• Windows 98/xp/vista etc.
    • Mac OS
    • Linux (any distrobution)
    • A Mixture

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quid Pro Quo. You have come full circle on your own questions and answered them yourself.

Trout, I have an answer for everything. I have to admit that I did know why there is such a situation with Linux, I was mearly sparking off a debate in the hope that some windows users may start looking for answers and follow a more technologically sound road toward Linux.

Connect a standard base install of either operating system onto the net with no protection and wait. Both will be attacked and rooted.

Indeed you are correct, but if that is following example you are incredibly silly to do so. It is harder to "root" linux than windows. Just to ask by "root" did you mean discover the system admin password?

[...]Indeed you are correct, but if that is following example you are incredibly silly to do so.

Please expand on this? The only fair comparison of an operating system is it's base install.

It is harder to "root" linux than windows. Just to ask by "root" did you mean discover the system admin password?

"Root is a privileged account", Linux is "more" secure.

Theoretically, yes. However, this is subjective and only partly true.

May I refer you back to here where I point out what "security" is all about!

Running a portscan and finding a daemon accepting incoming connections is one of many ways to upload a script to /tmp and wget/curl/lynx any manner of horrors onto a box.

From the daemon it is a simple process to cause a stack buffer overflow, and or gain root priviledges through any number of applications ... or you just wait until the users goes su or root.

I agree trout, those are common ways of breaching a system but your example is unrealistic. The fact is that most systems will have security, in the shape of a firewall. etc.

Basically nowadays, its a catch 22 situation. Unless the system is not connected to the outside world.

Although you have to admit that with hindsight, linux with its modular design is far better suited for defending system critical files etc, compared with window's monolthic design.

If someone is determined enough, they could theoretically break any system.

I agree trout, those are common ways of breaching a system but your example is unrealistic. The fact is that most systems will have security, in the shape of a firewall. etc.

Basically nowadays, its a catch 22 situation. Unless the system is not connected to the outside world.

Although you have to admit that with hindsight, linux with its modular design is far better suited for defending system critical files etc, compared with window's monolthic design.

If someone is determined enough, they could theoretically break any system.

Unrealistic, how? You stated that Linux is "more secure" and I merely point out that without following security protocols and being a competant adminstrator as detailed here any system can be compromised. Just because you have a firewall doesn't make it impossible to get into your system as I detailed in my "unrealistic" example. You answered it yourself by stating "If someone is determined enough, they could theoretically break any system." :roll:

For you to then state that "The fact is that most systems will have security, in the shape of a firewall. etc." is a given on any operating system, which answers your own point and follows to what I have previously stated! ANY system is insecure unless you follow security protocols and be a vigilant and competant administrator.

Yes, *nix based operating systems modularity mean they are inherently more secure than operating systems operating on a monolithic design. That I cannot fault ;) but again that is not the be all and end all of computer security.

You stated that Linux is "more secure" and I merely point out that without following security protocols and being a competant adminstrator as detailed here any system can be compromised.

ANY system is insecure unless you follow security protocols and be a vigilant and competant administrator.

ahem...

Yes, *nix based operating systems modularity mean they are inherently more secure than operating systems operating on a monolithic design.

ahem...
Yes, *nix based operating systems modularity mean they are inherently more secure than operating systems operating on a monolithic design.

*ahem* right back at ya, and take the whole quote next time!

Yes, *nix based operating systems modularity mean they are inherently more secure than operating systems operating on a monolithic design. That I cannot fault ;) but again that is not the be all and end all of computer security.

Note I am merely clearing up spurious sweeping generalisations and statements made about the security of Linux against the Windows operating system.

A user moving to Linux and not securing their box as they would do with Windows is still leaving themselves open to attack and compromise. Just because you have Linux on your system does not mean that you are high and dry!

Trout:

*ahem* right back at ya, and take the whole quote next time!

Oh sorry:

That I cannot fault Wink but again that is not the be all and end all of computer security.

I agree it isn't the be all and end all, but it certainly helps.

A user moving to Linux and not securing their box as they would do with Windows is still leaving themselves open to attack and compromise. Just because you have Linux on your system does not mean that you are high and dry!

I realise that you are not high and dry, however I am just pointing out the fact there is a main difference why Linux is built in a way that theoretically is better for security risks than windows.