Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

There is no debate because there's nothing to debate. You can dress it up as much as you like, but it's having a moan for the sake of it.

There may or may not be no debate about the original point (inadequate parking), but it moved on from there to the usual making fun and slagging off so quickly its almost surprising the original point way even noticed. A debate can only exist where the opposing viewpoints are calmly and rationally discussed in a respectful manner, something that this thread hasn't had for several pages back. Woe betide anyone who so much as dares post anything that anyone preceives as in any way "negative" of Mareel, for not only will the subject matter of whatever they post be lampooned and derided, they themselves will be verbally attacked. Check at least the last seven months of postings to this thread before attempting to dispute that.

"Attack the argument, not the person" is a bit thin on the ground where Mareel is concerned is it not?

I posted a personal opinion that I believe Mareel parking is inadequate, and I stand by that opinion. However once again on this thread it took several posts on the remainder of that page to get past the un-necessary and highly unhelpful personal digs, before folk started to have a chance to state politely and respectfully that they were of the opinion parking was adequate, and back it up with the reasons why.

So when is having an opinion and expressing it having a "moan" which should be slagged off, and when isn't it? When its perceived as in some way "negative" towards Mareel seems to be the rule of thumb. A bit too Commie or Fascist "thought police" that for my liking....

An opinion got thrown out there, of those who chose to comment that opinion has been shown to be in a minority, that's fine, I've seen nothing yet to make me seriously reconsider the opinion I hold, and it doesn't bother me I'm in a minority because of that. My opinion is my right to hold and express though, whatever it is, and however wrong anyone may believe it to be. Dismissing any opinion as a "moan" is simply denying the individual's right to freedom of thought and expression.

A debate could only have existed had opposing opinions both believed they could win over their opposing viewpoint or were willing to negotiate a mutual compromise. I did not enter this discussion looking to debate anything, only to canvass opinion on the subject, whether any debate followed or not was a decision yet to be taken pending the opinions expressed. For my part, whatever debate may or may not have been possible was denied everybody by the cheap shots, pulling the piss and snide jibes made in reply almost immediately the original opinion was posted. Very helpful and constructive contributions I must say.

This is directed mainly at Ghostrider and Unlinkedstudent but anyone else who has been asking questions to Bryan and Shetland Arts feel free to jump in with your opinion.

What do you think you'll achieve asking questions about design months to years after the design has been approved and is in construction?.

This is directed mainly at Ghostrider and Unlinkedstudent but anyone else who has been asking questions to Bryan and Shetland Arts feel free to jump in with your opinion.

Should I point out my answer is for JohanofNess mainly and ignore the fact that anyone can reply anyway, regardless?

What do you think you'll achieve asking questions about design months to years after the design has been approved and is in construction?.

Find out what a prat the female Architect was. :wink: If my memory serves me correctly, you commented along earlier in this thread and I answered. I take it therefore that in your opinion, people aren't allowed to ask questions about the design of buildings unless such questions are asked before they've been approved? Perish the thought that anyone shows an interest in any building and is interested to learn of the construction methods utilised.

Find out what a prat the female Architect was. :wink: If my memory serves me correctly, you commented along earlier in this thread and I answered.

Refresh my memory, I think we've commented on each others posts on more than one occasion in this thread.

I take it therefore that in your opinion, people aren't allowed to ask questions about the design of buildings unless such questions are asked before they've been approved?

That's not what I said and it isn't my opinion I just asked what you expect to achieve highlighting issues when little or nothing can be done about them. Seems a perfectly fair thing to ask particularly as you expect others to take time out of their day to answer your questions. If your concerns about the sound insulation had been brought up prior to commencement on site and if you were found to be correct then something could have been done about it.

Perish the thought that anyone shows an interest in any building and is interested to learn of the construction methods utilised.

The way I read your queries and concerns they are less to do with how Mareel is built and more to do with how it has been designed, the facilties and infrastructure in particular.

Find out what a prat the female Architect was. If my memory serves me correctly, you commented along earlier in this thread and I answered. I take it therefore that in your opinion, people aren't allowed to ask questions about the design of buildings unless such questions are asked before they've been approved? Perish the thought that anyone shows an interest in any building and is interested to learn of the construction methods utilised.

unlink you may want to retract that statement.

1 your not qualified to infer if the Architect was a prat. unless your a. an architect or b. your a prat.

2 your a female and using that to to attack another is poor and sexist.

3 you have complained about the rusty none rusting roof, the bogs, coat hanging. and sound proofing and now the car park.

WHY ARE YOU SO BOTHERED BY THIS PROJECT

maybe the design is not what you call great but its what goes on inside that will make or break the place. lets just wait and see.

It may be a bit premature at the moment, but I am still interested in doing some audio work via my radio show and Shetlands music/arts scene.

It would be a great idea if Mareel could host a community station, there is accredited training that can be done and it will lead to folk getting jobs all over the country as I have seen myself.

I have been working with the community arts/music scene for a number of years, although you see folk come and go, the thrust is always there.

The group we volunteered for. helped thousands of folk, some who had never thought they could do anything. It commissioned hundreds of local artists to produce works to enhance the folk of where I live and beyond.

The power music and arts has to get folk involved in their community is immense, the profit, is the well being of folk who take part, happily they will greatly out number those who have complained, though I do expect that many of the complainers will take part and be involved.

I have seen some great things that folk can do with kindness, compassion and without personal reward. Those who have complained, or cast an opinion are entitled to do so, but I think we have not seen the point in doing so. What is the benefit of the opinion? How will it enhance all of our lives?

I did say I would come up for the opening, I will plan a trip for October. ;-)

^ & ^^ & ^^^

Read into my posts what you may; I'm not responsible for how you lot interpret them.

@JON: You know perfectly well that I've answered. If you're that bothered, I suggest you go back and read previous posts.

@paulb: I take it then that you're saying the likes of Prince Charles and anyone else can't comment on architectural matters as 'they're not qualified to do so'. I bet I'm not alone in thinking it was a prattish thing to do by having a plant room at an upper level - wasn't aware you had to be a paid up member of RIBA to realise that. I commented on the roof turning into a powder-like substance.

WHY ARE YOU SO BOTHERED AS TO WHY I'M INTERESTED IN THE PROJECT? Oh and again, anyone posts anything non-Mareel positive and it's a complaint, is it?

What's rational about suggesting that car drivers will be coming out of Mareel in this state?

Staggering pished, stoned or whatever from Hay's to the Upper Viking, Fort or Town Hall is heavy going on a fine night, and just south of impossible when its pissing it down and blowing half a gale.

Now come on! aside from the perceived state of these drivers, 'heavy going' to stroll from Mareel along the flat to the Fort or across the road to the Viking?

^ & ^^ & ^^^

Read into my posts what you may; I'm not responsible for how you lot interpret them.

A good get out, one you use much.

Perhaps posting in Latin may make it cleared for us. What would be the point of projecting an opinion if you cannot word it to make your point understandable and get your point/opinion across in an articulated an understandable format.

An opinion I have. :wink:

Feel free to have a go at they way I sometimes post, at the end of the day, I spend much of my time getting involved and trying to forward folks lives for the better. It has great reward, it can be exhausting and frustrating at times but on the whole the smiles I see on folks faces are great.

See you in October

^ So commenting upon how designs can impact upon the disabled in detail isn't clear enough for you then, SP? Oops, almost forgot how many thought that was sooooo amusing. Queries about sound/vibration impacting perhaps upon other activities going on within the building and also how they might (or might not) impact upon neighbouring buildings wasn't clear enough either?

FYI, there's over 20 different soundproofing/dampening methods in place but hey, if I hadn't enquired I wouldn't have found that out, now would I? Only time will tell how effective they are. You never know, some may even be of use in the building where I live.

Firstly, while I have posed one or two questions directly at Bryan/Shetland Arts, for the most part my posts have been intended to garner opinion.

For a time the purpose was, hopefully to stimulate debate on potentially problematic aspects of the building from a member of the public's POV, and make Shetland Arts aware of the strength of opinion (or lack thereof) on the issue. While there was still some window of opportunity to make some amendments to things during the build.

In a nutshell, why waste time and trouble going all the way around the houses phoning Shetland Arts trying to get hold of someone who was in a position that matters, then only be a lone voice crying in the wilderness, when you could raise the issue on one the guys who matters own website, where he could peruse it, and the opinions of others on the same issue, as and when and if he felt like it.

That window of opportunity probably more or less closed at the end of 2011, if not before. Anything I've posted since then has more or less been on the basis of, "Can anyone explain how this is supposed to work, as I sure as hell can't see how it possibly can?" Effectively for my own personal information, so as to be able to either say, "Oh, okay, fair enough....". Or, "OMG, no chance, I can forget thinking about ever using this place if thats how its supposed to go....".

I am actually pro-Mareel, and while I did have a number of concerns about the plan, once it was passed (with whatever faults it may or may not have), I accepted the supposedly democratic decision and shutup for a long time. Check back in this thread if you don't believe.

I took the POV that the "professionals" hired and entrusted to design and construct the building needed to be given a fair chance to prove they were as good as they said they were. It was only when the build advanced to a stage that the obvious visible WTF moments started to roll in I opened my face again, on the basis that "if that's what we're supposed to put up with to do that, somebody needs to say something...."

I am personally negative about the mareel, I have heard many a story about the building/planning etc and to be honest it doesn't bother me in the slightest, I think it doesn't matter if we express wir feeling on this now or whether we'd done it when it was first in the pipeline it was going to be built regardless of our opinions. I still have my original feelings about the whole thing and would be happy to share it as an opinion the council made a backside of this "White elephant" there is so many other things the councils money should have been spent on such as a new Eric Grey Centre and to help keep money in the council funding then maybe we wouldn't be struggling with other money problems. This is only my opinion.

^ So commenting upon how designs can impact upon the disabled in detail isn't clear enough for you then, SP?

Good twist, pulling heart strings and moral sensibilities.

What I have noticed is that you still put an air of doubt into the work that has gone on, the sentiments of the people involved and the lot of those who do not complain and are happy.

The upsetting thing is when you come to use the venue, your mind will be in snagging mode, still. You may never fully appreciate the work and the vision of those who have pushed for this and have eventually delivered it.

You may not enjoy yourself. :cry:

I have been satisfied that the building has been designed by someone who appears to be competent, regardless of sex. Also, I wonder why you continued to call in the design and ask questions on this forum, actively used by less than 2% of the population of Shetland when your concerns would have reached a far wider audience if your points were published in the local rag or the internet paper.

Can you not understand why folk may think the worst of your reasons to post.

Anything good to say about the project?

^ So commenting upon how designs can impact upon the disabled in detail isn't clear enough for you then, SP?

Good twist, pulling heart strings and moral sensibilities.

What I have noticed is that you still put an air of doubt into the work that has gone on, the sentiments of the people involved and the lot of those who do not complain and are happy.

The upsetting thing is when you come to use the venue, your mind will be in snagging mode, still. You may never fully appreciate the work and the vision of those who have pushed for this and have eventually delivered it.

You may not enjoy yourself. :cry:

I have been satisfied that the building has been designed by someone who appears to be competent, regardless of sex. Also, I wonder why you continued to call in the design and ask questions on this forum, actively used by less than 2% of the population of Shetland when your concerns would have reached a far wider audience if your points were published in the local rag or the internet paper.

Can you not understand why folk may think the worst of your reasons to post.

Anything good to say about the project?

Your first comment is well below the belt, and you know it.

I don't deny that I'm sceptical about the outcome and how the venue will perform. It is you, however, interpreting an "air of doubt". BP has worked hard, there's no doubt about that, together with others involved, and I don't believe I've ever said they haven't put a lot of effort into it.

You are assuming I'll be able to afford to use the venue and you're also assuming that my mind will be in "snagging mode". Re the vision - the vision of those behind Mareel may well have changed as the SIC/whomever imposed changes.

Many a time when I've commented re the design I've been answering other posters' questions or comments and apart from that, I haven't commented on the design for ages. The local rag's mag did run an article on Mareel; blimey, how many of the comments made on this forum were repeated within it? Now I would have taken your advice and perhaps gone to a stakeholders' meeting and read further minutes but according to Mareel's website, there haven't been any published for at least 5 months ... :ponders:

It's finally gonna open, 'soft opening'.