Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

There are no booking fees for cinema tickets, only event tickets.

Comparing Mareel to cineworld is a bit ott. Choose a local 'one-off' cinema, not a chain, for a fairer comparison.

Cheers for that. I just chose the other nearest cinema.

Comparison with Barbican Centre (Edit: As it is a multi-purpose venue) then, chose film at random:

Seat - £9.50 (Get to choose)

Booking fee - £0.50 (Can be higher, depending on event)

Join for £20 and get 20% off future purchases.

Get to print out ticket (e-ticket) or collect at venue.

Okay, so £10 for a ticket inc booking fee, or £8 ish if you pay an extra £20. I think the prices for Mareel are likely to be better, looking at screenplay prices. I'd rather pay less and not have a pre booked seat - although I do appreciate that this makes it harder for people with disabilities.

And you can collect the tickets at the venue with Mareel.

I think it measures up not bad considering it's a much smaller venue.

Of course, we couldn't possibly expect such technology from an establishment that cost £20 million now could we? Wink

It would be more appropriate to compare Mareel to the picturehouse group who run small cinemas across the UK, they don't offer machines to pick up tickets, they don't offer reserved tickets, they do charge booking fees.

That would be comparing two similar organisations though and that of course doesn't suit your agenda.

@ JON, I don't have a blooming agenda - blimey, you almost sounded like SP there who bangs on about an MO! :wink:

Re the Picturehouse - I used to attend the one in Stratford, East London. You can get membership for something like £25 a year or thereabouts and then there was no booking fee and you get money off. They also do family tickets.

There was an online charge (currently £1.60) but you could get an e-ticket and choose your seat for certain films. Ticket price £8.50.

I think what DK may be concerned about is how us outside of town go about booking for a film; it certainly isn't clear on the box office website re the 7 days pick-up.

Speaking of websites I am surprised, especially given that staff have been in place for a while now, that Mareel's website hasn't changed from its 'holding page' - surely it can't have been that difficult to have had it ready and then as soon as they announced Mareel was open, to have had the saved "ready to roll" version uploaded?

Here we go again - nothing better to do than find something to criticise - give it a rest for christs sake

What exactly cost £20 million - get your facts right

I'm more interested in what the ticket prices are rather than the booking fees/arrangements

Ah Shoogler, I see you are living up to your name too - fancy giving it a rest for your own name's sake? Once you wake up, you may realise that we are discussing what has to be factored in when purchasing tickets if you live outside of town and don't work in town.

And yup, you right - I should have said £12 million, not £20 million - ooops - but then, I'm not fully awake yet either. :wink:

Living up to my name? explain please! I don't live in town either so no idea what that's about? Not clear what you mean by waking up either.

I am merely pissed off at your eternal ability to find fault with everything and anything - give it a rest please

^^ Shoogle - to shake up.

WHEN I find something positive that I like, rest assured, I'll say it - just like I did about having Roland onboard.

It isn't my fault Mareel is late in opening. It isn't my fault re the ticketing arrangements. It isn't my fault during the early days one of the arguments was that Shetland needed a larger capacity venue (larger than Clickimin?), as stated on the uchoob video when a group of Mareel supporters went to SIC. It isn't my fault Mareel's website has a holding page and that you have to go to Shetland Box Office to get a ticket at present. It isn't my fault no stakeholder minutes have been published since January ...

... a poster put on Mareel's Facebook page something along the lines of dragging Shetland into the 1990s ... all this talk re wonderful cinema, etc. - they have had 'em like that for years elsewhere.

Yes, it is good to have a cinema and another music venue. Yes, the technology is great - but is it all required?

Look how long people have been asking straightforward questions about ticket prices - to no avail.

So, the screen play is on - so no one at Shetland Arts has liaised with the company providing the films to ascertain what is on in the months to come and whacked them up on the website(s)?

You want something positive? Excellent idea moving the staff into Mareel; that'll save some money on renting the current offices.

^^ Shoogle - to shake up.

WHEN I find something positive that I like, rest assured, I'll say it - just like I did about having Roland onboard.

It isn't my fault Mareel is late in opening. It isn't my fault re the ticketing arrangements. It isn't my fault during the early days one of the arguments was that Shetland needed a larger capacity venue (larger than Clickimin?), as stated on the uchoob video when a group of Mareel supporters went to SIC. It isn't my fault Mareel's website has a holding page and that you have to go to Shetland Box Office to get a ticket at present. It isn't my fault no stakeholder minutes have been published since January ...

... a poster put on Mareel's Facebook page something along the lines of dragging Shetland into the 1990s ... all this talk re wonderful cinema, etc. - they have had 'em like that for years elsewhere.

Yes, it is good to have a cinema and another music venue. Yes, the technology is great - but is it all required?

Look how long people have been asking straightforward questions about ticket prices - to no avail.

So, the screen play is on - so no one at Shetland Arts has liaised with the company providing the films to ascertain what is on in the months to come and whacked them up on the website(s)?

You want something positive? Excellent idea moving the staff into Mareel; that'll save some money on renting the current offices.

You need to go and have a lie down or take a tablet or something - over reaction, OTT everything seems to be the order of the day.

By the way, i'm not a Mareel supporter, just sick of hearing nit picking and whinging the whole time

What a bunch of moanie minnies on Mareel prices. Do your research nitpickers!

You can buy a Mareel cinema golden ticket for £15 per month that will get you admitted to any film performance, any screen, any day and as many times as you like. That's as cheap as chips, less than a fiver a week!

Mareel Cinema programming is done in conjunction with City Screen, one of the best and most go-ahead cinema programming companies in the UK, but SADA has the option to programme itself too when required.

They also offer a wide range of digital screening content outside of cinema, from theatre and opera to sports fixtures and music gigs delivered well in advance of screening on a hard drive or downloaded by satellite as live programming.

Sorry you were disappointed at lack of published minutes etc, but I think SADA have been rather busy trying to get Mareel open. Just imagine moanies, what we could have seen if DITT had got their fingers out and delivered in the 18 months they contracted to build in - and that could yet cost them a few bob - we could have had the Olympics on the big screen as many digital cinemas did, Wimbledon (twice) athletics world championships and other fantastic sports fixtures live by satellite.

Before I close on this I would just like to pay tribute to all the hard working folk at Shetland Arts Development Agency who have not only carried out their normal routine work to develop and promote the arts in Shetland, but have also spent masses of extra time sorting out the problems inherent in a complex build project like Mareel. They have all done a fantastc job and we should be proud of what they have achieved.

That's the end of my contribution to these 185 pages on Mareel. You go on with all your nit picking if you will but I just want now to enjoy what Mareel is able to bring us and the boost it can bring to our creative industries. Who knows, I might see you there and you never know, you might even come to enjoy Mareel for yourselves. I certainly hope so. See you at Mareel...