Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Do you know of Rog then Peeriebryan?

I first heard of him through the http://www.speakerplans.com website which he runs. He knows his stuff!

And keep us updated with the sound & lighting etc as I'd love to know what's going into Mareel!

In the auditorium there a quite a few options with regards to speakers and amps and a lot to consider - cost, reliability, size etc - to ensure 'maximum bang for the buck'. I'm amazed at advances made in PA design over the past decade or so. The rule of thumb used to be that you need a big box to shift a lot of air, as had been the case for many years, but that's not the case any more.

Then there's the front of house desk - the new desk will be digital, but there still isn't a clear 'industry standard' manufacturer to emerge, and digital desks are evolving at a terrific pace. Yamaha are, I suppose, the nearest thing to a industry standard, but there are other desks that do certain things better. Mareel's desk will require a wide range of facilities for tasks beyond PA, such as live broadcast, recording, theatre productions etc, so it's a big ask for one desk.

So we'll see what PLASA has to offer (I can't make it though :cry: )

And to avoid the analogue vs. digital debate, Shetland Arts has a great Allen & Heath desk that can be plumbed in for visiting engineers who still prefer analogue.

The studio and multi media suite will be primarily using Pro Tools for audio recording and editing

What sort of big artists can we expect to see at Mareel and who would you like to see playing there ?

I think we might struggle to get the big acts up here , but really thats what were going to need to get the people threw the door and make Mareel pay for itself , if the people who are organising this were to liase with Orkney and try to book the artists to play a nite there and a nite in Shetland surley this would be a more attractive offer to bands or artists ?

Guest Anonymous

The few big names that have played here have played to a bigger audiance than the 750 capacity that mareel will have.

And when SA were touting it, it was getting big name bands up here that was one of their major selling points.

We (or should I say our councilours) have been conned by a bunch of self serving idiots

with a capacity of 750 I seriously doubt any big name artist will ever appear there and certainly not at a profit

Why not?

One of the big problems for promoters taking acts up here just now is the lack of such a venue (obviously), since there are basically country halls, then clickamin.

Lets take a comparitive venues like the 800 capacity Liquid Room in Edinburgh, a quick look at their past/upcoming gigs : Manic Street Preachers, The Damned, Joe Strummer, Franz Ferdinand, Smashing Pumpkins, Coldplay, Saw Doctors, Blink 182.. Those are just the ones I've been interested in, obviously there have been many many more.

Slip over to Glasgow and you have similarly intimate venues like King Tuts WahWah Hut, where the likes of Pulp, Suede, Gomez, Barenaked Ladies, Catatonia, Beck, Ash, Supergrass, the Charlatans, Deacon Blue, Rae & Christian and Mercury Rev have taken the stage, then the famous two week period during which The Verve, Radiohead and Oasis played there.

But if those examples are too central, how about the Ironworks in Inverness?

It's not so long ago that the legendary Glasgow Barrowland opened a secondary "intimate" venue seating about 400 (from memory) which just goes to show, not everyone wants to be in, or play for, an arena of 20-150 thousand people. As said many times before on this thread, there will always be a place for those events, and that place isn't here, and isnt what Mareel is supposed to be.

And before the travel is mentioned - as has been pointed out before and is pretty obvious, if you're south of the border, or not in the UK at all, whether you fly to sumburgh or edinburgh makes minimal difference cost wise.

Above all - nobody can complian that "they dont put on anything I like", because if "they" don't then don't moan about it, get on the net and the phone and get it organised yourself! :D

with a capacity of 750 I seriously doubt any big name artist will ever appear there and certainly not at a profit

Why not?

Franz Ferdinand played to 400 odd at the Whiteness Hall.

Biffy Clyro played to 350 at the Burra hall.

Just a couple of bands off the top of my head, i'm sure there will be one or two more if i did some research. I'm not even going to start with the big name DJ's that have played at Burra, Yell, Norscot Angling Club, Baroc, North Star, etc.

Some bands don't care about making huge profits all the time. Some of them actually care enough about there fans to take a bit of a loss to play smaller venues as any losses will be swallowed up by their bigger gigs.

If you sell 750 tickets at £35 you have £26250 to play with. I'm pretty sure a lot of big name artists can be brought up to Shetland for less than that.

The few big names that have played here have played to a bigger audiance than the 750 capacity that mareel will have.

And when SA were touting it, it was getting big name bands up here that was one of their major selling points.

We (or should I say our councilours) have been conned by a bunch of self serving idiots

Wow is it time to repeat this drivel again? Already?

Change the record this one has been done to death.

A source close to the band said that U2 would be willing to play for 80 quid plus a fish supper(each).

This has caused Bob Plant to have a rethink,as he was thinking of "getting his old band back together"-but the bass player wants to know if there is a veggie option.

The xx have doubled their price since their mercury triumph, and are now demanding at least 90 pounds each and luxury accommodation at the Grand.

Sir Cliff flatly refused, stating that Shetland was full of inbred sheepshagging nancies who were unlikely to appreciate his new direction,and this saddened him as he had been working on some "hot nu turd".

Van the Man had never heard of Shetland , but was frantically trying to pull together some sort of show in the hope that he could keep up with Sir Tom, who is already booked to open for Loveshack. Michael Stipe was furious that peter buck had not asked him,as tired pony were scrabbling for a slot.

W Axl Rose told everyone to "chill the farkout" and wait, like he and everyone else-including AC/DC-had to, because of one W. Nelsons' aggressive campaign to block book next december.

Prince was just happy to be asked to fill the "token moorit Monthly" nite slot,and promised not to show his penis again(there were near riots in Mossbank last time)

I couldn't understand Madonnas reply,as it sounded like she had her mouth full.

Tom Waits has run out of demos to send but said he would try and burn off a copy as soon as he got his computer fixed.

Jedward were unavailable for comment. The nobheads.

Sheryl Crow said that she would only play if she could go on after Take that, but she'd be happy to play for expenses plus a slab of Mc Nabs kippers.

Haven't heard back from Rush or Toto yet, but I hear that Neil Peart has commissioned some cymbals etched with jarl squad shield designs,so that's looking hopeful.

Tom Petty does want to come, but he thinks that the wind might mess his hair up, and that just isn't on.

I hear that a French tribute band "Le Bogshag" are working on their "Polson Grins",and as soon as the citrus stage leathers have arrived they will be here,willing to busk in case of a cancellation.

The Building isn't even finished yet, so keep your bile to yourself until it is, Bobdahog, calling folk idiots just makes you sound even more like a punter who has less than no clue.

What you can do to help is wait till it's built, then pay some money to get a ticket,have a drink in the bar and catch a show. Might help you relax a little.

Guest Anonymous

I do hope it is a success but as you can tell i seriously doubt it will ever turn a profit. so if that is the case will all those that shout so loudly in its favour on here and elsewhere dig into their own pockets to subsidise it because I for one will certainly not