supposedly going to add more features rather than fixes. Hopefully it'll be all the good stuff they chopped out to get Vista out this decade.

The next version of Windows ("Vienna") may well have a completely new GUI, sandboxes for unmanaged code and use the net to deliver your desktop to you wherever you are. All good stuff. It's slated for 2009. Uh-huh :wink:

Whats going to be different in regards to their GUI?

I mean are we talking about moving the start menu about or changing colours; or is it going to be more interactive/immersive, i.e. Minority Report (Movements of the fingers moving things around on a big glass screen?) <- I suspect not....

Which leads me on to...

Drastically changing the GUI for windows, for instance making it look like OSx or KDE/GNOME (not saying thats the way they would go, but I'm not sure how different it could look or behave), surely that would make it hugely "Awkward" for users to change to, if they have been used to using Vista.

Awkwardness seems to be the excuse not to change from windows. So you could say that if it is a huge change they might aswell change to Linux or Mac OSx?

Whats going to be different in regards to their GUI?

:idea: A dock? :lol:

It's all under wraps and extremely hush hush AFAIK. Whatever it ends up being I hope it'll be scalable and resolution aware. There's more and more portable PCs coming out with smaller screens (e.g. 7" running at 800 x 480) that suffer because of GUIs designed for much higher desktop resolutions.

As for Minority Report kinda stuff - it's already there. The fantastic piece of freeware "StrokeIt" does gestures and Vista has pen flicks built in to the OS for those with an active digitiser.

As for Minority Report kinda stuff - it's already there.

I wasn't talking about mouse gestures to be fair. Thats not a very drastic leap forward, and it doesn't really have the interactive/immersive qualities I was describing. It would probably annoy the day-to-day user, I mean whats wrong with the mouse as it is?

Didn't firefox come out with a mouse gestures extension about 14 years ago? :lol:

The interface in Minority Report was laughable. Did they never hear of ergonomics? Small, quick movements are always going to be more efficient and comfortable than huge, sweeping gestures. One would be exhausted at the end of the day if one had to stand there waving one's arms around like a loon.