Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Guest Anonymous

architecs although they do draw are not going to be making much use of the mareel neither is the II Shetland, The Shetland News, or the Shetland times, as is the case with Radio Shetland and SIBC so there is 80% of the figures you think are relevent that plainly are not

only thing any of them have in common with you lot is II Shetland and its reliance on grants

just where are these 400+/- jobs and how exactly do they create 25million.

The Ekos report deals with the Creative Industries, which include activities many will, I expect, find surprising. The numbers quoted by peeriebryan are not exclusively the arty-farty and puffin-economy stuff, they even include oil industry design work and newsagents. They are therefore probably true, but perhaps also somewhat misleading. The following paragraph from the report is very relevant, as is the breakdown in the associated graph and table:

3.3 Architecture and publishing are strong sources of employment in

Shetland’s CI, and the occupational data (Table 1) also suggest relative

concentrations in design and arts-related activities. In the former, this

will include technical design in oil-related activities as well as textiles

design, and in the latter, this is dominated by newspaper publishing and

retail activity (newsagents and similar).

Guest Anonymous

see post above eric, like I said the arty farty brigade being somewhat economical with the truth when engaged in self promotion

In fact I would go as far as to say that 99% of the figures quoted in monetary value have damn all to do with anything happening in mareel.

so let me ask you peeriebrian have you read and understood the report

as much as I needed to to realise it was self promoting sprootle from the arty farty brigade
So you expect me to debate the findings of a report with you, and you can't even be bothered to read it? :roll:

Instead of posting ill informed anonymous insults and generalised rantings, I humbly suggest you take the time to inform yourself of the subject in question

architecs although they do draw are not going to be making much use of the mareel neither is the II Shetland, The Shetland News, or the Shetland times, as is the case with Radio Shetland and SIBC so there is 80% of the figures you think are relevent that plainly are not
Mareel is one development in a burgeoning creative sector in Shetland. At no point did I say that Mareel will comprise of the entire creative sector

But since you mention the local media, they will potentially benefit considerably from Mareel in terms of increased advertising revenue and content generation (such live radio broadcasts, such as event reviews and photo features)

But it is difficult to have any meaningful dialogue with you bobdahog since you disparagingly refer to 'arty farty types' in your posts instead of defining what disciplines or industries you're talking about

Guest Anonymous

In your whole hearted support of mareel you selectively quoted that the creative industries were worth 25 million a year to shetland yet when we read the report we find that the type of creative industries that are worth 25 million have damn all to do with mareel.

this is missleading brian and you should of been aware of that if not then myself and eric have just enlightened you.

so I will ask you again have you read the report and do you accept that most of the figures in the report have damn all to do with what I and many others refer to as the arty farty brigade, and as such the quote you used was misleading

But it is difficult to have any meaningful dialogue with you bobdahog since you disparagingly refer to 'arty farty types' in your posts instead of defining what disciplines or industries you're talking about

Just to be clear, as I also often use the term arty-farty, please note I do not do so disparagingly. I'm all for lots of arty-farty activities. I, like many, use the term because it seems to neatly encompass creative activities which are purely aesthetic and recreational. Nice for society to have, but certainly not in the "essential for survival" category.

I take great exception to your accusations that I am trying to mislead people, so let's get some facts straight here bobdahog

You were posting about the 'arty farty brigade', which you have still not defined, arts funding and how wealthy musicians should pay for the 'arty farty stuff'. I pointed out that the Creative Industries create considerable wealth for the economy both locally and nationally and backed that up with verifiable figures. You have so far been unable to provide any figures to the contrary.

At no point did I claim that Mareel comprises any of the £25 million from the EKOS report. How can it? It isn't even finished.

The primary sectors of the Creative Industries which stand to benefit from Mareel include music (live and recorded), film (screenings and film production), new media (such as web content generation and broadcast) and advertising, together with the associated education activities. These have long been identified as potential growth sectors in Shetland.

If you would, as I have previously requested, define what you mean by 'arty farty brigade' and/or the artistic disciplines and industries to which you refer then we may be able to get somewhere.

Thats hilarious :lol: , movies for dogs what next !

Ive never seen my dug so upset. Hes lying on da floor howling with his paws over his eyes wondering why I didnna tak him tae da pictures. Ive hed tae promise extra milkbones and walkies just tae try and console him>

oh im sorry to hear that i know how you can cheer him up , apparently there is two door doggie jobs up for grabs at mareel, they are well paid and get free entry to all the shows , that along with free pedigree chum and dog biscuits , oh and not forget a special doggie pension !

Tell him to get in there :lol:

as much as I needed to to realise it was self promoting sprootle from the arty farty brigade

The creative industries and Screenplay do promote themselves, yes. And in turn Shetland and the film/ screen industries in Shetland are promoted. That the dog story was picked up is more a reflection of the media (it was a quirky story) than Screenplay, but independently and on the back of that story the festival in general was covered widely. It was not a ‘non event’ as described in the Shetland News letter.

There was coverage by Mark Kermode’s on the BBC and in The Observer, not just about the dogs, and more coverage across the UK and globally online. Why is promotion of film/ the screen industries in Shetland a bad thing?

Bryan has taken the time to carefully answer some of your questions. In addition: The ‘Arty-farty brigade’, specifically in terms of film/ screen industries, are local businesses, independent Shetland film-makers and young people.

There is a large group of young local film makers who make films for Screenplay each year. The first Screenplay was four years ago, many of them were still at school. Many of them are now in full-time education related to film. Many of them would like to come back to Shetland or to have stayed here to train. The education, employment and industry support that Mareel has been designed to provide will make that a realistic option.

There are viable businesses in Shetland based on film and others directly providing support services. They make films for the private and public sector and provide production co-ordination for visiting film crews. Just last year that included the BBC, Arte and crews from several European countries working on a range of projects.

There were films and broadcast TV documentaries about Thomas Fraser, The Folk Festival, Fiddler’s Bid and the work of the Coastguard and of course, Simon King to give some examples. They were supported by local people, organisations and businesses in doing so. All show Shetland in different light and there are more coming. The feature film due to be shot in Fetlar next year is another example.

Promote Shetland identifies the Creative Industries as a growth sector. Promotion of Shetland both as a location for film and a place that people have the skills to make their own films and support visiting film crews is a good thing for the future.

Previously we did not have this opportunity but new technologies make this possible. The infrastructure and facilities provided by Mareel will see this grow. The new super-fast fibre optic cable makes it possible for local and visiting crews to send footage across the world very quickly.

In short, promotion of film and the screen industries in Shetland is a serious activity and the ‘arty farty’ brigade are working their butts of to make it a viable industry for the 21st century providing jobs and economic benefit, in spite of resistance.

I do think that there is a lot of misunderstanding about the creative sector and that there is a responsibility on the sector to try and explain what it does and what the benefits can be. That is why people take the time to write careful replies on this thread despite being dismissed as the ‘arty farty brigade’.