Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

but it is cost effective to build a complete arts centre to house such equipment?????

It's hardly as if Mareel is 'just' to house equipment. It's a mutli-purpose building. Aside from being intended as a performance space for music and a two screen cinema, it'll have recording facilities, production facilities, office space, edit suites, equipment hire, a gallery.... it'll enable a higher standard of music courses to be taught in the isles, be suitable for live concerts that can be recorded for CD, DVD, web streaming - possibly even broadcast. You're never going to be able to do all those sort of things with the Clickamin or the Garrison. As Bryan points out, using the Clickamin for gigs, etc and the Garrison for films means they cannot be used for their intended purpose during that time. Certainly, it has been my experience that rehearsals in the Garrison have had to be halted, sets cleared, etc, to enable the monthly film shows to go ahead. And the Garrison is far from ideal as a cinema space.

Quite honestly, these topics have been gone over again and again. Quite why they should have to be explained again is beyond me.

but lets get back to the 6 folk making it cost effective at a tenner each, 60 quid somehow I doubt that. wages are going to be braaly poor at mareel then.

Again, as pointed out, different films have different costs. It depends what the film is, (art-house, blockbuster, etc), when it's on, which screen, etc, etc. There is no definitive answer because the costs vary. However, Shetland Arts have (on multiple occasions) said that cinema prices will be broadly in line with mainland ones. Mainland cinemas have different pricing structures that take into account the day of the week, time of a showing, etc etc. Trying to pin Bryan down to a figure you've more or less invented seems pretty pointless to me. What I would point out though, is that traditionally, cinemas had to cover the cost of transporting up to 80,000 ft of film per movie in their prices - to say nothing of the hours spent preparing the multiple film reels for projection, as well as having a projectionist overseeing each screening. Thankfully, we now live in an age of digital cinema, where films can be delivered in an electronic format. This dramatically reduces the overheads to a cinema, and enables them to break even much more easily. Mareel will be able to take advantage of this.

But bryan we are going to have to agree to disagree and whether you like it or not you will be buying me a pint with your redundancy when mareel goes to the council with the begging bowl.

Perhaps you should bring your hat instead, making sure it's throughly cooked all the way through.

Have just spoken to a talented teenager who had to stop his music lessons when the school ceased to provide them.

Families cannot afford this extra expense, especially when there is more than one child to pay for.

If/when Mareel goes ahead, why don't they incorporate free 'jam' sessions for youngsters at weekends, with volunteers guiding and tutoring them. This could show Mareel's commitment to the young musicians and entertainers, connect with the community and possibly appear less elitist.

Well, personally, i've been looking forward to pretty much exactly that for well over a decade!

Folks can carry on speculating, rumouring and inventing to their hearts content about other things that may or may not happen in Mareel, but sessions, all inclusive by nature and the best form of musical education you can get (IMO, of course) are inevitable :)

These jamming sessions you refer to have been going on in Shetland for as far back as folk have been here that is why Shetland has such a rich musical heritage. It does not need a £12 million tin hut to keep the tradition alive just get rid of the xbox and playstation.

I for one cannot wait for Mareel! It's here folks, lets make the most of it instead of trying to shoot it down without giving it a chance!

I agree, its here now lets just enjoy it, being able to watch the big films advertised on tv will be great.

You can do this now and have done for several years in the Garrison. the difrence with Mareel will be that all films will be on at the same time as they are south, i cant waite!

films are on fortnightly now untill Mareel opens and as fas as Ive heard not many of the 'film buffs' are going.

blaming the seats just proves you not that committed

These jamming sessions you refer to have been going on in Shetland for as far back as folk have been here that is why Shetland has such a rich musical heritage. It does not need a £12 million tin hut to keep the tradition alive just get rid of the xbox and playstation.

The fact you seem completely oblivious to Mareel partly existing to capitalise upon Shetland's rich musical heritage speaks volumes.

The fact you seem completely oblivious to Mareel partly existing to capitalise upon Shetland's rich musical heritage speaks volumes.

Hence, Shetland's musical heritage's purpose becomes that of sustaining Mareel?

Cart/horse anyone?

the fact that you think Shetland needs to spend £12 million plus whatever subsidy it will require year on year speaks volumes.

try getting out of your nice comfy chair for once and you might see that the very thing that gave Shetland its rich musical heritage is folks sitting at home with friends jamming making their own entertainment not going to the cinema to watch the latest blockbuster.

Mareel might very well mean the death of this rich musical heritage and make our musical culture just as bland as any big metropolis.

Its hard enough to get the bairns away from the front of a screen as it is now we are going to provide them with a bigger one (sorry make that two)

well done mr gibbons you are a the proverbial monkey on our back thats for sure.

And don't get me wrong I will go to see a movie if it floats my boat enough but not enough to make the place pay and that is the same for every one I speak to.

As for concerts well at such a small capacity I doubt they will ever have anyone I want to see perform there so it will be the clickimin for me as long as the arts trust have nothing to do with selling tickets.

Funny thing is I have discussed this topic with a fair few local musicians and only 2 have said mareel is a good idea, so just who the hell are we building it for.

Boys – hae ye no haerd da latest – whan Mareel opens dan dey ir goin tae hae a re-neming ceremony and dey will caa hit efter da man dat got hit passed trow da Cooncil – goin tae caa hit da Saandy Cluness Memorial Hall