Mareel - Cinema & Music Venue

madcow

147 pages

3600+ posts.

About a cinema.

Not just a cinema ... a death trap ?

Going on reports only .... You could be killed in the car park, or sliced and diced in the rotating doors, even before you have to negotiate the issue of tickets whilst brandishung a kalashnikov. Then you have to endure the torture of alternating decor schemes of blandness to so overpowering that you could have saved those drugs for tomorrow. Then you need to find your seat in the blinding lights, before having your hearing totally eliminated by the building destroying level of sound.

But, some folk have had nothing but praise for the carbunckle, and bless the NHS, are receiving treatment and expected to make a full recovery.

BTW, how many Olympic size swimming pools could you fit in Mareel ?

147 pages

3600+ posts.

About a cinema.

Not just a cinema ... a death trap ?

Going on reports only .... You could be killed in the car park, or sliced and diced in the rotating doors, even before you have to negotiate the issue of tickets whilst brandishung a kalashnikov. Then you have to endure the torture of alternating decor schemes of blandness to so overpowering that you could have saved those drugs for tomorrow. Then you need to find your seat in the blinding lights, before having your hearing totally eliminated by the building destroying level of sound.

But, some folk have had nothing but praise for the carbunckle, and bless the NHS, are receiving treatment and expected to make a full recovery.

BTW, how many Olympic size swimming pools could you fit in Mareel ?

:lik:

You left out getting crushed in the queue at the bar. :wink:

Why on earth are some folk calling it "the Mareel"??. It's not actually grammatically correct.

Mareel as a substance is a green phosphorence in the sea. If I was off in a boat and saw mareel I could say "see THE mareel"..

To keep calling Mareel "the Mareel" is, as I say, grammatically wrong and, well, just wrong....

:shock:

I dont think it matters, the mareel or mareel, its a daft word hocked oot of the shetland book of old words no-one cares about now, and used out of context.

shet arts have fallen into the daft trap that if they hock oot a old shetland word it will make them more 'shetlandy', thus more shetlanders will suport it etc.

Considering most of their day to day busniess will be showing american films day in, day out, it wont be that long untill folk will call it 'the cinema' or going to 'the pictures' (depending on their age) and never say the M word at all.

To most folk i'd guess they have no idea or care what the word mareel actualy is or means, as i said its in a book mostly of dead words.

your dead right but it's up to the individual what they want to call it, life is too short to think to much about it. The Mareel has enough problems on wheather the general public adds 'the' to the front of the name, I'd be more worried on what people add to the end of the name as in 'the mareel is ......!' add you own ending, or just look at the complaints re tickets and cafe and you will see that on their own facebook page. but they seem to have fairly thick skin rather than listen to the public. maybe Crative Scotland would be more interested to read how things are going

I dont think it matters, the mareel or mareel, its a daft word hocked oot of the shetland book of old words no-one cares about now, and used out of context.

shet arts have fallen into the daft trap that if they hock oot a old shetland word it will make them more 'shetlandy', thus more shetlanders will suport it etc.

Considering most of their day to day busniess will be showing american films day in, day out, it wont be that long untill folk will call it 'the cinema' or going to 'the pictures' (depending on their age) and never say the M word at all.

To most folk i'd guess they have no idea or care what the word mareel actualy is or means, as i said its in a book mostly of dead words.

M word ? Movies ?

Mareel Pies at half time, or is just popcorn ?

As I recall the name Mareel was chosen as part of a competition to name the then 'Cinema and Music Venue' - it wasn't Shetland Arts' suggestion, although they probably chose it from a shortlist.

As I recall the name Mareel was chosen as part of a competition to name the then 'Cinema and Music Venue' - it wasn't Shetland Arts' suggestion, although they probably chose it from a shortlist.

You recall is nearly right, yes they had a competition to name the new venue, if i recal the arts wife was on radio shetland telling folk the name they had chosen. They said they had a competition but then desided not to use any of the sugested names and they had come up with their own (after hocking throught the book of dead words). so no-one actualy won the said competition, or they made on they wanted not to be named - ie they thought of it themselves!

The last word was always going to be made by the trustees so they always were going to have the last desision on the name. As they were no public vote on the best sugested name = closed shop! its there baby so they can call it what they want, and we can add a 'the' on the front if we want! lol

all done now so makes no odds.

Da 3 bairns me and the hubby guid to Mareel for the first time last night.........i had a brilliant night, staff wir really pleasant and friendly. place was fantastic, my 7 yr old said to me "mummy it feels like im on my holidays".......as far as im concerned its great it will be a regular treat for wir family........brilliant thankyou for a night where all my boys guid hame wee a smeeg and left over pop corn

thanyou x

Why on earth are some folk calling it "the Mareel"??. It's not actually grammatically correct.

Mareel as a substance is a green phosphorence in the sea. If I was off in a boat and saw mareel I could say "see THE mareel"..

To keep calling Mareel "the Mareel" is, as I say, grammatically wrong and, well, just wrong....

:shock:

Thanks fer that, Kavi. I wondered what it meant.

We hed wir first visit tae Mareel on friday night, very impressed wi everything. Excellent seats, da staff were more den helpful and polite. It wid be good when booking tickets, if you could see a floor plan, an choose your seats, but apart fae dat we couldna fault it. Hed a really good time an will definitely be back in da very near future. Well done tae all da folk involved for finally gettin wis a proper cinema!! :lol: