Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Not forgetting, of course, facetiousness, and some of us having a grip on reality.

With that play list :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :wink:

My dearest SP, certain females have the ability to read between the lines and possess a 6th sense. It would appear, however, that a certain mortal male struggles to cope with day-to-day functionality after half a can of Boddingtons, let alone remember the guidelines on cross-posting! :wink: One can only hope that those playing at the Mareel will be as varied as my playlist.

Wanders off humming Unit Four Plus Two "Concrete and clay beneath my feet begins to crumble" ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Mareel will be one of the very best things to happen in Shetland for years, with all money well spent.

There is negativity and then there is Shetlink.

Not forgetting, of course, facetiousness, and some of us having a grip on reality.

And which category would you put yourself in, no doubt the self proclaimed "grip on reality" category. :roll:

Icepick's comment was nothing more than base sarcasm.

And which category would you put yourself in, no doubt the self proclaimed "grip on reality" category. :roll:

I wouldn't know, given that knowledge is subjective and each person has a different epistemology. (Makes mental note to pass dictionary to Ghostrider) :wink:

Mareel will be one of the very best things to happen in Shetland for years, with all money well spent.

There is negativity and then there is Shetlink.

Ah, is that so nederlander?

Well you are totally wrong....

What I wrote, I meant - Simples....

Do try to get out more... :roll:

Stakeholders? That'll be us then seeing as the arts trust or whatever its called gets its funding from da cooncil, so we should have all got an invite. Mine must be in the bottom of the mailbox somewhere!

Two points. First, Shetland Arts is not funded by the council; it's funded by Shetland Charitable Trust. Second, the stakeholders meetings are, I believe, open to anyone. I've never been myself, but I've certainly seen info in the paper - if you want to attend you just have to get in touch with SA. That's my understanding anyway. So in a sense you're right - we did all get an invite. They probably just decided it was better value for money to put a notice in the paper rather than send out individual invitations to each household. People might have complained if they'd done that.

It was a tongue in cheek coment thats all, I never noticed the ad in the paper but then i wasn't looking for it. I wouldn't have gone to it anyway, i don't mean that in a bad way either. I think the only gripe I have just now with it is the design of the building as in how its been put together. I feel that the way its been designed is not an economical way of putting up a building of this size, it could have been done better. Remember this is a publicly owned building paid for by the public purse and the public purse has to keep it maintaned as well. I hope i'm wrong but i feel this building could cost us in up keep and extra repair work in the future.

Where does the charitable trusts money come from? Oh thats right they fund the council as well!! It's all public money at the end of the day. Public buildings, by that i mean new ones, should look good and fit in with their surroundings (!) and also be put together in an economical way. By that i don't mean use cheap materials but use a strong but quick method to erect and make wind and water tight, why do you think that the vast majority of private houses that are built on our windy island are kit houses. Also they need to use proven materials in the build, you don't make a building out of things that could possibly cost a lot to maintain. There's already a Forth rail bridge, we don't need another one, although they seem to have cracked the continual painting problem there!

Where does the charitable trusts money come from?

The oil companies and the stock market.

Oh thats right they fund the council as well!!

Not sure what this means. The CT doesn't 'fund' the council.

It's all public money at the end of the day.

I suppose it depends how you define it. The money doesn't come from taxation, so it's not public in the usual sense of the word.

One thing does spring to mind with "kit" buildings is sound proofing. There will be a number of activities that could be going on at one time.

These topics have already been mentioned, you mention.

And SIC gets much of its money centrally. I hope you enjoy my part of Mareel, I don't mind you using it what so ever. Oh, my friend Hans said the same from Germany.