Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

From Shetland News today:

Mr Gibbons said he was confident that Mareel would be open for business by March next year, although the arts agency has not yet been given a definite handover date for the £12.2 million building, which is still under construction

He said that due to “difficulties†with the glazing and timber contractors the handover date is not likely to be “in the later part of the year†and added that Shetland Arts was at present not confirming any booking before March 2012.

“We don’t really know, but at the moment we are working on the basis of March 2012,†he said.

:!: :!: :!: :!:

From Shetland News today:

Mr Gibbons said he was confident that Mareel would be open for business by March next year,....

A year late basically. I can see DITT already rueing ever touching the contract.

Herr Here Ghostrider.

Just end another pub and the council will end up paying the up keep

There's a report from last night's Mareel stakeholders meeting published on the Shetland Times website - http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/06/16/further-delays-mean-mareel-will-not-be-taking-bookings-until-march-next-year

Maybe a video to show us all the progress would be good reading this does not really paint a picture of the work complete to-date.

I have had a look around after getting the safety dvd and dressed like bob the builder. Its amazing the amount of cables,pipes,wooden beams and great big ceilings. I wont go into detail but i was grateful to be given an insight to such a epic building.

Its a shame the Mareel has suffered delays, expensive and not the most graceful building. In the end I cant wait to take the grand children to a movie in nice cinema like they see on the mainland.

Oh I see Mr D is trying in vain to make more noise, stick to the stone walls sir.

iam very keen to see if this "lifebelt" will manage to float mareel, clickimin, other centres, ferrys.

or shall we just put it in the white elephant pen with the rest!

but really regadless of whether its gonna make any money or not surly they could have made the design a bit more pleasing!! id rather look at the malakoff (at least there is some history with this building)

would have thought they might have continued the museam theme as mareel is ment to be a shetland music centre (promoting local music etc is the main aim!!!) this must have something in common with the musem.

but alas no one will be accountable as per usal!

id rather look at the malakoff

I think the old Malakoff building is splendid, it is one of my favourite Lerwick buildings. The structure itself is actually quite odd. I'm surprised that it isn't listed yet.

Now, now people, lets try and be positive about this. Mareel, yes it looks diabolical I will admit, but so does the Sydney Opera House to a large number of people....But, I digress, Mareel at least makes the black and blue gutters huts they planted all over the North Ness, along with yun queer lookin glessy roofed thing with the roof bent down over the waa heads like someone had used too long sheets, all look like not so bad and half respectable buildings after all. Kinda in much the same way as the terribleness of the Shetland Hotel stops you noticing just what a diabolical thing it was they built across the road at the Ro-Ro as a passenger terminal etc. :wink:

Now, now people, lets try and be positive about this. Mareel, yes it looks diabolical I will admit, but so does the Sydney Opera House to a large number of people....quote]

Yes Ghost that may be the case but no one can deny that the sydney opera house has style , this lump o crap looks like a grain silo thats been hit by a twister !!! And nae doubt someone will win an award for it...just to add insult to injury !

:twisted: :lol:

Now, now people, lets try and be positive about this. Mareel, yes it looks diabolical I will admit, but so does the Sydney Opera House to a large number of people....

Yes Ghost that may be the case but no one can deny that the sydney opera house has style , this lump o crap looks like a grain silo thats been hit by a twister !!!

This, I cannot argue against. :lol:

And nae doubt someone will win an award for it...just to add insult to injury ! :twisted: :lol:

Well, I wouldn't argue an award wasn't appropriate.....for the DITT boys being able to make such a effort actually stand upright in the first place, that is. :wink: