Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Only downside to Mareel that I can see, is that when im out for fiddle frenzy next year, when your going home in the wee sma hours after a late night session, its a fair walk fae the Isleburgh hostel.

What?!!!

Broon's Rodd ta Islesburgh, a fair walk?

Young fokk nooadays dunna ken whit feet is for ...

<\grump>

:lol:

Oi less oh the young.... The ole legs feel even a slight incline these days lol.

True, I totally forgot about nipping up that way. Shesh... really must get out more.

The "arty-farty brigade" is to many people the Shetland Arts Trust itself and many loathe them and what they are doing in/to Shetland.

Can you expand on this? What is it that they are doing that so many loathe?

Two main examples are Screenplay and Wordplay. The problem as I detect it is that SA are importing/creating culture which many Shetlanders don't recognise or feel comfortable with. I suppose it could be desribed as Scottish and English "cheese and wine" blurb. How many Shetlanders open The Shetland Times in the lead-up to Wordplay and Screenplay and see articles outlining names and people that are coming as "star guests" but who leave them thinking "who??".

Showing a film for DOGS during Screenplay was nothing short of an insult to most ordinary Shetlanders. Apparently, it didn't cost any public money but that's not the problem. The problem is that Shetland Arts, or someone within SA, has the mentality that to put on a film for DOGS is a great idea....

Another example was the project that involved shining lights onto the external walls of various buildings last winter. To most people it's at best a stupid idea and at worst just a total waste of time and money. But according to Shetland Arts it's "art".

Shetlanders are not stupid and know skill and creativity when they see it but most of what SA is doing is just the Emperor's Clothes.

There were loads of Shetlanders at Word and Screenplay - of all ages - maybe just not 'ordinary' ones??!! Some people think 'who?' and go to find out, others dismiss it as 'arty-farty'. I'd say that's the divide more than Shetland/ non-Shetland. There are non-shetlanders who share your opinions. I'm not a SA employee, but I do think there were things on at word/ screenplay that a wide range of people would have enjoyed, even if they hadn't heard of the people beforehand - what breaks down the barriers? I reckon there are people who won't go to Mareel, even for something they are really into, because they don't want to change their minds. How do you break a stand-off like that??

so what will you do ? Go see them have a good nite and enjoy yourself or will you sit at home and not bother going ? Just because you feel it was a mistake building Mareel ?

try and get a ticket and be disapointed by lack of availabilty then do what I've always done go and see them elsewhere, but I doubt any band that I have even the slightest interest in will ever grace the stage at mareel so its a moot point really

What sort of music bands are you into ?

Im sure it will be catering for many different types of music

So many people seem to be transfixed on the profit/loss margin of the building itself without looking at all the other obvious direct financial benifits to the likes of community halls, events committees, individual promoters, local businesses (pubs, resteraunts, transport providers, tourism etc) the list goes on. Not to mention the inevitable increased disposable income for the "average family" created by reduced cost in attenting events elsewhere. :D

The reason that people are transfixed on the profit/loss of this venture seems obvious. It won't support anything if it dosn't, at best, break even. Like I've said before, The mareel is going ahead and I hope it will be a success. However I still question if it will be able to wash its face in the longer term. The operators will have to work very hard to make this viable in this time of ever increasing costs and reduction of peoples available income. I wish them every success and hope they prove me wrong. I for one will support it, not because I see this as a way of subsidising it, but because I think it will be a venue that will offer a variety of activities that I would want to attend, whether it be a night out at the pictures or attendance at a concert etc.

I would however question Spinner72's view that it will inevtably increase the average families disposable income. In my experience, my disposible income gets less and less each year and I would imagine that there will be many events that I will wish to attend at Mareel, but won't be in a financial position to do so.

So many people seem to be transfixed on the profit/loss margin of the building itself without looking at all the other obvious direct financial benifits to the likes of community halls, events committees, individual promoters, local businesses (pubs, resteraunts, transport providers, tourism etc) the list goes on. Not to mention the inevitable increased disposable income for the "average family" created by reduced cost in attenting events elsewhere. :D

The reason that people are transfixed on the profit/loss of this venture seems obvious. It won't support anything if it dosn't, at best, break even. Like I've said before, The mareel is going ahead and I hope it will be a success. However I still question if it will be able to wash its face in the longer term. The operators will have to work very hard to make this viable in this time of ever increasing costs and reduction of peoples available income. I wish them every success and hope they prove me wrong. I for one will support it, not because I see this as a way of subsidising it, but because I think it will be a venue that will offer a variety of activities that I would want to attend, whether it be a night out at the pictures or attendance at a concert etc.

I would however question Spinner72's view that it will inevtably increase the average families disposable income. In my experience, my disposible income gets less and less each year and I would imagine that there will be many events that I will wish to attend at Mareel, but won't be in a financial position to do so.

Great post! Yes, doubt and question, but support it when there are things you want to go to. Why not? Some people are so fizzing with fury that they are determined to see it fail, whatever the cost. Mareel is an investment in facilities, technical support and education for the creative industries as well as an entertainment venue. And, that investment does need to be accountable. But, to be fair, those benefits need to be recorded and considered alongside the profit/ loss. But, will they be?

Apologies for my sweeping generalisation and rather vague way of putting that point.

Whilst I was thinking of the obvious saving to be made in being able to attend shows, events, films etc here in shetland instead of having to take the family south to see them, of course not everyone may or can do this, even occasionally. In that case Mareel certainly will offer the opportunity of being able to attend events at a fraction of the cost just now.

Two main examples are Screenplay and Wordplay. The problem as I detect it is that SA are importing/creating culture which many Shetlanders don't recognise or feel comfortable with. I suppose it could be desribed as Scottish and English cheese and wine blurb. How many Shetlanders open The Shetland Times in the lead-up to Wordplay and Screenplay and see articles outlining names and people that are coming as star guests but who leave them thinking who??".

This is an example of the phenomenon seen too often in Shetland where attempts are made to create artifical boundaries between 'Shetlanders' and everybody else. Why would a modern-day Shetlander feel uncomfortable with any aspect of the above festivals because of his/her cultural heritage? Just because a particular cultural identity is an important part of your makeup doesn't preclude you from growing through encountering influences associated with other parts of the world (as indeed, Shetlanders have done for generations). The attitude which dictates 'Shetland is Shetland, and Sooth is Sooth, and never the twain shall meet' is not only self-destructive but historically inaccurate.

Sure, let's propagate local culture. We should be careful to complement this via active co-existence with broader cultural influences - an isolationist/preservationist reaction will only result in complete destruction of 'Shetlan' in all its lived forms.

But why should I accept English and Scottish culture when I feel that many aspects of wir own heritage are being neglected and loosing out and when the money given to SA could be spent on that?.

Is it right that wir peerie local heritage museums should be struggling for funding and to stay open when £11 million is being spent on one SA building?.

There's nothing artificial about it. Shetland has a different history and heritage to England and Scotland whether you like it or not!.

My bone of contention is that too much of Shetland's history and heritage is being neglected whilst Shetland Arts continue to import sooth orientated culture. And that he money given each year to SA should be spent on preserving and promoting Shetland's indigineous culture first.

:)

Is it right that wir peerie local heritage museums should be struggling for funding and to stay open when £11 million is being spent on one SA building?.

It's not as straightforward as that though, really. Everybody who applies for capital funding, of the type being spent on Mareel, has an equal chance of success. It would be hard to substantiate the suggestion that there is a situation of robbing Peter to pay Paul with the capital funding to build a venue for all of Shetland's musical culture (including Peerie Willies jazz and Tammy Anderson's fiddles) and a fit for purpose cinema for da auld and young alike tae watch Jenny Gilbertson films, if they so wish. Heritage is something people generate themselves and Mareel is there for the making and reliving of it. :wink:

Good to see a lot of optimism with regard mareel being a roaring success.

But the bottom line is if it canna generate enough revenue to pay for itself, it will be shut doon.

If schools and inter-island transportation is havin ta be cut, nae body is going tae stand for a picture hoose being propped up.

Sorry tae burst one's balloons but dat is dat.

And if it is a roaring success, I would imagine it will be at the detriment of all the other local night spots, posers, flints, wheelbar, legion etc.

I think you can safely say this as the "party crowd" section of society who are out there weekend after weekend are the ones with the surplus income who will be required to pay to keep the beast fed.

Most other people will only go once in a blue moon.

But why should I accept English and Scottish culture when I feel that many aspects of wir own heritage are being neglected and loosing out and when the money given to SA could be spent on that?....

You seem to be trying to draw a defining line between what you believe is "Shetland's indigenous culture" and that of "English and Scottish culture", or culture(s) from further afield - such pigeon holing carries the risk of strangling and stagnating the very thing you wish to protect, and 'ring fencing' our culture without letting it evolve as it has until now, through cross pollination with other cultures.

Let's not forget how the traditions we are proud of developed over the years. Take for example Fair Isle knitting. The same, or similar, techniques are found in Baltic countries such as Estonia, Sweden and the coastal communities of Denmark, as well as Faroe, Iceland and Norway.

Or our unique fiddle music. It shares many stylistic and harmonic traits, has been influenced by, and has influenced, Scandinavian, Scottish and Irish styles amongst others. More recently, the jazz influenced accompaniment style has been attributed to Peerie Willie and and his love of American jazz.

So, should we draw a line under what is now 'tradition' and leave it there, or should it evolve as it always has - through absorbing and synthesizing other cultures, and embracing cross fertilisation; and through encouraging others to come here to experience our culture whilst promoting our culture to the outside world?

....My bone of contention is that too much of Shetland's history and heritage is being neglected whilst Shetland Arts continue to import sooth orientated culture. And that he money given each year to SA should be spent on preserving and promoting Shetland's indigineous culture first.

There's nothing in SA's trust deed that says it's a heritage organisation, but here's two quick examples of support for, what could be considered, indigenous artforms.

Fiddle Frenzy (or more accurately, the local tutors employed at FF) teaches Shetland's unique fiddle style to visitors from throughout the world, and presents many of the best Shetland fiddlers to local and visiting audiences each year. The event creates considerable net profit to the islands from the number of visitors it attracts.

Or back to textiles and crafts. Shetland arts has awarded £37,000 over the last three years to Shetland based craft makers through the "Working Up" scheme, together with supporting them through regular workshops in subjects including knitting, basket making and woodworking.

How about inviting people to pay at the Mareel door to go in and see nothing. If they were mug enough to see Damien Hirst's sheep in formaldehyde in the name of art? Then there is bound to be

Some mugs who will look at a empty stage and see something in it.

Or better still

I suggest a stuffed Shetland Councillor surrounded by heaps of closed schools. And loads of money wasted on silly pet projects. Turning money into large debits

The Plan of the Bressay Bridge perhaps.

On how to chose Moles to make Tunnels to the outer Isles

Piles of Legal Bills for silly court cases.

The Ticket Stubs for the wasted trip to foreign shores> On Nuclear Weapons the some of them went to?

Investment in Foreign Shipping Lines and Knitwear Loans the are righting off.

Employing Buffoons with so little talent they could get on the X-factor, to run the council for a few weeks.

All in the name of art of course

The idea that the council will have paid only once to support the Mareel is the same, as there only paying, once to the golf club. Hey that’s an Idea could the golf club not use the building during winter months for indoor golf then maybe the council will get some of that money back to