Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

And I'll bet you at least one of them will go to a non-Shetlander(as in someone not living in Shetland)......

I'd have thought the clue was in the title as in Shetland Arts......

:?

You'd give the job to someone who wasn't qualified/capable purely because they're local?

Well someone's got to fund the usherette's torches:

"BLEAN (n.)

Scientific measure of luminosity : 1 glimmer = 100,000 bleans. Usherettes' torches are designed to produce between 2.5 and 4 bleans, enabling them to assist you in falling downstairs, treading on people or putting your hand into a Neapolitan tub when reaching for change."

and the Kia Ora (I'll be your dog!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjvJFNXkMgU

Btw, will there be a Chinese restaurant just around the corner from this cinema?

Btw, will there be a Chinese restaurant just around the corner from this cinema?

Unless something dramatic has happened with the fuel tanks in the area, there already is. Two in fact, and an Indian, and a few pubs, all of whom will benifit from my patronage more than the do now I suspect :D

(Or have I missed some rhetorical/comical reference?)

Unless something dramatic has happened with the fuel tanks in the area, there already is. Two in fact, and an Indian, and a few pubs, all of whom will benifit from my patronage more than the do now I suspect :D

(Or have I missed some rhetorical/comical reference?)

Yes you did - a lot of movie houses in the South would run short commercials for local restaurants and taxi services as well as regular adverts and trailers. I particularly remember seeing an ad in the Dreamland Cinema in Margate - "Come to the Sonali Haati Tandoori Restaurant. Just 400 yards from this Cinema." The 70s style clipped radio announcer voice is hard to get out of your head and will no doubt be stuck there for another 30 years now.

LOL - The Odeon, Leicester Square, had a particularly "brilliant" advert for a massive Chinese restaurant 5 mins walk away. However, we are, of course, forgetting the original Gordon's Gin adverts - classic! :lol:

That wouldn't be Won Kee's by any chance would it? Four or five floors of abusive waiters, cramped tables and food that came from Chinese Heaven.

While I was away south recently I went to an afternoon showing of a strange Greek film called "Dogtooth". Now in a city of more than 250,000 residents I think the 70 or so seat arts centre cinema was less than half full but I really hope that Mareel will be able to minority interest films at quiet times and that they will be able to give an assurance that showings will go ahead even if just 1 ticket is sold.

For the past few days i've been reading up on Mareel. I think its just what the Shetlands needs. The Shetlands is full of musical talent, there is so much to offer!

We have to start thinking about whats best for our children, because our children are the future.

Who is going to entertain us with music when i'm old and grey...our children.

Who is going to be there to wipe me clean when i'm in a home...our children.

Who is going to feed me when my hands get bit off by a dolphin...our children.

Who is going to dry me when i'm dripping...our children.

Who is going to star in movies when we fancy watching one...our children.