Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I would see it as way beyond ample, but as always if everyone thought the same, what a boring world it would be.

My point was that when people "go south" to gigs or to watch a few films, they think nothing of walking for 30minutes or more to and from the venue, often more, why should it be any different in Shetland?

A bit stunned by the parking thing I must admit.

Ever tried to park next to the Barrowlands in Glasgow, the Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh, or the VUE Cinema in Aberdeen?

:roll:

Put it this way, us yokels are expected to support Mareel but yet to attend in an evening, we would have to use either taxis (at over £35 a time from the South End) or drive as there won't be public transport available. Using comparable venues within city locations won't work as in those cities, public transport is available. Is it not the case that Shetland has a higher number of cars per household than elsewhere in the UK for the size of the population?

So your real gripe is with the lack of public transport then?

Gripe? Can you not read? I said debating!

This isn't moaning; it's debating the point. What is wrong with debating something before a venue opens? What would happen if the other car parks nearby decided to erect entry barriers? Planning should have looked closer at the parking issue.

How do you know that this wasn't discussed? As far as I can see, as it stands, there is ample parking space in the immediate vicinity of Mareel.

:D

It was discussed hence my comment concerning those living in town walking to the venue.

The car parking is part of the planning procedure - they have to meet a minimum number of spaces for the expected use of the building. Ther's also more than ample overspill in the adjacent North Ness Business Park and the museum. As I said, it's a non-issue. There is no debate because there's nothing to debate. You can dress it up as much as you like, but it's having a moan for the sake of it. Next week, it'll be something else.

I saw a comment on FB the other day which I've been waiting to see posted here as a fact but sadly it hasn't so for my own amusement I will post it myself.

I heard that Mareel has a cut out when the volume breeches 100db..

Ps for those who don't understand sarcasm.. the above statement is false...

Walking should be encouraged. It has been reported that the UK population are very lazy when it comes to exercise. So, it may do some allot of good instead of the drive to the door culture we seem to insist on.

Mind, those who don't tend to pop off earlier.

Parking whining is

http://reallymichelle.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/sourgrapes.jpg

You had your opportunity to contribute during the planning stage.

Put it this way, us yokels are expected to support Mareel but yet to attend in an evening, we would have to use either taxis (at over £35 a time from the South End) or drive as there won't be public transport available.

Why did you move there, after all, reading the countless points of advice produced you cannot move to the herse end of existence and then complain about the smell of poop.

Yokels, that is funny. hehe Cletus

A full day of sharn spoken and started by the same crew on this thread today.................sad times :cry:

Any opening date announced yet? Not been on here for a while and if the posts on this thread today are anything to go by i'm not going to bother trawling back 10 pages :wink:

I can see nobody is gonna sleep tonight for fear of not being able to park at the door of Mareel so i've had a tramp around counting car parking spaces. Not sure if it's ta show how much sharn is being spouted on here or to see if it only serves to start more arguerments at which point I think I'll just give up!

Count the marked spaces, then add an estimated number for the office site - I'm seeing sixtyish give or take, for (presumably) customers, staff and service vehicles.

Within the North Ness area there are 254 parking spaces not including disabled or the 73 empty ones around the North Ness Business Park buildings.

Wander a bit further to the Viking carp Park, below the Fort and market street car parks and you can add another 138 spaces, again not including disabled.

For the really energetic who can manage the 500 yards or so to the old swimming pool car park and you have another 155 spaces.

What would happen if the other car parks nearby decided to erect entry barriers?

Why on earth would the Council close off public car parks? That really does smack of a desperate clutching at straws to try to bolster your arguement.

So does anybody know just how many coatpegs there will be in Mareel?

The Garrison doesn't have a car park on it's door step. The nearest is the old swimming pool car park and the Market St Car Park. Neither are huge and it manages ok. People in town seem quite happy to walk it. The Clickamin car park isn't that big, and yet I've worked on plenty of gigs there where the main hall has been pretty full. Mareel has more car parking space on it's doorstep than any other building in town, and yet the knives are out and being sharpened. It's all a bit sad really.

I can see nobody is gonna sleep tonight for fear of not being able to park at the door of Mareel so i've had a tramp around counting car parking spaces. Not sure if it's ta show how much sharn is being spouted on here or to see if it only serves to start more arguerments at which point I think I'll just give up!

Count the marked spaces, then add an estimated number for the office site - I'm seeing sixtyish give or take, for (presumably) customers, staff and service vehicles.

Within the North Ness area there are 254 parking spaces not including disabled or the 73 empty ones around the North Ness Business Park buildings.

Wander a bit further to the Viking carp Park, below the Fort and market street car parks and you can add another 138 spaces, again not including disabled.

For the really energetic who can manage the 500 yards or so to the old swimming pool car park and you have another 155 spaces.

What would happen if the other car parks nearby decided to erect entry barriers?

Why on earth would the Council close off public car parks? That really does smack of a desperate clutching at straws to try to bolster your arguement.

So does anybody know just how many coatpegs there will be in Mareel?

M, You could also include the couple of hundred spaces at the Toll Clock Shopping Centre and Coop Supermarket. Easy walking distance to Mareel and mainly on the flat. This perceived parking issue is a thing of nothing IMO.

Well, I'll be honest, that's more car parking space in the vicinity than I had realised - yep, I'm not afraid to hold my hand up and admit when I'm wrong - can the same be said for the rest of ya on other points in this thread though?

Take the comment regarding sound limiting if it breaches a certain decibel level, for example. Many venues do have an output device these days and you'll find it kicks in way below 100dB so yeah, that rumour probably was false depending upon the ear protection offered to staff and the measures in place.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/noise/mythaug07.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bbpa-prod/attachments/documents/resources/21254/original/BBPA%20NOISE%20GUIDANCE.pdf?1329497179

Thanks Muppet, Bug and others - reasonableness, common sense and intelligence on Shetlink winning hands down over the carping negativity. And there appear to be people out there who are prepared to actually walk half a mile, and wear a waterproof jacket. For once, I'm glad I logged in and can retire happy. :)

Well, I'll be honest, that's more car parking space in the vicinity than I had realised - yep, I'm not afraid to hold my hand up and admit when I'm wrong - can the same be said for the rest of ya on other points in this thread though?

Personally, no. For the simple reason that all the stuff I've ever posted about Mareel isn't mis-informed crap.