Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I have no doubt Mareel will become a success in the eyes of a minority, and good luck to the venture.

I don't support it, but I'm not against it. Shetland needs a decent venue.

However, if I was asked to lend money to a Shetland venture, with repayment when it was in profit, I think my money would be better targeted at Forvik Island.

:wink:

Here's a new music school in Faroe. I ken it's no quite the same as Mareel but it's a far bonnier peerie place.

Maybe an overall lesson for Shetland......

http://www.dimma.fo/index.asp?t=fa&i=15DB1C0C-223E-403B-93A8-3FA5678C5088

That would be no use for the S.I.C. Kavi Ugl it isnt elaborate enough for them...God knows how any body can think Mareel can pay its way they would need to be having gigs every other week and filling the place every time.. :roll:

Whit's da udal law spin on dis wan, Hog?

maybe de and comrade sheridan could form a commitee to investigate, Im sure we could get de an ajoining room at Bar L, he is going to need someone to suck it for him for the next few years and hookers are pretty scant on the ground in there

:oops: Mercy me !

It is these types of post which put a lot of folk off getting involved in an "adult" debate. It seems that if you don't agree with somefolks opinion then they have a go and make personal attacks rather than debate the issue.

Plus do we need to use they type of content that I would expect to see in the likes of the Sun, a rag I wouldn't light the fire with!!

Come on guys lets have adult debates, which will hopefully encourage more to get involved !!

Well back on Topic I walked past Mareel this morning and there are signs of parts of the exterior nearing completion. Hope it opens on time.

How much I spend there depends on what they put on to attract me and how much they charge. In my opinion they do not need and cannot expect to fill the place every morning, afternoon and evening with people paying top prices for big name gigs and blockbuster movies but they can hope to make a profit on every session they are open. Just takes good planning.

Guest Anonymous

wages have to be paid all the time not just when they can put something on to fill the place.

But I see Gwilym and Brian have decided to shut up rather than put up.

If it was me that had been telling folks what a sure fire thing it was and I was making the kind of money they are from the public purse I would put some of that money forward as a loan, if for no other reason than at the end of the day I could say well I was wrong but at least I believed what I was saying at the time.

(*** Mod - snippety for decency ***)

wages have to be paid all the time not just when they can put something on to fill the place.

But I see Gwilym and Brian have decided to shut up rather than put up.

If it was me that had been telling folks what a sure fire thing it was and I was making the kind of money they are from the public purse I would put some of that money forward as a loan, if for no other reason than at the end of the day I could say well I was wrong but at least I believed what I was saying at the time.

Your new 'Autograph' that quotes GBS, probably gives some explanation for some of the the rubbish you have been posting under your new pen-name. :roll:

If it was me that had been telling folks what a sure fire thing it was and I was making the kind of money they are from the public purse I would put some of that money forward as a loan

I think that I suggested something similar ("if those that want Mareel were willing to pay towards it"...)at the start of this thread.

As things stand, I do not and will never support it..

I have to admit that since the idea of supporters possibly making a donation was recently voiced again, the supporters have been extremely quiet.

I find this very worrying for the future of Mareel. If it's really as good as they say then I would have thought the supporters would at least say something like, "Yes I would but I don't have the cash just now".

For these supporters to be completely quiet gives an impression of non-confidence in the project.

With only a few months until it opens, it's a shame to see that it's failing to find support from its most ardent fans.

Guest Anonymous

Yes it is interesting just how vocal some folks are when shouting about how others folks money should be spent and how quiet they are when someone sugests they spend just a little of there own.

come gwilym and brian and any others at SA who have preached to us how much this place is going to do for us, put up some of your own cash its not like you are never going to see it again as you will get it back when the place is in profit :lol: and if the 2 of you put up a couple of grand each (not much from your salary that we are paying) the rest of the suporters from facebook will only have to come up with 50 quid each.

come on now you were very voiceferous when campaigning for the place how about a whip round now that you are finding out about the harsh realitys of business.