Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

The fact that Shetland on average has 9-10 months from 12 when you come out of some doo its a night of crap, probably has quite a factor on that. Staggering pished, stoned or whatever from Hay's to the Upper Viking, Fort or Town Hall is heavy going on a fine night, and just south of impossible when its pissing it down and blowing half a gale. Tends to make many just say "**** it" and wait for the next taxi home. which in itself just exacerbates another problem, as the car they came in often just sits blocking a space in whatever car park they left it for a day or two. Aren't the car parks overflowing enough on a Saturday morning without extras added to them.

Thats the spirit lets all get pished and drive home!!!

There are also all the spaces at the new council offices and the other North Ness areas, which will more than likley be empty from 5pm onwards. pootle me, is there nothing that some of you won't criticise? Shetlink is just one big slag fest now, dominated by 3 or 4 doom merchants and naysayers. A damn shame.

I suppose not if your definition of "criticise" and "slag off" is anything and everything that doesn't conform to your own exact POV. Mareel has become a holier than holy in some people's minds, and anything other than toeing the line and praising it to high heaven is met with an unbelievable sensitivity, and decried as an attack criticising and slagging it off. Methinks the lady/gentleman protesteth too much.....

:roll: I suppose I'm someone from Shetland Arts am I? :lol: Nothing to do with my point of view actually, merely an observation of what Shetlink has turned into in the past year or so. It didn't used to be like it is now.

I really couldn't care who you are, if you wanna have the opinion that anything you preceive as an "attack" or "critisicm" of Mareel must be derided and silenced, that's your perogative.

I note you cut my quote where I go on to say that I don't think that SA or Mareel are beyond critisim, as such you devalue your accusation of me defending them to the hilt, because the simple fact is that I don't. :wink: The "new eyes" bit is just ludicrous. But well done on becoming the spokesperson for the "Negative Society" though, makes sense. :D

Shetland-boys expressed an opinion that they believe Mareel parking is quite adequate, I expressed an opinion that I believe it is quite inadequate. Do I care whose right or wrong? Not one jot. Just expressing my opinion as people do on a public forum, end of. If that's your definition of criticising and slagging something off, well, you must meet little else, as pretty much nothing pleases all of the people all of the time.

Yes, but you discounted the many parking spaces within spitting distance of Mareel. The only reason I can think that you did this was to suit your own POV. :wink:

I think you'll find I mentioned the North Ness and the Upper Viking Car Park, being as they were nearest. You'll have to have a good spit going on if you can reach the Town Hall or the Fort from Hay's though.....

Point in hand though is, while Mareel/Shetland Arts have an arrangement for now to use the "White House" (or whatever its been dubbed) car park at the moment, it, and the rest of the North Ness aren't (AFAIK) public car parks, and may not necessarily be available in the future. They are there first and foremost to service the buildings they are associated with, and any significant detriment to that is going to put their availability in jeopardy. Ideally a public building would have dedicated carparking adequate to accomodate its average capacity and not rely on public car parks and "borrowed" space from other entities, the fact it doesn't is just one more point towards proving that far too much has been squeezed in to a far too small site

The "White House" car park is a public car park. My point is that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to the parking "situation". If it does become a problem then raise it then, why do it now? Is it just because you are looking for problems that aren't even problems yet, and may never even become problems? :wink:

Will colour blind people be able to read their seat number? *Add ridiculous, unfounded and laughable complaint/question/allegation here*. :wink:

How predictable, have a dig at someone's disability. Mind you, you forgot to mention that many people have a job finding their (correct) seat number in a cinema, be it through drink, small numbering or even the fact the lights are out! :shock:

:roll: ...aaaaaand here's the other one, with a typically ridiculous post. :lol:

But well done on becoming the spokesperson for the "Negative Society"..... :D

That's fine, you live in your world of shiny happy people, I'll live in mine of life's a pile of sh*te, then you go and die.

Is it just because you are looking for problems that aren't even problems yet, and may never even become problems? :wink:

I'm seeing a train wreck waiting to happen staring folk in the face, if you can't see it, you're probably "lucky".

Wait till it actually opens and all these people can finally get in and take issue with actual facts for a change!

I predict at least 14 pages on shetlink greetin dat der's no enough coatpegs!!

:lol:

Or that they're the wrong shape, colour, size or won't possibly hold a coat and will fall off the wall. And the doors will be the wrong shape, the windows will let too much light in, the walls will be the wrong shade of whatever, etc, etc.

A bit stunned by the parking thing I must admit.

Ever tried to park next to the Barrowlands in Glasgow, the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh, or the VUE Cinema in Aberdeen?

:roll:

Put it this way, us yokels are expected to support Mareel but yet to attend in an evening, we would have to use either taxis (at over £35 a time from the South End) or drive as there won't be public transport available. Using comparable venues within city locations won't work as in those cities, public transport is available. Is it not the case that Shetland has a higher number of cars per household than elsewhere in the UK for the size of the population?

This isn't moaning; it's debating the point. What is wrong with debating something before a venue opens? What would happen if the other car parks nearby decided to erect entry barriers? Planning should have looked closer at the parking issue.

Now, you could look at it another way - if there isn't a problem with car parking and the car park isn't full to capacity each evening, then you've got to ask yourself how the hell the place is going to make a profit.

Ever tried to park next to the Barrowlands in Glasgow, the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh, or the VUE Cinema in Aberdeen?

Put it this way, us yokels are expected to support Mareel but yet to attend in an evening, we would have to use either taxis (at over £35 a time from the South End) or drive as there won't be public transport available. Using comparable venues within city locations won't work as in those cities, public transport is available. Is it not the case that Shetland has a higher number of cars per household than elsewhere in the UK for the size of the population?

This isn't moaning; it's debating the point. What is wrong with debating something before a venue opens? What would happen if the other car parks nearby decided to erect entry barriers? Planning should have looked closer at the parking issue.

Now, you could look at it another way - if there isn't a problem with car parking and the car park isn't full to capacity each evening, then you've got to ask yourself how the hell the place is going to make a profit. (Edit: But then the powers that be viewed it that all the townies would be walking to Mareel so there wouldn't be a problem)

So your real gripe is with the lack of public transport then?

How do you know that this wasn't discussed? As far as I can see, as it stands, there is ample parking space in the immediate vicinity of Mareel.

:D