Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Ok, Monday morning and a little more awake compared to last night and I have to hold my hands up and say that in my haste I thought that photo was one of the artist's impressions :oops: :oops:

Fair play to you Kavi. Other notable Shetlink posters would do well to follow your example and hold their hands up when shown to be wrong, rather than post reams of obfuscation once challenged.

Thank you, that means a lot to me because I was expecting to come back on here and find myself torn to bits.

@Mallacky, I never said that Shetlanders shouldn't be interested in outside culture etc but my problem is that, from where I'm standing, outside culture(ie Wordplay/Screenplay) is replacing/becoming accepted as Shetland's culture. I'm not glad that money is coming into Shetland if it's erasing Shetland's indiginous identity.

I'm afraid I can't see what relevance an author from a Hebridean island and another one from Aberdeenshire has to Shetland. For me, both of them and Scotland itself have a seperate culture and identity to Shetland but this is what's being foisted on Shetland.

Can anybody tell me what the audience/attendance figures were for each programme that was on during Screenplay and Wordplay?. Not the overall figure but how the figures breakdown for each programme.

^^I would agree, much more freeboard on the Mareel than on the museum, even when high tide washes over the top of the old pier it still looks about five feet to the ground floor. Canna really see that it matters all that much what it looks like as long as the content is good !.

Mareel :-

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/Mareel06.jpg

Museum :-

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb479/beenister/Museum01.jpg

Both pictures taken at same time last Monday.

Guest Anonymous
Canna really see that it matters all that much what it looks like as long as the content is good

Completely agree. Pity they couldn't have built a 'Broonies Taing' style shed for a cinema. Or even the old idea of converting the DITT shed.

Like you say, It's the content that counts.

Is it false to say that the contractors are having to install extra struts to defend against the problem I mentioned above?

It's the first I've heard is all I'm saying, and I wonder what your source for this is. Rumours are rife, so it would be better if you can back up your statement somehow. I.e. which reliable source did you get this from?

A DITT worker on-site but hey, no one here seems to know any better or I'm sure there would have been a reply either way!

For the last 50 years the North Ness was an industrial wasteland cluttered with huge grey characterless warehouses and sheds, millions were spent redeveloping the area into something that looked quite spectacular, especially for visitors arriving through the harbour.

And then.....words fail me.

The whole North Ness waterfront is again dominated by a huge grey characterless warehouse - maybe they could use it to store coal again...mind you, coal needs to be kept dry :wink:

The museum looks great and sits well in the area but Mareel.......I just don't understand why you would position a building designed like that right on the edge of a pier with no shelter from.......northerly winds??

Why could they not have built it up at the marts out of the way it's a complete eyesore?

Is it false to say that the contractors are having to install extra struts to defend against the problem I mentioned above?

It's the first I've heard is all I'm saying, and I wonder what your source for this is. Rumours are rife, so it would be better if you can back up your statement somehow. I.e. which reliable source did you get this from?

A DITT worker on-site but hey, no one here seems to know any better or I'm sure there would have been a reply either way!

I humbly suggest that anonymously posting on a forum isn't likely to result in a constructive outcome or a satisfactory response, particularly when there are so many rumours, half truths and Chinese whispers in circulation. If you're looking for details or confirmation on whatever it is you've been told about the design and/or construction, why don't you contact the contractors or the architects?

That is just an opinion, the problem being it was approved by Planning. You are too late to do anything about it really.

The museum looks weathered, or it did the last time I looked. An opinion.

Would it be OK to see it fail? Just because it looks different to what you are used to?

I certainly hope it doesn't fail and have never stated the like and obviously my view on the design of the building is MY opinion but come on, a tin hut on the end of a pier, slap bang in front of a residential area, not a great advert for the planning dept. once more! :wink:

I humbly suggest that anonymously posting on a forum isn't likely to result in a constructive outcome or a satisfactory response, particularly when there are so many rumours, half truths and Chinese whispers in circulation. If you're looking for details or confirmation on whatever it is you've been told about the design and/or construction, why don't you contact the contractors or the architects?

That could be an idea Bryan but I'm quite sure of the response I would get from that phone call. Anyway, can you confirm if this is truly an issue or one of those half truths Bryan?