Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Ah, come on folk. You need to at least aspire to something a few rungs higher up the ladder for the opening. Cat Stevens and Sigur Rós are all fine and well, but neither exactly dwell in the higher echelons of the music industry.

Performers of arguably equal stature, and of possibly high stature, have performed in Shetland in the past. If this place is going to work, at least get it kicked off from a high point, it may well be the highest point it ever achieves.

There must be someone of some stature, who isn't a long time ago has-been or a never quite made it yet, who's touring the UK round that time and could be persuaded. That £100,000 or however much the CT has promised to write off for the first year could go a long way towards "helping". :wink:

Mareel being a music venue and cinema for Shetland why not have the opening concerts (one traditional music and one for modern stuff) featuring musicians from Shetland and chosen by a poll either on-line or in the Shetland Times. Then the first weekend could have some sort of big name from South.

The cinema could do the same........a formal opening with Shetland films (Edge of the World) followed by whatever came top in another poll.

Has anyone else heard that Yusaf (formerly Cat Stevens) has been booked for the Mareel opening concert as part of his first UK tour in 30+ years? Probably rubbish I suppose. :shock:

If not who is it laekly to be? Some fiddly stuff no doubt. :cry:

He was in Dublin last year, not much to write home about I'm afraid.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/live_reviews/article6919074.ece

Mareel being a music venue and cinema for Shetland why not have the opening concerts (one traditional music and one for modern stuff) featuring musicians from Shetland and chosen by a poll either on-line or in the Shetland Times. Then the first weekend could have some sort of big name from South.

The cinema could do the same........a formal opening with Shetland films (Edge of the World) followed by whatever came top in another poll.

Excellent idea - completely agree.

It's got to be Iron Maiden.

I happen to know Dennis Stratton who was in the original Iron Maiden line up. Now despite touring extensively, he is willing to come up here. I contacted a certain organisation (as can be confirmed by a certain moderator on here) who very kindly forwarded the details to promoters up here. It would appear they are not interested.

Dennis toured this year in South Africa doing an Iron Maiden set but also tours doing "easier listening" stuff utilising his particular style of "harmony guitars" doing cover versions such as Tears for Fears, Bill Withers, Billy Idol, Gary Moore, etc. Clips are available on youtube.

Perhaps I should hire the Mareel at my own cost and organise the blooming thing myself - how many are interested though and how much would you be prepared to pay for a ticket? Perish the thought - I never thought when moving up here from the smoke I'd end up organising a gig!!

The fact it is opening at all against such miserable and negative objections shows that some folk have vision for the future of other folk and have the fortitude to push it through, the objectors however seem only to have the nads of midget mice, because of their lack of fortitude.

Good Job to all those visionary types