Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

As all the info should already be in the public domain I see no reason why not.

Also the measure of a consultants success is measured by whether or not they have to go on the books and take a wage. Those that do are not very successful.

And surely when they have their hands out for millions of pounds a past history of success should be paramount.

You felt free to discuss them here

As I said, many Shetland Arts staff have run their own businesses, or have been self employed/freelance

and here

As far as Shetland Arts’ staff go, we run the Garrison and Bonhoga and organise numerous events and festivals throughout the year. Many of the staff also have experience of running festivals, events and venues outwith Shetland, as well as running their own businesses. There’s more detailed info on the website

Staff - http://www.shetlandarts.org/about/staff/

Events - http://www.shetlandarts.org/events/

Venues - http://www.shetlandarts.org/venues/

As well as the staff, the Board of Trustees come from a wide range of backgrounds in both the public and private sectors

you even felt free to post a link to staff profiles on the SA site in the last one, and from that we can see the head of SA has no formal education except an MSc in Cultural Management and Policy from Queen Margaret University, an airy fairy degree if ever there was.

I'll be willing to bet that their current salaries are the most money any of them have ever made, all subsidised from our money pot.

less than a 1/3 of the staff are locals so we are importing folks to throw our money away to, and this organization made up of incomers is a very expensive drain on our resources.

12 million to help folks to pretend to be trees and not enough to pay for music tuition in the schools.

12 million to watch a film on the big screen when we could of done up the garrison for a hell of a lot less.

12 million for a smaller venue than the one we already have.

Unfortunately the real cost of mareel will be a lot higher in terms of money and opportunity lost because without free music lessons in the schools there will be a lot less musicians up here in 10 years time to play in the damn thing.

Outside school kids are more interested in PS3s and X Box's than fiddles these days and mareel does not address that problem.

.........no formal education except an MSc ........

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

A master's degree is an academic degree granted to individuals who have undergone study demonstrating a mastery or high-order overview of a specific field of study or area of professional practice.[1] Within the area studied, graduates possess advanced knowledge of a specialized body of theoretical and applied topics; high order skills in analysis, critical evaluation and/or professional application; and the ability to solve complex problems and think rigorously and independently.

Sounds like quite a lot of formal education to me!

As all the info should already be in the public domain
If it's all in the public domain why not do it yourself?
I have

?

less than a 1/3 of the staff are locals so we are importing folks to throw our money away to, and this organization made up of incomers is a very expensive drain on our resources.

And there we have it :roll:

Shetland and music have had a long and rich history together without mareel or anything like it.

Then some folks come up here from places with no such rich musical history and proceed to tell us what we are doing wrong, and how if we let them spend millions they will show us how to do it right.

Am I missing something here, I don't remember lots of cash getting thrown at my pals that were learning to play instruments, and yet they are a very talented bunch.

Mareel will serve no other purpose than to massage the egos and swell the bank accounts of certain folks who will fly or sail out of here leaving us several million quid poorer for their ever having been here in the first place.

An interesting viewpoint from a family friend who lives in Larbert (just outside Falkirk, for those who may not know)

He couldn't understand how there could be any objections at all against a development like Mareel, as it is precisely the kind of venue that, were is proposed down south, would have village councils, business groups etc fighting tooth and nail to have it in their area, not the other way round!

maybe that would be because they have a bigger catchment area and would be able to get folks to come into the area for film or gig, but up here we have the folks on the island and that is it.

folk in the outer isles wont get any use from it unless they also have overnight accommodation, in fact that is the conclusion they came to at a public meeting and informed their councillor of that decision yet she still voted for the damn thing.

What was it I said before about incomers imposing their crap on us and us paying for it.

We happily go to mainland Scotland to see gigs, why wouldn't people from there come here?

If it were financially viable and logistically possible to fit in, clickamin could be selt out every weekend with artists nowhere near "top of the bill " elsewhere. Let alone a venue with the logistics already sorted which is less than half the capacity.

What on earth stops people in the outer isles from coming? Didn't you know we have ferries that connect us to the mainland? Perfectly easy to catch a bus in Baltisound, go watch a film/attend a gig, and return home. Public transport in Shetland is way better than many people realise, and Mareel is perfectly situated to take advantage of that.

As I've already stated, one of the big reasons I support the project is the difference it will make to rural halls, outer isles especially, in bringing up bigger (more expensive) artists. Clickamin is too big a risk and when pairing with even the bigger mainland halls it was still touch and go to break even, sometimes we didnt.

Mareel is something Shetlanders have campainged for for at least 25 years, I have no idea where you can possibly find evidence of "incomers imposing" it on us. Don't you think they would rather we carried on paying a fortune to get access to their similar same facilities south?

He couldn't understand how there could be any objections at all against a development like Mareel, as it is precisely the kind of venue that, were is proposed down south, would have village councils, business groups etc fighting tooth and nail to have it in their area, not the other way round!

I'm sure he could understand objections in Larbert if someone proposed building a cinema with his taxes when there are two large multiplexes within a 10 min drive in either direction of the village he lives in.

Has it already been decided who will be General Manager of Mareel?.
I missed your post earlier, but no, the post(s) are still to be filled

Skaterboy, pick up the phone and call me if you want to sort this out - 01595 743 843 - lets not waste each others time with this pointless backing and foreing