Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

^ Cheers, Longdog.

What gets me, not just concerning Mareel's drink policy, but all establishments. I thought they had a duty by law not to serve anyone already intoxicated? I know that applies in English law (and yes, again I'm naive and ignorant re Scottish law) and that many establishments ignore it, but if establishments did follow it, then there would no need for a policy like Mareel intend to adopt.

It seems the only time places seem to remember their legal obligation concerning this is when the insurers come knocking when someone has died through alcohol poisoning/suffered a fatal accident on their premises where they have been absolutely legless, yet the bar staff have served them all day and into the evening, from opening time onwards ... or when a fight breaks out.

So whilst there is a duty on the person consuming booze not to get absolutely off their face, there's a duty on them selling the stuff too.

^ Cheers, Longdog.

What gets me, not just concerning Mareel's drink policy, but all establishments. I thought they had a duty by law not to serve anyone already intoxicated?

Correct. Not only that (and I might be wrong here) but, they also have to remove them from the premises.

Trouble with Mareel (and a few other places) is that because someone, somewhere has an 'agenda', the Law isn't good enough for them. Therefore they have to make up their own 'rules' and expect their staff to apply them.

I wonder if any of them have actually tried working in a very busy, and small, bar? I have and, believe me, it's not easy, More to the point, there just isn't enough time to quiz the punters about their age or anything else for that matter. Snap judgements are the order of the day and, if you get it wrong, look out for trouble.

Another issue is that over age people will buy drink for the under-agers because THEY think it's OK. Very difficult to prevent unless you have very pro-active stewarding.

As for the cocktails part of the original article. Don't make me laugh.. If you have a couple of hundred thirsty revelers in a dance hall, making cocktails just ain't gonna happen unless, of course, the queue at the bar agrees to wait 10 minutes or so whilst the head of the queue tries to impress his under age pals with his brilliance re: the ingredients..

"Mareel’s Door Policy promotes this positive atmosphere around drinking, with policies set to be put in place such as: regular searches conducted upon entry to the venue and anyone refusing to be searched or trying to bring concealed alcohol into the venue will be refused access."

And, of course, such staff will be SIA licence holders, displaying the same because if not, they are breaking the law if Mareel aren't licensed contractors which, according to the SIA database, they aren't.

Can understand that, but how do you feel about say if you were 28 but looked under 25 and they asked for your ID to ascertain that you were 18 or over?

Flattered?

Now if they were holding an event for say the over 25s then fair do, but I don't like the 25 scheme just to ascertain if you are over 18. You can end up with one member of bar staff thinking you look over 18 and another one doesn't. Why not just ask for ID upon entry, whack a stamp on your hand/place wristband/whatever and then show it at the bar? The bar area looks small enough as it is and no doubt the bar staff will be busy enough as it is, drink (less) policy in place or not.

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but one member of staff can think you're under 18 and another think you're over regardless of whether there's a Prove It scheme in place or not. What's your point?

Regarding the bar size, the building is licensed throughout, so they can operate as many bars as they like all at the same time. So, less chance of overcrowding at the bar. Besides which, any good barperson will check for ID regardless of how busy the place is, because it's part of their job.

"Mareel’s Door Policy promotes this positive atmosphere around drinking, with policies set to be put in place such as: regular searches conducted upon entry to the venue and anyone refusing to be searched or trying to bring concealed alcohol into the venue will be refused access."

And, of course, such staff will be SIA licence holders, displaying the same because if not, they are breaking the law if Mareel aren't licensed contractors which, according to the SIA database, they aren't.

Why would Mareel hold an SIA license? Those are for doormen, not buildings.

Are you sure you two don't just sit at home constantly thinking of new things to moan about? I'm quite willing to bet if SA hadn't published a responsible alcohol policy, you'd have found fault with that.

Why would Mareel hold an SIA license? Those are for doormen, not buildings.

Are you sure you two don't just sit at home constantly thinking of new things to moan about? I'm quite willing to bet if SA hadn't published a responsible alcohol policy, you'd have found fault with that.

Any establishment expecting staff to carry out what are deemed to be security duties either have to employ SIA license holding trained staff or be license holders themselves. Take, for example, on the boats. Now Serco already have a security division and are, as far as I'm aware, licensed contractors. Therefore, they could change their current arrangement and have "in-house" security staff.

These days security staff undergo a plethora of training courses and many are First Aiders. Gone are the days when you could employ a night watchman on a casual basis. If security staff are not "in-house", they pay a small fortune for their licenses and, as has been proven with the Olympic Games' security fiasco, don't get paid a fortune either, with many of them working a 60 hr week for between £7 and £8.50 an hour, many having no pension, sick leave, etc.

You want to be frisked/have your bags searched by someone unqualified? You want to encourage organisations to break the law? You want an untrained person to 'turf' you out of an establishment in an 'unsafe' manner?

Legally, you can refuse to be searched if the establishment or the staff are not SIA licensed and they can get a hefty fine.

And incidentally, I read about the drinking policy before it was mentioned this week in the press.

Happy now? No, you probably aren't just because I hold a differing view to that you hold.

Edit: So despite your sarcastic comment re Mareel having a license, you know I mean the Trust or the Trust's Representative, say the Mareel Manager. Those in charge, if using in-house staff and supervising them, would require a non-front line license - but then you knew that, didn't you?

I was under the impression that an sia contractor is a firm that hires out security staff - hence the need for a database.

I suspect that all Mareels doormen will be employed to work only for the Shetland arts development agency, and they won't be contracting them out.

Yet another poorly veiled attempt to find issues where there are none.