Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I get the feeling that if you like your entertainment to be a bit of a spree then maybe Mareel won't be for you. However, if you're the sort that likes to listen to a South American trio playing traditional pipe music through a dead Wombat while sipping a glass of Chateauneaf de pape then maybe Mareel is the place for you :wink:

You want the Gigha music festival !! late session on the peerie pier, 40 + musicians from at least 15 different countrys, limited english spoken by most, but by heck did we have 3 nights of the most awesome sessions.

The local fiddler in most districts, while respected for his playing talent, was generally otherwise considered a fool, as there was minimal profit in his occupation, which was usually borne out by most of them being on their uppers for the most of their lives.

Very good post GR. I think you've hit the nail on the head there. There is unquestionably a lack of understanding in a lot of cases as to both the enjoyment and business natures of "the arts".

I also think that, in shetland, its the "arts" term that throws a lot of people. I'm proud to say I've enjoyed enthusiastic crowds singing and dancing along to me when I'm bouncing around the stage, at which time I am as far removed the generic view of "artiste" as you could get, and whilst I equally would never describe myself as such, if writing "properly" about it, thats the word that would be used.

Contrary to the post above - I believe if you like your entertainment to be a spree, Mareel will be the place to be. (can I copyright that? :lol: )

I get the feeling that if you like your entertainment to be a bit of a spree then maybe Mareel won't be for you. However, if you're the sort that likes to listen to a South American trio playing traditional pipe music through a dead Wombat while sipping a glass of Chateauneaf de pape then maybe Mareel is the place for you :wink:

This is kinda what I've been trying to get at (and probaby not described quite so well) from very early on. I just don't see Mareel, either in practical terms, or in reputation terms, being able to successfully go from a beer (both fresh and regurgitated) and blood splattered battered mosh pit or a heaving mass of sweaty human skin from eardrum-splitting electronic dance tunes one night, to a sedate piano recital or something similar the next.

IMHO, in trying to be everything to everybody, it runs the risk of doing none of it particularly well, and becoming a venue for the niches it does best rather than for all.

Back in the last days of The Planets, given the reputation the place had, had they put on a choir singing hymns some night, I'd argue at least 50% of their potential audience would have given it a miss, on the grounds of the reputation of the establishment alone.

If Mareel can be a successful mosh pit, or electronic dance music venue, which would arguably the modern day equivalent of The Planets, I see the reputation that goes with such an establishment discouraging those who enjoy more sedate entertainment, and vice versa.

[edit]I very much hope I'm proved wrong on the above, as the performance venue bit of Mareel at least I'm all for, and will whenever possible attend whenever someone is playing my kinda music. I personally don't care what reputation an establishment has, nor what it was used for on some other night, but having seen how it affects attitudes across the board, I can't but help wonder if it isn't Mareel's Achilles heel.[/edit]

How about turning good old fashioned entertainment into a art form and putting it on (or maybe in) a very expensive gold plated plinth.

{...}

Anther definition of the 'arty farty' brigade could be defined by the last time I bothered with the Folk Festival at the Clickimin - where we were constantly told to shush every time we tried to show our appreciation or even talked too loudly :roll:

Hmm, it's funny how different peoples pre-conceptions create different ideas of what goes on around here.

I like a good spree too, but some of the things that I've stumbled upon in Shetland in recent years have boggled the mind. A life changing event some years ago for me was when guitarist Juan Martin (at the time ranked top 3 guitarists in the world by guitar magazine) was taken up by Davy Gardner(then Shetland Arts) to play in the Sound Hall for a fraction of what you'd pay to see him on the mainland. He plays flamenco style and I had little more than a passing interest in it, but couldn't believe that it was him that was coming here so I went along for an inexpensive nosy. Until he stepped onto the stage I still couldn't believe it would be him as there were a few empty seats still available. Now, far from the truffle coiffing elitism that some attribute to SA, this was the exact opposite - world class act -roughing it in the Sound Hall for a tenner. Incredible. It was one of the best gigs I've ever attended (and that includes The Damned's 3rd farewell tour at the Barrowlands and ACDC at the SECC, both of which were more than twice the price :wink: )

As I understand it, Mareel will be open to all types of gig, from Jeff Ampleford's ska/indie bands to the Scottish Chamber Orchestra to happy hardcore discos . Yes, there is a risk in such a diverse range perhaps, but bear in mind the current venue for larger events is a sports centre, the North Star has been panned, and stringent regulations are gradually eating away at the superb festivals of old (bring back the Pictish Festival!)

Mention of the Folk Festival here in context of the arty-farty brigade is a bit of a combo, as the FF isn't a SA event, it is run entirely by volunteers, with a little public funding thrown in, and yep, the shushing is quite severe, but it seems to be a case of horses for courses. I've seen at least two bands in Shetland in recent years who have actually had to ask the audience to loosen up a bit and enjoy themselves more, (which they then did in one case- SA event and didn't in the other- FF event). The FF sells out most gigs before the tickets even go on sale and yet nationally significant rock bands (eg.Gun) can play to empty venues, all in the same isles where aabody dancing in the living room to an accordionist too drunk to stand is equally as good a night out can be had anywhere - bizarre!

It's a funny old musical world roond here, and all the better for it. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

cant say i disagree with anything you wrote njugle but as ihave said it pisses me off the SA expect the rest of us to pay for their baby, i gues i would really liken Peerie brian and his lot to the single mother 3 kids 3 dads no job and constantly with their hand out, ie we all like to have a ride except some of us realise the ride has to be paid for at some point.

Only downside to Mareel that I can see, is that when im out for fiddle frenzy next year, when your going home in the wee sma hours after a late night session, its a fair walk fae the Isleburgh hostel.

What?!!!

Broon's Rodd ta Islesburgh, a fair walk?

Young fokk nooadays dunna ken whit feet is for ...

<\grump>

:lol:

The "arty-farty brigade" is to many people the Shetland Arts Trust itself and many loathe them and what they are doing in/to Shetland.

Can you expand on this? What is it that they are doing that so many loathe?

Two main examples are Screenplay and Wordplay. The problem as I detect it is that SA are importing/creating culture which many Shetlanders don't recognise or feel comfortable with. I suppose it could be desribed as Scottish and English "cheese and wine" blurb. How many Shetlanders open The Shetland Times in the lead-up to Wordplay and Screenplay and see articles outlining names and people that are coming as "star guests" but who leave them thinking "who??".

Showing a film for DOGS during Screenplay was nothing short of an insult to most ordinary Shetlanders. Apparently, it didn't cost any public money but that's not the problem. The problem is that Shetland Arts, or someone within SA, has the mentality that to put on a film for DOGS is a great idea....

Another example was the project that involved shining lights onto the external walls of various buildings last winter. To most people it's at best a stupid idea and at worst just a total waste of time and money. But according to Shetland Arts it's "art".

Shetlanders are not stupid and know skill and creativity when they see it but most of what SA is doing is just the Emperor's Clothes.

An open prison! Magic.

Less of the 'open' and I might get to like it. :twisted:

I think what really hacks off most people I speak to is the pretence of those described here as the 'Arty Farty Brigade' that there is some sort of business aspect to this venture besides the business of subsidies, grants and hand-outs.

Never mind, the delusion will end when the doors open. Not long now til the harsh reality dawns?

I feel very sad when I read comments like the one above..... "dey'll be none o yon Sudern frivolity here. If hit maks fok lightsome de're nae need fur it."

I fear not as sad as you might be if, as I suspect, this venture proves to be wholly unsustainable. I'm all for frivolity - preferably good old-fashioned Shetland frivolity - but you don't have to spend £12 million for that let alone £1 million plus per year to keep the facilitators of frivolity. :x

As a born and bred Shetland of 56 years of age I feel very sad when I read comments like the one above. There seems to be a streak of dour calvinism in the Shetland character that says "dey'll be none o yon Sudern frivolity here. If hit maks fok lightsome de're nae need fur it."

Excellent post. The irony is that it is due to Shetland Arts obviously making a good job of promoting events like these that is making people aware that they exist. People have made, enjoyed, and watched films in Shetland for years. Whats suddenly so offensive about it?

I think what really hacks off most people I speak to is the pretence of those described here as the 'Arty Farty Brigade' that there is some sort of business aspect to this venture besides the business of subsidies, grants and hand-outs.

Well I'm aboot as opposite to "arty farty" as you'll get, and though my enjoyment of film and live music provide a degree of "I want without having to travel south" personal intrest, but far the outweighing factor in my support for Mareel is the financial aspect.

So many people seem to be transfixed on the profit/loss margin of the building itself without looking at all the other obvious direct financial benifits to the likes of community halls, events committees, individual promoters, local businesses (pubs, resteraunts, transport providers, tourism etc) the list goes on. Not to mention the inevitable increased disposable income for the "average family" created by reduced cost in attenting events elsewhere.

But then again, apart from being obvious this has all been covered repeatedly and at depth on this thread already so I guess it's time to stop feeding the trolls and go get a late ten 'o'clocks :D

^ Very true, I pretty much concur on all the above points form Spinner and MuckleJoannie

It may be a little troll food, but one aspect that endures in these, now pointless, comments of derision is that to suggest that Mareel is so far removed from benefit to the community and viability, is to claim to know better than the ERDF, the Lottery fund managers (who have rejected notable projects in Shetland) and the majority of the SIC among other funders, all of whom are apparently incapable of drawing their own reasoned conclusions as to the benefit and viability of such a venture, and have instead been somehow mystified by the evil self-serving applicants, who care for nothing other than the wanton squander of money.

Makes you want to go out and start collecting application forms, if it's all so easy. :P

Well, I won't argue with that......

Something that has occurred to me more and more of late is that our current councillors sometimes opt neither to represent their electorate, by the rationale of deeming their own formulated opinion to be adequate, and are also out of the habit of actually debating anything in the chamber, choosing rather to stick to their guns, regardless of what come out during proceedings.

It's democracy Jim, but not as we know it. :wink:

Oops, totally off topic innit.

Erm, oh yeah, on the news clip I saw about the film for dogs, there were people allowed in too, so it wasn't exclusive as far as I can make out. God forbid anybody found any fun in the idea. Films are a serious business and publicity should be clearly outlined as such, we'll have none of this whimsical economical promotion or innovation around here.

Hmm , still off topic.

Perhaps next year Screenplay could host a film on the outside, seaward wall of Mareel to wind up some more folk, viewable by boat, and fish. A film for fish! Outrageous!

Any suggestions as to the movie? :wink: