Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

I would but despite several requests to MODs they wont Install an ignore function

I don't think that they won't do it I just don't think they can with the software being used to run the forum. They need to update to the newer version of the software where you can add enemys or foes and their posts aren't shown to you.

I do agree though it would be a nice function to have.

You can say that again.

It would enable me to read the site without having to put up with the bombastic self righteous pish spouted by some.

and exactly where would be the fun in that? :D

I am guessing the miserable keyboard warriors from this thread wont be able to pull themselves away from their computers long enough to watch a film, what an embarrassment this thread is, can't believe people would spend this much of the summer arguing about nothing on the internet, and slating something that doesn't affect them ..

If you dont like it dont go .. It's not rocket science !!

I am looking forward to parking my car somewhere within walking distance, putting one foot in front of another and attending the various events and supporting Shetland arts where I can ..

I think this thread should be closed TBH , run its ugly course now !

I am guessing the miserable keyboard warriors from this thread wont be able to pull themselves away from their computers long enough to watch a film, what an embarrassment this thread is, can't believe people would spend this much of the summer arguing about nothing on the internet, and slating something that doesn't affect them ..

If you dont like it dont go .. It's not rocket science !!

I am looking forward to parking my car somewhere within walking distance, putting one foot in front of another and attending the various events and supporting Shetland arts where I can ..

I think this thread should be closed TBH , run its ugly course now !

Oh, I'd like to go but you appear to be missing something ... and it ain't rocket science either, and has nothing to do with the exterior design of Mareel.

I've seen the interior of the cinema, the foyer, the bar, the main hall, etc. and unless it is a naff photograph re the cinema, I'm not wrong. Have you seen the depth of the steps? Have you seen how steep the steps are? One large/high step, 2 paces forward (as opposed to the usual 3 paces), another step of different height, then large/high step and so forth (or something like that).

I'm not in a wheelchair and I can walk around even surfaces reasonably well but whack a slope/steps/stairs into the equation and it a whole different ball game; I can't even use escalators. I've been in various cinemas up and down the UK, some being more friendly towards the disabled than others. Ah yes, I shouldn't be ungrateful though, should I, and should just take it that like those in wheelchairs, we get to sit down at the front and end up with a crooked neck to add to the pain.

That aside, Mareel proposes to have mother and toddler film shows - have you tried getting a toddler to walk up steps like that or carry them whilst getting up the stairs yourself without falling?

Many modern cinemas are steep these days, especially when trying to utilise a small space.

Mareel, fit for purpose? No.

Will I go? Yes, I will go the once to see how I manage - but in this century, to hell with why I should have to suffer having to ask a member of staff to help me - modern buildings are meant to be 'friendlier' to those with disabilities these days. As I thought, it would appear a tick box exercise has been done: hearing loop (yes), DDA compliant lift (yes), wheelchair friendly reception desk (yes), wheelchair access to cinema and other areas (yes) - anyone not in a wheelchair/hearing or sight impairment - nope.

I'm sincerely hoping that it is just a naff photograph and that the steps are not as steep as they appear and that I can attend more than once (travel costs permitting).