Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

belmont has a catchment area with 200,000 folk in it mareel will have a catchment area with about 15,000, we can forget about a the folk living on the isles as buses ferry's etc no damned use for going to the pictures in LK, so if you think putting on a film for 1.5 folk is money well spent then please set it up so your wages are paid straight into SA bank account

In some ways you can't really compare the belmont and mareel. In Shetland Mareel will have no competitors so will have all of the market share for those wanting to see films on the big screen. The belmont is competing with 3 other much larger cinemas so the belmont survives by appealing to a niche in the market the "arty farty" brigade as you would put it and it does very well appealing to this market. Mareel will have the advantage of showing the "arty farty" films and the Hollywood stuff so keeping the paying public a little happier (Belmont does the same thing). If someone in the outer lying areas wants to see a film they're more likely to go to Mareel to see it than decide to make a special trip to the mainland so I don't agree anyone outside the central mainland will bother, those who like films most definitely will as Burt Lancaster said "if you build it they will come".

As well as screenings of visiting and local films Screenplay also organised well-attended workshops with established film-makers and representatives of Creative Scotland, the Scottish Documentary Institute and the screen and broadcast industries development manager at HIE. They were here looking at how to support local film-makers, digital media production companies and how to promote Shetland globally as a film location.

They are really enthusiastic about what Shetland is doing in terms of film/ screen industries and the huge potential (through the support facilities at Mareel) for more films and TV projects to be made here by local and worldwide crews. Many of the young film-makers attended the workshops and received advice and encouragement. The visitors were really impressed by them.

As an older, independent film-maker/ digital media professional the advice I received was invaluable. As I develop my own work I can in turn provide work for these younger film-makers (they are really talented) and draw on services from other local businesses. There is a point to all of this!

To all the people who are so against mareel i have a question for you .

When Mareel is open and one of your favourite bands , artists or whatever is coming to play there , youve been waiting to see them for years , so what will you do ? Go see them have a good nite and enjoy yourself or will you sit at home and not bother going ? Just because you feel it was a mistake building Mareel ?

Guest Anonymous
so what will you do ? Go see them have a good nite and enjoy yourself or will you sit at home and not bother going ? Just because you feel it was a mistake building Mareel ?

try and get a ticket and be disapointed by lack of availabilty then do what I've always done go and see them elsewhere, but I doubt any band that I have even the slightest interest in will ever grace the stage at mareel so its a moot point really

^Drat! I was going to get a hold of my favourite ever band,as I know they regularly tour small european venues, see if they fancy doing a gig here, and ,erm,well.... Swell?

But, ok, I see that common sense would indeed put a well timed break on any of these wild and crazy shenanigans,thanks to your erudite and well put together collection of facts illustrating said common sense. Thjanks for saving me the time and bother, I shall get back to carving traditional shetland sheephorn whistles for sale from my pony cart.Cheers! :wink:

The more i see Mareel taking shape i can't help but think it looks more like a prison. I feel sorry for the residents who have had their views of the north harbour blocked by this building.

Yes, they've had their view of the sea obscured but I think they're lucky to have a cinema right on theie doorsteps! Lets not forget what the area looked like oin the 80s and 90s, it had decrepit old fish factories and a construction yard. Once the building nears completion it will look nothing like a prison.

I cant wait for it to open!

The more i see Mareel taking shape i can't help but think it looks more like a prison. I feel sorry for the residents who have had their views of the north harbour blocked by this building.

It is truly awful and I too feel sorry for the folks whose view has been obliterated and replaced with a tin clad bomb shelter:(

As to the appearance of the building, even if they'd used some coloured sheeting that wouldn't have look quite as bad as the lifeless "silver" stuff.

I don't intend to get invagled in this Mareel discussion but I am yet to find anybody in my circle of life who supports it.

The "arty-farty brigade" is to many people the Shetland Arts Trust itself and many loathe them and what they are doing in/to Shetland.

^^ There may well be more than a little historical prejudice at play. There are still a significant number of folk alive today, who were brought up with it hammered in to them that any kind of "play" by adults was not an "honourable" way to spend their time. One should spend ones time productively in providing food, shelter and living comforts, partying was relegated to weddings only.

The local fiddler in most districts, while respected for his playing talent, was generally otherwise considered a fool, as there was minimal profit in his occupation, which was usually borne out by most of them being on their uppers for the most of their lives.

Yes, before anyone has me shot, I know both attitudes and lifestyles have moved on a great deal in the last 40-50 years since such ways were the norm, in rural Shetland at least. Trouble is, there's still many in the later 40+'s age bracket who lived the attitude and lifestyle in their formative years, and try as they might to keep up with the times, for some at least, the old attitude is always going to be their default setting.

Sadly we seem to still be at an age where the term "arty farty" is used to widely cover those with any aspect of talent in any art form, by those who have no talent other than how to use the tv remote or find something to whine about, usually on a subject which they have no real hope of ever being involved in otherwise.

Personally.. I can't wait for Mareel to be open, the garrison has been long outgrown by its Shetland audience, concerts during the summer are almost unbearable as the air con just cannot keep the building from becoming hot enough to be very uncomfortable.

Only downside to Mareel that I can see, is that when im out for fiddle frenzy next year, when your going home in the wee sma hours after a late night session, its a fair walk fae the Isleburgh hostel.

The "arty-farty brigade" is to many people the Shetland Arts Trust itself and many loathe them and what they are doing in/to Shetland.

Can you expand on this? What is it that they are doing that so many loathe?

How about turning good old fashioned entertainment into a art form and putting it on (or maybe in) a very expensive gold plated plinth.

In my 40 years in Shetland, probably the best two nights entertainment I can remember was Pete Stack and the Raeburns in the Clickimin - probably their 1st or 2nd time, musically maybe 4 out of 10, entertainment was 20 out of 10. The other decent night was the open air night at the Marts about 8 years ago, loads of decent local bands and many beer tents

The Tall Ships in 99 was pretty good as well.

Anther definition of the 'arty farty' brigade could be defined by the last time I bothered with the Folk Festival at the Clickimin - where we were constantly told to shush every time we tried to show our appreciation or even talked too loudly :roll:

I get the feeling that if you like your entertainment to be a bit of a spree then maybe Mareel won't be for you. However, if you're the sort that likes to listen to a South American trio playing traditional pipe music through a dead Wombat while sipping a glass of Chateauneaf de pape then maybe Mareel is the place for you :wink:

I'm sure Mareel will eventually find it's way in the same way that Baroc eventually found it's natural place..

1) Dress code and entrance fee

2) No dress code but entrance fee

3) No dress code and no entrance fee

4) Anybody at all now welcome

5) Chinese retaurant...