Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

http://www.shetlandtimes.co.uk/2011/09/15/mareel-delays-bring-extra-costs-but-budget-will-not-be-breached

'The building itself is still not fully wind and watertight and there is no firm opening date for early next year' :roll:

Not wind or watertight - good thing we're not headed into the wet and windy season yet...

Before they get too far with the interior, lets go the whole hog and install a brewery and see if anyone can organise a piss up :wink:

No mention of the roof sagging or the fact the roof has been so poorly designed that there are real concerns over its ability to keep out the rain or even sea water that will be hitting it! :shock:
If that is true, and note the "if" then I presume the Arts Trust will be able to claim any costs to make it right from the indemnity insurance of the architects right up to complete demolition and starting again. Maybe even consequential loss for not having a venue as well.

No mention of the roof sagging or the fact the roof has been so poorly designed that there are real concerns over its ability to keep out the rain or even sea water that will be hitting it! :shock:

[Citation needed]

???

Listen, I don't work on-site at Mareel but I'm sure there is someone on here that could confirm what I've written. Is it false to say that the contractors are having to install extra struts to defend against the problem I mentioned above?

Is it false to say that the contractors are having to install extra struts to defend against the problem I mentioned above?

It's the first I've heard is all I'm saying, and I wonder what your source for this is. Rumours are rife, so it would be better if you can back up your statement somehow. I.e. which reliable source did you get this from?

I don't know why. After all, it is a modern art/LEARNING facility.

It should help in stemming the flow of Shetland talent south and in turn bring talented folk to teach them. It will also offer more to learn with the modern equipment used today.

The thing is, folk do not have the ability to live the dream, nostalgia.

What did they say to your views at the working group?

How would you have done it?

If only it did resemble that picture.

It does :? I've seen it :shock:

What, all finished and open for business?.

My heart sinks because like the rest of the silent majority I feel that what Shetland Arts promotes and imports has absolutely no relevance to Shetland.

Just because I/we don't like what Shetland Arts is doing doesn't mean we're backward or have no appreciation of such things as classical music etc - it just means that we hate the "culture" that Shetland Arts is trying to foist on us.

They're trying to be big fish in a little pond and it's embarrassing.

So, they should not try to forward themselves?

I do not know why you think Shetland Arts are confined to the few inhabited islands. There are folk all over the world who appreciate the "art".

The arts are a varied topic.

My art a few years ago when I was at school was stage and hall lighting.

I worked for a film facilities house in west London for years working with film lighting and lighting FX. To do that, I had to learn the basics, I needed to have electrical and mechanical training, my qualifications included a C&G in electrical and mechanical engineering and electronics.

My other art was playing the trumpet, though I have now retired. I played classical and jazz. I donated my trumpet to Shetland Arts to give to someone who may need an instrument to offset the charges.

Another art I do now is in the media of radio, it has boosted my self confidence and I have learned another skill. I am now in my third series of my show. this has also got me interested in production.

I fancy moving back into the lighting industry again and work with some light art, though I am also tempted with noise art.

Shetland has far more folk learning the arts than anywhere I know. Far more talented folk are able to show off their art. Oh, another art I was and still do is photography, I have pictures hanging on a few Shetland walls.

Art is all around us, you surly cannot hope that the future of Shetland Arts rely on a few styles, although fantastic in themselves.

Young folk need far more stimulation, especially if ther is a result, and a result can be obtained quite quickly and then nurtured.

If a child shows an interest in something that will enhance that child, then allow the child to try.

I believe the Mareel will be involved in hosting college courses the Shetland College cannot host right now. That just enhances the learning opportunity and that is a good thing, yes? It also means more adults can be involved and get trained to enhance their life.

If someone is willing to put all this work into enhancing folks lives, why do you sound so disappointed. It is not like you could do anything on your own, nor me.

Let it run and support it. You will be supporting the community.