Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

Looks like Shetland Arts could have had another showing of films at the Garrison. A little disappointed with the lack of information we're getting at the moment, I understand that they are perhaps scared of committing to a date that they can't keep, but any information on plans they have would raise the anticipation levels that little bit more.

I heard all the film stuff had all been removed from the garrison but i could be wrong

Isn't the new (first part of the) Hobbit film due in December shot in 48fps, instead of 24fps? Or something like that. I believe to show it in 48fps a cinema needs new equipment. It would be nice if Mareel is equipped for that too, esp if all films end up going that way.

However they are making 24fps of The Hobbit available for showing too; and there are some who don't like the way 48fps looks...

I hope they manage to have daytime screenings sometimes, and not just kids films on a saturday morning.

I would like to have all the Harry Potter films, Lord of the Rings, Matrix Trilogy... Titanic too.

Isn't the new (first part of the) Hobbit film due in December shot in 48fps, instead of 24fps? Or something like that. I believe to show it in 48fps a cinema needs new equipment. It would be nice if Mareel is equipped for that too, esp if all films end up going that way.

However they are making 24fps of The Hobbit available for showing too; and there are some who don't like the way 48fps looks...

I hope they manage to have daytime screenings sometimes, and not just kids films on a saturday morning.

I would like to have all the Harry Potter films, Lord of the Rings, Matrix Trilogy... Titanic too.

It depends on the make and model - some 4K digital projectors will currently work with 48fps 2D and need a software and/or hardware fix to show 48fps 3D, but they'll almost all need fixes of some sort.

Personally, I'm not sure what the point of 48FPS is in cinema. It seems like another fad in the way that 3D is. It's been technically possible to shoot and project 48 frames per second on 35mm for decades and no-one's felt the need to - it just seems like Peter Jackson and Warners are dicking about for the sake of it. the irony is that for years, broadcasters and video camera manufacturers have been striving to make video shot at 50/60 fields per second look more like film. Now we have a film where they're making it look like video.

I seem to mind hearing that as the technology meant the cinema was very cheap to run (in the grand scheme of things) there would be showings all through the day if there was a demand for it.

Edited for spelling

Quick update: DITT are in the process of handing over the building to Shetland Arts at the moment - we've been getting access to certain areas over the past couple of weeks to start fitting out the cinema and PA, and DITT are well into the snagging list.

There's no definitive opening date yet as there's still a lot of fitting out and commissioning to do, but we're on the home straights.

I seem to mind hearing that as the technology meant the cinema was very cheap to run (in the grand scheme of things) there would be showings all through the day if there was a demand for it.

Edited for spelling

Cheap to run as in digital copy of film, but to open they need lighting and staff on. No evening buses mean it has to be a daytime showing, like many who live out of town.

I saw the last Harry Potter at the garrison, the only time I have been. Naturally it was full of young children, which is understandable... but would have been nice to see it without them, i.e. a weekday. MIght be hoping for too much on that one.

@ peeriebryan, good news :)

Quick update: DITT are in the process of handing over the building to Shetland Arts at the moment - we've been getting access to certain areas over the past couple of weeks to start fitting out the cinema and PA, and DITT are well into the snagging list.

There's no definitive opening date yet as there's still a lot of fitting out and commissioning to do, but we're on the home straights.

Hoping it all goes well - especially the lighting, cabling, etc! :) My brother-in-law's (husband's brother) company was involved - http://www.northernlight.co.uk/news/210-northern-light-delivers-at-uks-most-northerly-arts-ventre

I heard all the film stuff had all been removed from the garrison but i could be wrong

i think you heard wrong, its all there and will be there for anyone that wants to show a 35mm film in the future. I think its a shame they could have got a couple of film weekends in while we starve ourselves on the missing movies, maybe thats the cunning plan?

Glad its finally nearly open and i am looking forward to seeing films there and gigs. But I am still worried in this time of no money the running cost as there is no way i can see it breaking even, which is a shame. Pity it was not built years ago with the sports centres, then it would have not have gotten such a negative response.

Glad its finally nearly open and i am looking forward to seeing films there and gigs. But I am still worried in this time of no money the running cost as there is no way i can see it breaking even, which is a shame. Pity it was not built years ago with the sports centres, then it would have not have gotten such a negative response.

It may well have got such a negative response and TBH, none of us really know as we can't turn back the clock. Given, however, that the crowd capacity, the 'let us shove as much into one space as possible' attitude (probably the fault of the SIC though in order to give more dosh to it), not to mention the design, its location and lack of parking - in a nutshell, it probably would have got the same response.

Get the blooming thing up and running then we can ascertain if it really will turn into a white elephant or meet the approval of the masses ... and perhaps in 5-10 years' time we can see just whether or not the infamous roof crumbles away or stands the test of (weathered) time, and, perish the thought, if it makes a profit.