Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I have rarely seen unlinkedstudent have anything positive to say about anything since her move to Shetland. Mareel has been built, deal with it. Lets make the most of what a great number of us hope will be a fantastic facility for Shetland, not before time either. Bring on the films.

Glad to see that I am obviously fitting in with other Shetlinkers then on most topics on here, albeit not this particular thread. :wink:

I'm more than happy to give praise when due (For example, I have really enjoyed using the local swimming pool and the staff are superb). However, with regard to Mareel and as SP has pointed out, things will need managing - does that mean that both cinema screens and the auditorium will be used simultaneously? If not, why not? These are surely valid points.

Capacity, not only inside (And yes, I did post tongue in cheek a while back about the number of toilets but come on, be honest, have you ever known a venue to have sufficient loos?) but also for parking.

IF Mareel was larger then perhaps more well known groups would play here, perhaps with package deals thrown in for transport. The fact remains that the capacity isn't exactly huge, is it?

You could go to this

http://www.facebook.com/events/322907697739163/

If you were genuinely concerned. I know it is a good half hours drive or so for some, but as with many projects, there is always a lack of interest until the diggers move in. You can have your say, where it really matters.

Ore there is always this

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41i%2Bryn1MlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

IF Mareel was larger then perhaps more well known groups would play here, perhaps with package deals thrown in for transport. The fact remains that the capacity isn't exactly huge, is it?

Here follows a brutal simplification as this has all been covered in minute detail so often already :

Mareel is the size it is for several reasons, but most obvious to most is that it is midway between Local Hall and Clickamin, which are both possible venues for literally any artist, but at great/impractical financial and logistical risk for any promoter.

Big bands/artists only play arenas and festivals occasionally, the rest of the time they are gigging in places like Mareel.

And of course, if you sell out, and a few hundred people don't get tickets, great, you can book the act back again ASAP with no worries :)

Most of the best gigs I have been to have been the most intimate. The most intimate was downs stairs at the Clarendon Hotel in Hammersmith, no longer there, the Dog & Partridge in Preston and of course, Clickamin wi Smirk.

Ah, fond memories of the Clarendon - but it was far from being a small venue; having spent practically every weekend there for over a year I remember it well! :wink:

Absolutely nothing nederlander but remember this is Shetlink or 'Slaglink' as I call it where you can basically post what you want, when you want, without the fear of any reprisals other than a friendly ticking off from the Mods!!

Shetlink has always been intended as an online community. If any member warrants exclusion then please inform a Mod. Thanks. :wink:

As to the soundproofing, bar and event management unlinked, perhaps you should approach Shetland Arts with your enquiry. I've been told that the venue was specced from the start to be sound proof between the different areas. Better to ask than to speculate. ;-) ...and as an apparent music fan, you may find use of it at some point, no?

^Ah, good evening N.

FYI, I've just visited the Facebook page of Mareel and also the Architects' website (who still have it down for completion in 2011) and have looked at the floor plans. More information was readily available elsewhere on the web re capacity, etc.

I'm sure I can't be the only poster who has "speculated" and whilst I raised the query of events occurring simultaneously, twas SP who said "managed". That said, given how popular Shetlink is, perhaps I have wrongly assumed that the Mareel 'powers that be' do read this particular thread and would come forward with the answers to the points I have raised on here or perhaps on their F/B page rather than just I having such information should I telephone them.

Whether or not I use the facilities remains to be seen.

Right, I is hotfooting it off the couch and best assist Ghostie in the kitchen with the washing up. :wink:

I was interested to read in the Mareel stakeholders minutes of the meeting of 28 Sept 2011, that;

Other rumours re figures e.g. that costs had risen to 30 million. Gwilym

reminded everyone that the construction project is still within the 12.2 millionbudget. The additional construction time has meant extra costs for fees, e.g architect, quantity surveyor etc. However, there is still some contingency to help with this. Final costs will only be known a year past completion. For now, the focus is to complete the building.

I am not quite sure how a construction project like Mareel could be managed if the total cost of the project were reported in a manner that could not produce a complete cost accounting within 30 days (OK, I'll give you 60 days) from handover at completion - let alone a full year. I find it difficult to believe that Shetland Arts or their auditors would allow a situation like that to exist?

http://www.shetlandarts.org/images/2011/12/Mareel-Stakeholder-Minutes-_28-Sep-2011.pdf

I am looking forward to Mareel opening and the facilities and entertainment opportunities it will bring to Shetland.

That said, given how popular Shetlink is, perhaps I have wrongly assumed that the Mareel 'powers that be' do read this particular thread and would come forward with the answers to the points I have raised on here or perhaps on their F/B page rather than just I having such information should I telephone them.

Not sure that I'm one of the Mareel 'powers that be' but I'll do my best to answer some of the points raised :wink:

It's quite a challenge to keep track of, and address questions raised on, the various forums, social networks and news websites/papers so I suggest getting in touch with Shetland Arts is the best way to get specific answers.

Multi-functional buildings seldom tend to deliver.
The Sage in Gateshead, The Barbican in London, Howden Park Centre in West Lothian, Artrix in Bromsgrove.... just a few examples of multi-functional arts buildings that 'deliver'. I very much hope Mareel will be on the list too.

That aside, Mareel is to have two cinema screens and the auditorium. So evening classes (perhaps) aside, are you seriously suggesting that the soundproofing is super duper, let alone that the all important bar/cafe could cope?
The construction is essentially several 'rooms' within an outer wall, designed to provide maximum acoustic isolation between spaces. So yes, the soundproofing will be super-duper!

things will need managing - does that mean that both cinema screens and the auditorium will be used simultaneously? If not, why not? These are surely valid points.
Yes, all the spaces can and will be used simultaneously

Capacity, not only inside (And yes, I did post tongue in cheek a while back about the number of toilets but come on, be honest, have you ever known a venue to have sufficient loos?) but also for parking.
Forgive me if I don't (re)address the issues of capacity as this has been discussed many, many times in this thread. The number of toilets and parking spaces are subject to planning regulations.

On the subject of providing transport to events:

That's definitely a subject worth exploring further, and I'd really like to hear folk's ideas on how best to make it work. Firstly, whenever possible, events will be timed to fit with the existing public transport timetable. That will mean, for instance, that most folk in Shetland will be able to get from as far as the outer isles to catch a film on a Saturday afternoon. However, it becomes more of a logistical challenge for evening events.

In my experience, laying on transport can be a Catch 22. Folk don't buy tickets unless they know they can get to an event and back, and it's not viable to organise transport unless you know folk will use it. It's been given a lot of consideration and the best way forward may be for groups of folk to club together and organise their own transport (I know of several groups who are planning to do that) or to indicate their interest in a non-scheduled bus being laid on. Events will be advertised far enough in advance for that to be possible. Several scenarios have been thought through but it'll take some 'real world' testing to get the balance right.

JustMe, your suggestion of this being accomplished though additional funding is a good one, but I'm not aware of any sources to cover such a scheme. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

As with every aspect of Mareel's operation, folk's ideas and input is gladly received and I assure you that all points are given careful consideration.

I had an unofficial tour the iddir night. It looks great. Whilst I understand folks reservations about the whole project, I really cannot understand the "WILL NIVVIR SET FIT IN DA PLACE!" Mentality. Spik aboot cuttin yir nose aff ta spite yir face. But that seems to sum up the state o Shetlink at the moment. Empty Vessels mak da Loudest noise! :lol:

I can't wait for Mareel to open and am looking forward to using it as much as possible.

I do think transport could be an issue though. I drive so can make late performances but of course couldn't have a drink.

But I would be willing to give folk lifts. There is also the community buses. I have a licence ( MIDAS ) to drive one and it was relatively painless. Just one night of tuition followed by a test and then a practical.

Are there other linkers in a similar position?

Would more be willing to provide seats in cars or drive community buses?

We have a resource here in Shetlink where we could organise around performances and marry up drivers with passengers.

I hope Mareel works and that it is successful, l but I guess time will tell if Shetland has a big enough population to make it economically viable.

As the cuts bite and Shetland’s unemployment rises as SIC jobs go taking spending out of the local economy, then there will be less money for individuals to spend on entertainment (or in the bar).

Also with cuts, community mini-busses may soon be a thing of the past and it is likely that the north isles ferries will no longer run in the evenings.

perriebryan wrote

JustMe, your suggestion of this being accomplished though additional funding is a good one, but I'm not aware of any sources to cover such a scheme. Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

Sorry, not much in the way of ideas myself except that enabling people from the more remote parts of Shetland to attend an event in Mareel and get home afterwards maybe ought to be something the National Lottery could consider funding. Was going to say certainly for pensioners and the long term sick but then I thought that some pensioners are quite wealthy and some working people are quite poor.

Just to remind those in Lerwick there are parts of Shetland where the last bus leaves Lerwick just after 5pm and there is no Sunday service. But I can certainly see me leaving my shopping at the bus station and popping down to Mareel for an afternoon event