Councillors - Elections & Golden Goodbyes

Fjool

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesh now dat really wid be amusing - I can see the headlines already!

Funny enough I had a phone call from a friend of mine today, a guy called Sunny Moodie who is standing in the Highland Council election at 18 to, and found out that there is an 18 year old standing in the Scottish Parliament Election.

I'll be standing in the Shetland North Ward

Yesh now dat really wid be amusing - I can see the headlines already!

Funny enough I had a phone call from a friend of mine today, a guy called Sunny Moodie who is standing in the Highland Council election at 18 to, and found out that there is an 18 year old standing in the Scottish Parliament Election.

I'll be standing in the Shetland North Ward

I will be voting in that ward and despite the age gap I am quite prepared to listen to what, if anything, the candidates give as reasons to vote for them and I would certainly see youth as a positive asset on the new council.

So, bigdandancingman, what can you tell folks in your prospective ward about yourself which might encourage them to vote for you?

Ok firstly I hate doing these kind of things because it make people think that your bragging about yoursel so instead I'm posting an article which a reporter wrote about me, about a month ago.

Bigdandancingman is living proof that giving young people a political voice early on helps to form them into active citizens. At school he was elected onto the school council at 14. From there he progressed onto Shetland Youth Voice, and has been on its executive since there was an executive. He became involved with Young Scot which, in 2003, hosted the first online election for the Scottish Youth Parliament. Voter turnout for that election was 63%, which is significantly higher than for the adult Scottish Parliament election.

“Our headmaster at Brae High School listened to what young people had to say. It all started from there,†explains Bigdandancingman. “Since then, I’ve always followed “politicsâ€. I’ve always believed in youth empowerment within the political system.†In March 2006 he received a Young Scot of the Year award, and later that year an Award of Excellence for his work within the different organisations.

The critical difference between Bigdandancingman and disenfranchised young people is that at an early age Bigdandancingman discovered he could make a difference. “I remember when I was 15 I had to give a presentation to a group of ministers in Dunblane. They were all in their suits and ties, and I was there in my scruffy jeans – but it was just an achievement to know that they were listening to me and at the end of my speech I received a standing ovation, the feeling is like nothing I can describe.â€

He helped set up a national website on mental health issues written by and for young people (www.talking2ourselves.com) and went on to organise a national health conference in Scotland specifically addressing young people’s health issues – the only one of its kind in Europe.

He plays a major part in his community; he currently sits as a Director of the Northmavine Development Company that currently holds Initiative at the Edge Status and leads up a Youth Group looking at young people and the future for Northmavine, the only group of its kind within the Initiative at the Edge areas. Bigdandancingman is part of the initiative to make Mavis Grind a more attractive area for locals and tourist. Mavis Grind is an area in Shetland where you can throw a stone across from one side (North Sea) to the other (Atlantic), it is also where the boundaries of Delting and Northmavine lay.

By then end of 2005 Bigdandancingman became employed as a skillseeker by the ***************** and by the time he joined UNISON (trade union) at the age of 17, he was already a seasoned campaigner. But having got in touch with his Young Members contact, he quickly became Young Members Officer for Shetland and almost immediately was elected onto the Scottish Young Members Committee and the National Young Members’ Forum. “Getting involved in UNISON was one of the best things that I ever did,†he says now. “All the issues around the minimum wage, equal pay and lowering the voting age are the things that I’ve always been interested in.â€

In June 2006 Bigdandancingman spoke at UNISON’s National Conference for the first time asking over 3000 UNISON members and MP’s to support to campaign for lowering the voting age to 16, his motion brought the most new speaker to the conference that year.

Minimum wage issues are very pertinent to Bigdandancingman who, as an 18 year-old Modern Apprentice, is exempt from the National Minimum Wage. Modern Apprentices, and all 16-17 year-olds, are even exempt from Age Discrimination legislation which was introduced last year. “It’s about getting consistency and fairness for young people when they turn 16,†he says. “Its major terms and conditions issue and we’ve got to step up our work to do away with the age differentials in the minimum wage.â€

It seems pretty clear that with experienced and committed young people like Bigdandancingman, consistency and fairness for young people could be just around the corner.

This way it lets other people make their own judgements and I am not bragging about mysel.

So am I worthy of council?

No not anymore! 18 for local council but 21 for Scottish Parliament!

Sorry I got this wrong its also now 18 for the Scottish Parliament!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/6511111.stm

The person pictured in this story doesn't look 18, nor does he look much like a Charlotte.

I may be unfashionable here, but I'm not sure I would suggest standing as bigdancingman. It might work with Shetlinkers, but other folk might just think you're a bit daft.

Hmmm... Shot in the dark, ever go to the Hostel bigdandancingman?

I reckon du should go fir it. The council has been lacking in representation for the younger generations in Shetland for as long as I can remember. I'm sure du wid come as a breath o fresh air, and mibee even a keek up da muckle sphincter.

While I have no desire to be negative about 18yo councillors there is something that any young person would have to consider. What effect will serving on the council have on their education and future work prospects. It would be a big sacrifice to damage their chances of a career to serve for one term and then get left to try and catch up with whatever they wanted to do.

Of course for a career in politics a term on the SIC might be a good first step and it would be good for the council to have at least one young member.

What can I say bigdandancingcinman I am glad to hear your standing, and your references appear impeccable. Good luck with your campaign. There appears to be a fair bit of scope to get your message accross. Hans from Shetland News is offering all candidates a "cyber soapbox" on the website, they are creating a section just for the election. Drop him an email to let him know you are standing.

Come on the rest of you !