Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I dont like the term punter used by Brian for Mareel customers, i have looked it up on Wikipedia. A patron of a public house or a patron of a brothel or a customer of a prostitute . What service is Mareel to provide ?

I've looked up Lerwick on Wikipedia, its the capital of Shetland. Grats on being the first town to learn to type :D

Try looking up jambo, a monkey from Jersey zoo!

I like that one :D Also Swahili for Hello. Mine has a Scottish theme though.

Well, finally we're getting somewhere. This answers a few questions, but not all by a long shot. There are no details whatsoever relating to the cinema, and a quick glance also appears to suggest that while a "kitchen store" is readily noticable, there is no sign of a "kitchen" for it to serve......Guess I need to look harder. :wink:

Notwithstanding that, is it really appropriate that you have to go on to an allegedly unconnected organisation's site to access such basic information?!? Its not exactly the easiest found either, unless you know it is still on there and how to go about finding it. Its non-date searchable, as everything on the site appears to have been re-dated for two months ago. The search doesn't bring it up under "Mareel", or "music" or "venue" either, "cinema" was the only one I tried that did.

I shall return....presently. :wink:

....it sounds more like those Shetland Trees are doin overtime, even if adopted.

What will you do if da auld man gets a peerie start in Caithness?

Any chance of a translation of these for eveyone mate, or are only a chosen few being communicated to?? You know like in those B rate war and spy movies of yesteryear, "the eagle flies at midnight" and all that garbage.

What does non-existant "Shetland Trees" and "Caithness" have to do with Mareel anyway??? :ponders:

Well, finally we're getting somewhere. This answers a few questions, but not all by a long shot. There are no details whatsoever relating to the cinema, and a quick glance also appears to suggest that while a "kitchen store" is readily noticable, there is no sign of a "kitchen" for it to serve......Guess I need to look harder. :wink:

Notwithstanding that, is it really appropriate that you have to go on to an allegedly unconnected organisation's site to access such basic information?!? Its not exactly the easiest found either, unless you know it is still on there and how to go about finding it. Its non-date searchable, as everything on the site appears to have been re-dated for two months ago. The search doesn't bring it up under "Mareel", or "music" or "venue" either, "cinema" was the only one I tried that did.

I shall return....presently. :wink:

Ghosty,

I really don't get it! These plans were prepared for the purposes of a planning application. That's why they're on the planning website. They weren't produced to answer every question that might conceivably be asked by anyone and then deliberately hidden away where they might not be found!

Do you really NEED to know everything about every building that's partly publicly funded - or is it just Mareel? I suspect from a brief scan over this discussion that the more information you're given, the more questions you'll have and that you'll never reach a point at which you're satisfied.

I really don't get it! These plans were prepared for the purposes of a planning application. That's why they're on the planning website. They weren't produced to answer every question that might conceivably be asked by anyone and then deliberately hidden away where they might not be found!

I am fully aware why they are on a planning site, and am aware of their purpose and intent, and I never said they'd been hidden. My point was that to get any decent basic information relating to Mareel, I am having to resort to material hosted on a wholly unconnected website, for wholly other reasons than ongoing general information, and which has become extremely difficult to find due to that site having undergone changes since it was put there, and the passage of time.

Do you really NEED to know everything about every building that's partly publicly funded - or is it just Mareel? I suspect from a brief scan over this discussion that the more information you're given, the more questions you'll have and that you'll never reach a point at which you're satisfied.

No, I don't need to know everything about Mareel, I've never asked to know everything about Mareel, and its virtually certain there are very many things about Mareel it is a very good idea that I don't know and never know....

However, given that it is a public building, and a highly controversial one at that, and that we are now 18 months in to an estimated 2 year build, I don't think I'm being too demanding to expect to find quickly and easily the figures relating to floor areas, approx crowd capacities etc of the building. Nor do I think I am being too "demanding" that if during the build I note something which gives the impression of being "not fit for purpose" being constructed, to make enquiries about it and/or discuss it on a public discussion board which has had a thread on the subject of the build stretching back god knows how many pages and years....

For the record, as I'm sure earlier through this thread will prove, I was of the opinion Mareel was the wrong building on the wrong site from quite early on, however when the democratic?? decision was taken to proceed with it, I shutup, and have remained shutup on it until now, when the building is in an advanced stage of construction, and you can see the actual facilities starting to take shape, and also decisions either have been taken, or will need to be taken imminently, and installation is current, for such things as sound insulation, vibration control etc etc.

Is it really too much to ask that come this stage of the project, that floor areas of main areas, crowd capacities, maximum db output on the main stage before there is audio leak through to adjoining areas from the main auditorium, maximum limitations of vibration conduction elimination from the main auditorium to adjoining areas, and similar basis "general" information is readily and easily available.

I certainly don't give a blank what colour the foyer carpet is, who makes the beer glasses used in the bar, or whether low energy bulbs are used in the ladies staff bogs. Only how many can get in, where there's room for their collective arses to be perched, the limitations on the show they can hear/see/participate in, and how they all escape again, whatever the circumstances.

Got it now by any chance?

Afraid not GR im still confused as to how you cant find that information.

Edited

Okay, maybe I need to go to Specsavers.....but.

I could not locate floor area data, capacity data, sound limitation data, vibration dampening etc data on either the Shetland Arts site, the Mareel Facebook page or on the Architect's website, when I last visited all three less than 24 hours ago. The only place I could locate part of the information was via Carlos' link to the SIC site.

So, where else would a reasonable interested party be expected to look, how about a clue? After all.

Shetlink - Shetland's Online Community: share information, share resources and communicate ideas

:wink:

Only how many can get in,

where there's room for their collective arses to be perched,

the limitations on the show they can hear/see/participate in,

and how they all escape again, whatever the circumstances.

Got it now by any chance?

I've got it now!

If PeerieBryan can satifactorily answer these four basic questions then he can have Christmas and New Year off?

What i dont get is why do you expect this information to be online??

why cant you phone and speak to the engineer on site? He is extremely knowledgeable on all the topics you are trying to gain information on.. I would tell you myself but it was so technical during my site visit that it was pretty much in one ear and out the other.. Other than it is built up of four layers thats about all that stuck in my brain cell.. oh and the auditorium sits 170 what that translates to once all the seats are folded away for a standing event i dont know.