Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

To answer your question, who says you have to be doing anything?. What I'd like you to stop doing is importing the nonsense culture that comes from Screenplay and Wordplay for a start!.

I don't want to see Shetland's money wasted on a small group of people(usually incomers) talking about films or books that are of more relevance to a book/film club in middle England. The amount of coverage they both got in the Shetland Times was terrible and I thought to myself "is this really the Shetland I now live in?".

I'm not against the arts per se but I feel far too much is spent on it, and in the wrong way(as mentioned in my first paragraph) in Shetland.

For the record, I also feel that too much £ is spent on sport.

I've been over this before so I'm not going to labour it too much but it saddens me that the likes of the "new" Scallaway Museum had to beg, borrow and steal to get the project done. I'd also like to see a small cultural museum dedicated to preserving and promoting our norse history/heritage.

Granted, those could be looked on as history projects but what irks me is the SA will spend thousands of £ on screenplay/wordplay and bringing some obscure(to most Shetlanders)english or scottish author/film buff to Shetland.

There is a place for the arts but I'm not conviced that SA are doing it in the right way and it's too late at night for me to think any deeper and give a detailed replyfor now.

Shetland Arts could not have done this on their own, the huge injection of cash is a credit to all those involved and to the benefit of the community.

A single person may instigate something.

There is very little you can do without involving others. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can work that out.

I will get you a set of Shetland Trees, yours seem to be wearing out.

There is very little you can do without involving others.

That may be true for yourself, but I would say it is generally not so.

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can work that out.

So you believe I am without intelligence? Interesting.

I will get you a set of Shetland Trees, yours seem to be wearing out.

Translation?

Ok, Monday morning and a little more awake compared to last night and I have to hold my hands up and say that in my haste I thought that photo was one of the artist's impressions :oops: :oops:

Fair play to you Kavi. Other notable Shetlink posters would do well to follow your example and hold their hands up when shown to be wrong, rather than post reams of obfuscation once challenged.

What I'd like you to stop doing is importing the nonsense culture that comes from Screenplay and Wordplay for a start!.

I don't want to see Shetland's money wasted on a small group of people(usually incomers) talking about films or books that are of more relevance to a book/film club in middle England. The amount of coverage they both got in the Shetland Times was terrible and I thought to myself "is this really the Shetland I now live in?".

I'm a shetlander born and bred, and thoroughly enjoyed this years screenplay/wordplay festival.

'Nonsense culture?' And more relevant to middle England? Interesting. I attended two workshops by different authors, both Scotland based. One lives on a small Hebridean Island. I went to a comedy show starring Glaswegians. I went to a talk by acclaimed broadcasted James Naughtie. Born and brought up in Aberdeenshire.

I'm really not sure where you are getting your information from, but I found this years events highly relevant, highly interesting and very inspiring, and well done to Shetland Arts for getting such a great mix. There really was something for everyone. Well, with maybe one exception...

What I'd like you to stop doing is importing the nonsense culture that comes from Screenplay and Wordplay for a start!.

Your implication seems to be that real Shetlanders aren't interested (or shouldn't be interested) in anything produced outside Shetland. That's strikes me as a very peculiar attitude, and not one that many people would agree with.

Also, my understanding is that most/a large proportion of the money spent on those festivals comes from Creative Scotland and various sponsors (Bryan might be able to offer some less vague information). Ie, it's not Shetland's money being spent - it's money being brought in to Shetland to provide entertainment to people here who are interested in literature and cinema. Surely a good thing?